Nyanya Tails

Roleplaying can be a great source for stories. But whether your stories come from roleplaying or whether you wrote them separate of anything else, this is the forum to post your stories. These stories can be funny, dramatic, epic in scale, of very small scope, or really anything you can think of. Note that this forum is for posting stories only. Discussions on stories and even just simple compliments should be posted in the Out Of Character forum or by sending a private message to the author.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Nyanya Tails

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

[i:1auwt8ae]Author’s notes[/i:1auwt8ae]

These stories contain no Eilistraee, no drow, heck it’s not even in the same setting. Yet I thought you might enjoy reading these short stories still and so I decided to post them. :)

As you might have noticed from my MSN Messenger ID I have another character by the name of Anyarei “Nyanya” Kittens. I originally created her for the online computer game City of Heroes where she was to be a sidekick to a close friend’s catgirl (or rather cat[i:1auwt8ae]woman[/i:1auwt8ae]) superhero character.

Yet in the months waiting for that game to be released I decided to write a couple of short stories taking place in her childhood and the result you can see below.

I’ll not waste too much time describing her (the stories should do that decently enough), except to say that she has wild, reddish-brown hair, two cat-ears on the top of her head, and a cat-like tail. [url=http://www.eilistraee.com/a/nyanya01.jpg:1auwt8ae]This[/url:1auwt8ae] is how she ended up looking (as an adult) in City of Heroes (before they introduced face/body sliders), but I think a better idea of what she’s like you can get from [url=http://www.bewildered-art.com/catgirls/ ... l:1auwt8ae]this picture[/url:1auwt8ae]. (And yes, that’s the Chosen of Eilistraee sponsoring Cocoa… I just never got around to putting the sponsor link up).

I hope you’ll enjoy the stories and if I ever write any more (I quite enjoy these little ‘tails’) I’ll add them here.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Prologue

[b:3tnep233]Catgirl: Anyarei "Nyanya" Kittens[/b:3tnep233][/size:3tnep233]

It was cold outside, cold and wet. Unrelentingly the rain beat down on the stone pavement and from time to time a roaring thunder broke what little was left of the night’s silence.

The children weren’t afraid though. Next to the fact that the inside of the orphanage was nice and warm—and pretty well lit—they had something else to occupy their minds then the weather beyond the walls and windows of their home. Miss Whiskers was missing, and Miss Whiskers was pregnant, due any moment.

Miss Whiskers was the orphanage’s house cat, a stray picked up from the streets one night. And since all the kids wanted to be the first to see the new kittens she would bring they were turning the house upside down in search for her. The attic had been searched half-a-dozen times already, as had all of the dormitories and the dining hall. But in the end it was little Jimmy who found her first.

Attached to the orphanage was a small garage where Ms Faldahy, the keeper of the orphanage, kept her car. The children weren’t allowed in there, which is likely why it took so long to find the pregnant cat. But Jimmy, always the naughty one, took a look in there anyway.

“Come here, look!” came the cry throughout the halls. Soon all the children pushed and shoved to find their way through the door into the garage. Ms Faldahy soon gave up on trying to keep them out, but did pass the children by to check on the cat and her litter.

Indeed, Miss Whiskers had given birth to nine healthy looking kittens. But there was something stranger still. The cat and her newborns lay quite comfortably on an old blanket behind a cast-aside bicycle. But together with them lay a female baby. She was sleeping quietly—as were the kittens—and Miss Whiskers had draped one paw protectively over the girl.

Ms Faldahy could see a tattered hospital bracelet around the babe’s wrist and tried to pick her up to read a name off it. But as she did the girl started to cry and Miss Whiskers started to hiss angrily, extending a claw. So the keeper just tore off the bracelet and placed the girl back with her adoptive ‘mother’, which seemed to satisfy both of them.

There wasn’t much readable left on the bracelet. Next to it being torn and tattered most of it had been blacked out with a black marker. But there was one thing she could still read, the girl’s first name: Anyarei.
Last edited by Shir'le E. Illios on Fri May 19, 2006 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Chapter 1

[b:2vg9v208]Nyanya and the Mouse[/b:2vg9v208][/size:2vg9v208]

Nya walked through the empty corridors of the orphanage. She was bored. All the other kids were outside, playing in the snow. But that was too cold and wet for Nyanya. Actually she was supposed to stay in the play room, but that was no place for an adventurous seven-year-old catgirl. So instead she prowled though the hallway.

Coming to a door she walked on tiptoes, her small claws at the ready and her look very concentrated. Closer and closer she inched, nearing the open doorway, until…

[color=orange:2vg9v208]“Rrrawwr!”[/color:2vg9v208]

Sticking her head past the opening she clawed at anything that might be inside. Looking left, looking right. If anything came she was ready to… Nothing. There was nobody there, no prey for her to catch. With a sigh she leaned her back against the wall, sitting down on the ground. This was no fun, there had to be [i:2vg9v208]something[/i:2vg9v208] she could do.

Suddenly, thanks to her honed cat-like instincts, or probably just chance, she noticed something move in the corner of her eye. Immediately she was at attention again, coming up on all fours and ready to strike at whatever movement she saw near the corner of the hall.

There! There it was again! Nya exploded forwards, sprinting to the corner with the nails of her hands ticking on the smooth floor. Skidding around the bend, and nearly smacking against the wall opposite, she peered into the hallway. Something small walked across the ground, across [i:2vg9v208]her[/i:2vg9v208] ground, in the distance and disappeared through the dark cellar door.

Again she spurted ahead, her target obvious now. With another wild [color=orange:2vg9v208]“Rrowwrr!”[/color:2vg9v208] she jumped into the darkness, tumbled down the short, wooden stairs and landed on her feet on the concrete, cellar floor. Where is it? [i:2vg9v208]Where is it?[/i:2vg9v208] Looking wildly about her and growling softly she tried to find another trace of her prey.

There, near the corner, a mouse! How dare it! Doesn’t it know that this is [i:2vg9v208]her[/i:2vg9v208] domain? Well, it will learn soon enough. With another leap she jumped right at the grey fiend, hoping to land on top of it. But the creature was too fast for her and darts behind a stack of crates against the wall.

Oh no you don’t. In less than a moment she was near the pile. With one arm she reached behind the crates, scraping her nails over the ground trying to grab the beast. Unconsciously she stuck her tongue out a bit between her lips from the concentration, pressing her head against the wooden stack.

But she couldn’t reach it. She could hear it, just out of her reach, squeaking at her, [i:2vg9v208]laughing[/i:2vg9v208] at her. Nya is not one for giving up though. If she can’t reach past the obstacle she’ll just [i:2vg9v208]remove[/i:2vg9v208] the obstacle. With a mighty swoop she pushed the top two boxes away, landing them on the floor. The top one cracked open, spilling its content, plastic scissors and colorful balls of string, across the dimly lit room.

Nya paid it no heed though, keeping her attention instead on where the mouse must still be. With another swoop she shoved aside two more crates and ducked again against the wall, pushing her arm in the crevice between the boxes and the red bricks.

This time she felt something moving under her hand. The Mouse! But it doesn’t sit still and just as she thought she got it the darned creature slipped away. Only for a moment could she hold on to its tail before losing it completely. She grabbed around wildly, but the creature sprinted away between her legs, granting her an upside-down view of it ducking between a couple of barrels.

That’s it, now he’s going to get it! Jumping up against the barrels she clawed ferociously at them, hoping to get the slippery beast thus. Many of her strikes missed, but she was certain that a few of them hit as well. The missing strikes hit the barrels instead, causing cracks to appear from which a red liquid started to trickle. Then she took a few steps back and jumped forward again, crashing against the barrels.

On the impact one of the barrels bursts, showering her in the stinking, red fluid. But between the wood splinters and the waves she noticed a small grey form. So she snapped her head forward and bit into it with her sharp fangs. Got ya!

[color=royalblue:2vg9v208]“Aagh!”[/color:2vg9v208]

On the sound coming from the top of the stairs Nya turned around to face it. There, standing in the light, was Ms Faldahy with her hands clasped in front of her mouth. Sitting in the ruins Nya smiled, the dead mouse still in her mouth. The keeper however did not look happy. [color=royalblue:2vg9v208]“Anyarei! What have you [i:2vg9v208]done[/i:2vg9v208]!”[/color:2vg9v208]

At her disillusion and scolding Nya drooped her head sadly, the mouse dropping to the ground. For a moment she pushed it through a puddle of wine towards the woman as if to say: “See, I did good. I caught it.” But the woman only looked more disgusted. [color=royalblue:2vg9v208]“Oh Nyanya, this is the worst! Well I never… Get up, clean yourself up and then go to bed. There’s no dinner for you tonight.”[/color:2vg9v208]

With drooped ears Nya pushed herself to a stand. With slow steps she walked past the angry woman, staring at the ground and liquid dripping from her hair and ears and clothes. For a moment she stopped and turned to look back at Ms Faldahy with a pleading look as if to ask for forgiveness. But the woman didn’t see her as she had already started cleaning. So Nyanya just shuffled off towards the dormitories.

At least she caught the mouse.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Chapter 2

[b:1t939nv8]Nyanya’s Run[/b:1t939nv8][/size:1t939nv8]

Nyanya stretched out languidly in her bed. The morning sun was already shining through her open window, warming her skin even without the sheets, which lay crumpled at her feet. Mmmm, he could stay here forever. But she wouldn’t, there simply were too many things she wanted to do today.

With a hop she jumped out of bed, her bare feet landing on the cold, laminate floor. Brrrr. Due to her irregular sleeping habits, and her tendency to wake the other girls in the middle of the night, she had been given her own room. So she didn’t know if the others were awake yet as she walked to the door, her feet tapping across the plastic ground and rubbing the sleep from her eyes with the back of her hand.

Usually she was one of the first to be up. After all, there was enough time to catch up on sleep later in the day. Thus she was surprised to see almost all the other children waiting for her in the hallway. What was going on? All of them stared at her, some obviously having trouble containing their giggling.

With a frown she looked down at herself to see what was wrong with her. Was it her clothes? Nope, she was wearing her oversized T-shirt with the mouse imprint just as she was supposed to. Many a night she had spent chasing those mice in her dreams. So if not that, what then? Looking up she frowned even more, scratching softly behind a large ear in puzzlement. Wait a second, what day was it today?

Suddenly it dawned on her and she just barely managed to dodge the two hands coming from behind trying to grab her. Oh no they don’t, not [i:1t939nv8]this[/i:1t939nv8] time. Evading the hands a second time she darted off into the corridor, the children running after her cheering. From behind her she could hear a voice raised over the turmoil: [color=royalblue:1t939nv8]“Anyarei! Get back here!”[/color:1t939nv8]

But Anyarei had other plans. Instead she ducked into the playroom, looking for cover. As soon as she did she knew she had made a mistake, for the playroom had only one door and thus only one exit! Quickly the spun around to run out again, but it was already too late. The kids were already pouring into the room with Ms Faldahy hot on their heels.

The children surrounded her, all of them shouting in excitement. Nyanya wasn’t happy though, not in the least. Some of them had decided to help Ms Faldahy and tried to catch her themselves. So she ducked and leapt and dodged just to avoid their grasps. Jumping sideways she landing into a tower of multicolored, wooden blocks, sending them crashing to the carpet. [color=orange:1t939nv8]“Leave me alone…”[/color:1t939nv8] she whined in a small voice as the figure of the keeper loomed over her and the children.

With the hope of desperation she saw an opening then, and decided to take it. Feigning left she ducked to the right, past the kids and between Ms Faldahy’s legs. She could feel a hand grabbing her tail, but she just swooped it sideways to jerk it out of the tentative grip. Bolting through the playroom door she ran into the hall and towards the front door… towards freedom!

For a moment the odds seemed to be in her favor as the door apparently magically opened itself, letting in the golden light of paradise. But her hopes were summarily smashed when a pair of large legs belonging to a man appeared in the opening just as she was about to go through. She looked back, but Ms Faldahy and the children were already closing in on her. Now there truly [i:1t939nv8]was[/i:1t939nv8] nowhere to go.

Pressing herself against the wall she crouched, trying to make herself small. [color=orange:1t939nv8]“Hsssss! Hsssss!”[/color:1t939nv8] Her tail stood up thick behind her as she hissed and clawed at the man with a fierce look in her eyes. Go away. Go away! The man however just laughed. [color=darkred:1t939nv8]“Now Nya, is that any way to treat a guest?”[/color:1t939nv8] With a laugh he bent over and picked her up, holding her under one arm so that she faced the wall.

[color=royalblue:1t939nv8]“Mr Williams, thank you.”[/color:1t939nv8] Ms Faldahy and the kids had just arrived at the scene. [color=royalblue:1t939nv8]“She can be such a handful during bathing day.”[/color:1t939nv8] As if fuelled by the words Nyanya kicked and screamed, wanting to be released. [color=royalblue:1t939nv8]“Would you mind bringing her to the bathroom?”[/color:1t939nv8]

[color=darkred:1t939nv8]“Not at all,”[/color:1t939nv8] answered Mr Williams, completely ignoring the catgirl’s struggles as he held her in his strong hold.

By the time they arrive in the bathroom Nya had surrendered, moping as she was placed in the bathtub. Ms Faldahy had sent the kids off to play and helped her out of her clothes before sitting her down in the warm water. Crossing her arms in front of her chest she felt less than cooperative when the woman started to wash and clean her with a sponge. With a short puff she blew away some of the foam on her head, wishing she [i:1t939nv8]had[/i:1t939nv8] stayed in bed this morning.

Baths are just [i:1t939nv8]not[/i:1t939nv8] for kittens.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Chapter 3

[b:3vl6nvcg]Nyanya’s Catnap[/b:3vl6nvcg][/size:3vl6nvcg]

Soft cushions for as far as the eye could see… Balls of yarn in various sizes and all the colors of the rainbow strewn about… Strategically placed bowls of milk everywhere… Enough mice running around to chase into infinity… And in the middle of all of this was Nyanya, having of course the time of her life. That is, until someone shouted in her ear.

Well, not [i:3vl6nvcg]in[/i:3vl6nvcg] her ear, but near enough. Nyanya open her eyes, reluctantly retreating from her heavenly dream. Through the blurry haze of her half-sleeping eyes she could see children around her, screaming and shouting as they were playing one game or another. And one of those games came a little too close to Nya, waking her from her sleep.

Irritated she turned around on her cushion. It was a sitting cushion really, such as the play room had several of, and intended for up to four children to sit on. But our catgirl had hogged one all to herself, curling up in a ball and using it as a bed. Now, with her face to the wall and her back to the noise she tried to get to sleep again. She could already almost smell the delicious scent of fish again.

Something hit the back of her head. Immediately Nya sat up, now fully awake and looking around her furiously. Who did that? What was that? Near her pillow lay a small, rubber ball with red and yellow stripes. Yet nobody came to claim it, so there were none to vent her anger on. Instead all she could do was try and get back to sleep. But now that she was completely awake the sounds of the children playing around here were just too overwhelming.

Holding her tiny hands over her large ears didn’t help any either. So for several minutes she just lay there, annoyed and with her chin pressed in the soft fabric. Then she spotted one of the other cushions. That one was unoccupied as well! She looked about her suspiciously, afraid someone was about to claim her place, and moved into a position ready to sprint.

Suddenly she exploded, running on all fours across the room until she reached the second pillow. Clawing her sharp nails into it she then started to haul it to her own cushion. Getting back took quite a bit longer, as the cushion was actually quite heavy for the young catgirl. She looked around nervously. No, her place was still free of any unwanted intruders. And luckily for her it remained that way until she reached it.

With another couple of strong hauls she pulled the second cushion halfway over the first one. There, that should do it. Now she could curl up on her own cushion again and stick her head under the second one. Nice and warm and, most importantly, it muffled all the other sounds in the room. Finally she could get some sleep, well deserved over dragging that second cushion all the way over here.

For some reason she still couldn’t sleep. Her heart was pounding in her chest, the sounds-- muffled though they were, were still too loud and from time to time someone bumped into her makeshift bed. This wouldn’t do, not at all. How was she supposed to get her nap like this? She crawled deeper between the cushions, almost as if trying to climb into them, her tail standing up in the air. But it was to no avail.

She sat up and sighed. If she couldn’t find any quiet here then she’d just have to try her luck elsewhere. With another sigh she stood up, dodged one of the boys as he came running past her, straightened her clothes a bit and left the room.

Right, where would she be able to find some peace? What about her room? Yes, that sounded like a good option. So without delay Nyanya went for her room, passing several children in the hall playing with marbles. The sparkling glass caught her eye and for a moment she considered staying to watch. But she was a cat on a mission so she didn’t linger and reached her room without further interruption.

Clawing with her sharp nails she made a soft spot for herself on top of the blankets. She was already purring slightly at the thought of lying down there and going to sleep. After a while she was satisfied and rolled up in a ball on the spot she had prepared. Drooping one arm over her head she tried to go to sleep.

She succeeded too… for a brief moment. She was just about to lick up some delicious milk from a large, golden dish when loud yelling outside awoke her, again. She sat up straight and pressed her little nose against the glass of her window. It seemed that the marble kids had decided to go and play outside… [i:3vl6nvcg]right under her window![/i:3vl6nvcg]

Nyanya pounded on the glass once, trying to get them to be still. But they paid her no heed. In utter indignation she sat back against the head of her bad, pouting grievously. There must be [i:3vl6nvcg]some[/i:3vl6nvcg] place where she could get some quiet. Then it came to her. Of course… the attic! The children weren’t allowed there and it was far enough away to be quiet. So without further ado she jumped up and went to the hallway to find the stairs going up.

The attic was dim and a bit dusty. Various old junk was stored here, but Nya spent no time exploring them. Another time perhaps. Instead she just found a large chest with a stack of old clothes in it. Purr-fect. Within second she was on top of the pile, dozing off into darkness. Finally she would be able to sleep. Finally there were to be no more interruptions. Finally she could have her catnap. And she drifted away on her dreams…

A loud ringing sound echoed throughout the building, rousing the catgirl from her sleep again. For a brief moment she was absolutely furious… until she realized what it was. The dinner bell! Not wasting a second more on being disgruntled she hopped out of the chest and bolted downstairs, to the dinner hall.

Sleeping was the furthest thing from her mind.