Be careful what you wish for...

Roleplaying can be a great source for stories. But whether your stories come from roleplaying or whether you wrote them separate of anything else, this is the forum to post your stories. These stories can be funny, dramatic, epic in scale, of very small scope, or really anything you can think of. Note that this forum is for posting stories only. Discussions on stories and even just simple compliments should be posted in the Out Of Character forum or by sending a private message to the author.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Shayera
Maid
Maid

Be careful what you wish for...

Post by Shayera »

Chapter 1: A day off

I finally had a day of my own. Finding the book for my client had been almost too easy, and she was overjoyed to finally hold it in her hands. Considering the high bonus i received it must have been like christmas to her, and i already had plans to put the money to a good use.

The only thing which hindered me to wear an especially wide smile was the typical english summer. It simply rained cats and dogs, although even this was an understatement regarding the downpour. I had considered using a taxi, but the subway was nearby, and i intended to take a bath in my hotel instead of the cold shower on the streets waiting for it.

Luckily i didn't have to wait long within the crowd. I boarded and carefully made my way to the end of the compartment. For today i had only two appointments, one with Mike, who is my trainer in Karate, and the last one with myself. Last time Mike got me with an, in my opinion, unfair trick, but if all works out it will be his turn to go down... ah, sweet revenge... and then a wild shopping-spree. This day will just be perfect.

The screeching stop of the train interrupted my daydreaming.

“Ladies and Gentleman. We are sorry for this delay, but we have minor troubles with the electric systems. We will conti...” Suddenly the speakers and lights went dead.

“Stay calm. It's just a powershortage, it can happen sometimes in these old tunnels.” The calming voice in the dark went silent, but the shuffling feet and murmurs, which had started as soon as the light went out, stopped.

Sure what else could it have been? But why did i have this gutfeeling that something was terribly wrong? As i noticed a shimmer at the one of the walls outside our train. I slowly turned around to take a look.

“The lights are coming back, everything will...” i stopped, these weren't the lights – there was a wall of fire racing towards us “Fire... There's a fire coming!”

For a second there was absolute silence, then the panic started. Everyone was screaming and tried to get to the doors. Some people fell and were trampled by the ones behind them. Everyone ran, everyone except me... i simply couldn't move... the only thing i was able to do, was to look at the oncoming fire.

Soon the heat and the stench of sulphur were almost unbearable, and still i wasn't able to move... It was as if i had been frozen to the ground.

There was something... something moved within the fire... something big... something that radiated hate... an unbelievable enormous hate against all living beings...

“Miss...” the touch of a hand on my shoulder ended my nightmare “Miss, are you alright?”

“Yes, thank you.” i answered the stewardess which looked at me curiously. “I just had a nightmare, thats all”
“We will be landing in London in around 45 minutes. Do you need anything?” her smile never faltered.

“Yes, i'd like to have a scotch – single malt, no water, no ice.” I rarely drink alcohol, but this nightmare had been so real... and the sixth repetition in a row. Everyday the same dream... each one more realistic than the one the night before... i badly needed a drink.

Suddenly the face of a 9 or 10 years old boy, appeared between the seats in front of me, who was looking at me with big eyes.

“Miss, are you having the nightmares too? The ones with the real big fire and the moving monsters?” not waiting for an answer, he continued “You know, they are coming soon. Nobody believes me, but i know they are coming.”

“Tommy, come back here immediately!” a young woman looked at the boy in front of me, and made an impatient gesture.

“Take care, they are coming soon.” Tommy whispered before he ran back to his mother.

A cold shiver ran down my spine, while i watched him return to his mother. “Maybe one drink isn't enough.” i whispered to myself, while the thought “They are coming.” echoed through my mind.
Shayera
Maid
Maid

Post by Shayera »

Chapter 2: An old friend

Flying Business Class has its advantages, better food, better drinks, more space, and so on. But there is always the same when you finally arrive at your destination: customs examination and luggage counter. If those wouldn't exist i could really enjoy a flight, but after some activities of terrorists the controls have been reinforced again and again.

Seeing other lands and having some fun, especially when a deal turns bad, seemed just perfect, and i was paid generously for my work.

But this time everything about the deal just felt wrong, and now my luggage had been accidentally stowed on a flight only-god-knows-where. So i only had what i was wearing now, and my hand-luggage. Just great... luckily i still had the carefully wrapped package in my briefcase.

Still furious i made my way to the mainexit of the airport, when i saw someone who made me stop dead in my tracks. At a distance of maybe 10 meters, stood the guy which had been shadowing me the whole time.

He was just standing there, staring at me with a cold smile which didn't reach his eyes. But that couldn't be, i had taken the first flight in the morning, and i was absolutely certain that he wasn't on the plane. Suddenly there was a loud crash behind me, and i instinctively looked over my shoulder. An old gentleman had accidentally dropped his cup.

It had been less than a second, but as i turned back again, the man was simply gone. I looked around, but it was as if he simply had turned into thin air.
“Hey Shay, over here!” the thundering voice of Allan was unmistakeable. I waved and slowly walked to his side.

Allan is one of the few real friends i've got. Just imagine a bear walking on two legs, and a roughcut but friendly face. Now put it all in a suit, add a deep voice, a huge amount of charisma, a very sharp mind, and you'll have quite a close idea of him. He's certainly not a handsome guy, but he's something very rare today – he's absolutely trustworthy.

“How was your trip, and did you find it?” his smile almost reached from ear to ear as we went to his car.

“I acquired the antiquity we were hired to look for, about the rest we will have to talk later.”

As he heard my tone his smile immediately vanished.

“Trouble?” he asked, i only nodded.

The drive to his office, in one of the many suburbs of London, seemed very short. He is the owner of several apartments, which were scattered over London, and also the owner of a company specialized in the recovery of rare objects. His little office showed little of the success of this business, and only a trained eye could see the real worth of the furniture. The only concession to modern times was his computer and the state-of-the-art telephone. As we sank into the leatherchairs, he changed from friend to businessman.

“Well, lets first see what we got that it deserves a price of 100000£. It must be very special that our client is offering so much. Then we can talk about the rest” I opened my briefcase and carefully unwrapped the bundle.

“It's definitely an old handmade book about witchcraft dating from the 12th century. The pages were written with a strange red ink which i wasn't able to identify... we would need a laboratory for that. But the biggest mystery is the language and the used script. The later pages are clearly latin, but look at the first pages... these symbols and drawings don't fit in at all. Either these were made by a madman, or they are much much older than the rest. But all these things don't really matter...” i had to stop and clear my throat “i think we should destroy it!”

Any other person would have been throtteled now, only for suggesting to break a contract. He only looked at me and asked “I know you for many years now, and you never even considered breaking your word. Why now?”

“This damn thing is cursed” i wasn't able to look into his eyes any longer.

There was a short moment of silence, then his roaring laughter filled the room.

“Damn... Shay... you got me there. I almost believed you were serious about destroying that book.” then he noticed my face “Lord, you are serious.”

He just walked over to his bar, filled a glass with a generous portion of his favourite scotch, and put it in front of me.

“Don't even think about refusing the glass, and don't think about giving me a short answer to my next questions. What scares you so much, and why should we destroy the book?”

Sipping a bit of the scotch, i collected my thoughts.

“First of all, we were not the only ones looking for the book. The widow of the previous owner was contacted by two other parties, but she refused them. When i picked it up she was clearly frightened, and she urged me to leave her country fast. The next day she was dead, murdered! My hotelroom was searched, although they tried to hide the fact...” i took another sip. “I think it was done by a professional, not just a common thief, 'cause i almost didn't notice.”

“Come on, this all might be coincidence.” Allan interrupted.

“It might” i agreed “but there are some things about this book which worry me. The previous owner Mr. Kharnov killed himself, but left a note. He wrote that the shadows are walking again in human disguise, and he included a picture of a man. I noticed him at the sale, and then in Prague again. He was even at the airport today. In Prague is a painting from the 14th century with the same guy on it, so Kharnov took a photo of someone who should be dead for around 600 years, and now he's following me!” i handed him the picture in addition to the ones i had made with my digicam.

He glanced at the pictures, then put them aside. “This is a bit strange, but look at it in another way. The guy on the painting might just be an ancestor of the man on the photo. But if someone is following you, i'll find him, there are still some cops which owe me a favor or two.”

“Do that, but i also researched the last five owners of the book. Each person either went mad, or comitted suicide. All the medical files about the mad ones mention paranoia, nightmares, and some talk about demons, shadows in disguise, and gates to hell. The scary thing is, i'm lately having real bad nightmares too... they started the day i bought this damn book.”

I told him everything about my nightmares, even about the young boy i had met on my flight to London.

“Now you're throwing to much in one pot. If i'd been reading all that stuff i'd have nightmares too! I don't have to remind you how some of these kids simply look for attention, right? Where's the easy-go-lucky girl i met at the university? Where's the ex-cop with the nose for hidden facts? You're simply having some jet-lag combined with exhaustion!” his voice calmed a bit, and showed his concern for me “Beginning tomorrow you'll have two weeks off, get some food, and a good nights sleep. In some days you'll laugh about all this. Here's the key to of my appartment near the Themse, you may also take the black jaguar.”

His words calmed me a bit. There simply had to be a logical explanation for all that had happened, and i really hadn't slept enough within the last days.

“Besides our client, Mrs. Sullivan, wants to thank you in person for all your efforts. She called an hour ago, and said she'll be expecting you at 8 o'clock in the evening at her house, and that she needed something besides the book. But she only wanted to talk to you about it. Please be punctual.”

I snorted angrily, if there was something i hated, it was being unpunctual. Last time it was me waiting for him, but he had learned his lesson not to make this mistake twice.

He handed me the book again and showed me to the door.

“If there's something that i can do for you, don't hesitate to call me.” he gave me one of his big smiles “I'll call you as soon as i find something about this strange guy, don't worry about him anymore. He'll be handled.”

Allan sat behind his desk watching the street below, as his black jaguar left the garage. He hesitated for a second, then picked up his phone and dialed a number. It was a number which was reserved for emergencies only.
Shayera
Maid
Maid

Post by Shayera »

Chapter 3: Secrets

“Cordwyn here,” he simply said as someone answered the phone “I'm ordering condition Zulu, there's a lost one following the book of the Kabal... He's right here in London, I'll send a picture via e-mail to you. ... We'll have to hasten our schedule. ... Mike Sullivan will return to London next month, we have to recruit him as soon as he returns. ... Do you remember the eurasian woman I mentioned before? ... Yes, that's the one. ... Keep a close eye on her. ... Do that, but remember that she's a friend not an enemy. I hold you personally responsible for her safety. ... Deus vult, brother.“

Allan Cordwyn, chapter-leader of the templar, hung up and sighed deeply. There was still so much to do, and so little time left. Today he had lied to a close friend, and he didn't like that at all. Her talk about the nightmares had disturbed him much more than he wanted to admit. If she was right, they didn't have years to prepare, it looked as if there were only months, maybe even weeks left. But they should be safe, as long as Mike Sullivan didn't return to London.

There were simply too many secrets, today he almost told her the truth. Then he remem­bered the thougt he had, when he saw her defeat some thugs. [i:1wvd2d0u]“Why shouldn't we do it?”[/i:1wvd2d0u] he asked himself, [i:1wvd2d0u]“It's the 21st century, and we simply don't have enough men.” [/i:1wvd2d0u]He picked up the phone again.

[i:1wvd2d0u]“She'll become one of the first female templar and I bet she'll do fine. I wouldn't be surprised if the elders will kiss my behind after a month or two.” [/i:1wvd2d0u]This thought made him grin broadly...

I had just managed to get some sleep, a new dress, and a short shower/bath into the timeframe. But one thing had really improved my mood. Mike was coming back to London today. We already arranged a sparring session for tomorrow, and I was sure he would try to hire me again as a trainer for his studio, like he did last time.

It was 19:55 when I finally arrived at the house of Mrs. Sullivan. James, the old butler, opened the door, and as usual there were some meowing cats greeting me. It had always been that way, wherever I was, within a hour or two a cat would try to get my attention. They simply love me, and I’ve got to admit that this feeling is mutual.

A minute or two later James coughed politely, “Madam, I'm sorry to disturb you, but Mrs. Sullivan is waiting for you.”

“Thank you James,” Some of the cats protested loudly as I stopped stroking them.

He only nodded, from my earlier visits he knew better than trying to separate me too early from them. Some of the cats had quite a mischievous way of showing their displeasure. Especially when they thought that someone didn't show them their due respect.

“Would you please follow me to the library?” He led me to the doors on the first floor.

“My dear Shayera,” Mrs. Sullivan stood up with a smile as I entered, “It's good to see you again. You've been absent from my house for much too long.”

Mrs. Deirdre Sullivan is a woman you simply had to like, she reminded everyone of a nice old grandmother. But there was some steel underneath the silk, she clearly showed, in all politeness, if she liked someone or not, and only fools angered her more than once. Same was true for her willpower, everything she set her mind to, she sooner or later achieved.

It's been almost four years that we've met the first time, and like now an old book had been the reason for it. If Deirdre had one weakness, it was her strong interest, some would say obsession, in books about the paranormal. The biggest part of her library was devoted to this area.

On the wooden shelves you could find all sorts of books in a very unusal way of sorting. The “Necronomicon” side by side with books of E. A. Poe, Jung's “Unaussprechliche Dinge” in a row with N. A. Collins “Midnight Blue”, T. Brandes “Regnum Draconis” next to the works of H. P. Lovecraft.

Many times we've been sitting here discussing the content of a new addition to her collection. I was skeptical about them, but she always insisted that there was a hidden grain of truth in some of these books.

After one of these discussions she had even given me an old amulet. I refused it at first, but she insisted that I wore it for luck.

We shook hands and sat down on the comfortable armchairs near the fireplace. I carefully retrieved the package from my briefcase, while Mrs. Sullivan poured me a cup of tea.

“You cannot imagine how long I have been waiting for this moment. The moment until I would hold this book in my hands aga...” she interrupted herself “But drink your tea, the rain outside is chilly for this time of the year.”

She almost reverantly unwrapped the book, while I was drinking some of the tea. [i:1wvd2d0u]“What does she want to hide? Could it be that she almost said 'again'?” [/i:1wvd2d0u]suddenly I had a very bad feeling about being here, something wasn't right.

“Mr. Cordwyn mentioned that you needed something else beside the book,” I said to break the silence.

She only looked at me with a sad smile and softly said, “What I need besides the book is already here.”

Something was definitely wrong, as my vision started to blur I tried to stand up. But my legs were shaking so hard that I fell to the ground. Soon I began to slip into a darkness which was almost welcoming me.

Strangely though I was still able to hear her voice, “My dear child, I have been waiting for the book... and for you of course.”
Shayera
Maid
Maid

Post by Shayera »

Chapter 4: Dragon tooth

The first impression I had, after waking up, was the headache which almost seemed to split my skull. That, and the sensation on lying bound and naked on a hard cold surface. It took several minutes until I was able to remember what had happened before. Abruptly I tried to open my eyes, but to no avail, someone had also blindfolded me.

[i:1fdb8tgj]“Why did Deirdre do this to me? What is it she needs me for?” [/i:1fdb8tgj]it was hard to supress my fear and remain calm [i:1fdb8tgj]“I need to get out of this place first, then I can search for the reasons, whatever they are!”[/i:1fdb8tgj]

First I tried to slip out of the restraints, then to break them, but failed miserably. The only success I had, was that the ropes cut even deeper than before. I was covered in sweat when I stopped my attempts, and the only option left to me was to wait for my captor. If she made a mistake, I might be able to use it to my advantage.

I don't know how long I waited in the darkness, but I finally heard someone opening a door. Footsteps came closer and closer and finally stopped at my side, as a hand felt for my pulse, I instinctively shrank back a bit.

“You're awake, very good, I almost feared I overdid the dose,” Deirdre said, “Too bad that there's not much time left, so we have to hurry everything a bit.”

“What's going on, and why are you doing this to me?” I asked angrily “You know that Allan will tear down London if I suddenly vanish.”

“Allan? Ahh, you mean Mr. Cordwyn. You really don't know who he is, do you?” she calmly replied, “But thats not really important now. Mr. Cordwyn will have too much to do... I really doubt that there will be enough time left for anyone to search for you. The gates are almost open, and they are coming very soon. Some of them are already here.”

There was this feeling again, the instinctive feeling that something terrible was going to happen. I already feared that I wouldn't like the answer to my next question, but there was no other way, I had to know, “Who are 'they'? What do 'they' want?”

“Isn't it obvious? We've talked so much in the past, and still you don't see... You should really learn to listen,” this time Deirdre sounded almost angry, “The demons are coming soon, and they intend to invade our world. Those already here are either preparing the gates or seeking to destroy the ones that are dangerous to them. People like you and me.”

I was taken aback, she couldn't be serious about all that, but I could hear in her voice that she meant every single word she had said.

“Every human being has a small bit of magic within, some more, some less. But the belief in science and logic leaves no space for something else, magic is illogical, so it can not be real... can not exist at all,” this time her voice shook with anger, “They are all so blind, they just don't want to see the signs!”

She pressed a cup to my lips and ordered me to drink. I hadn't noticed how thirsty I was until she did so, but the cool coppery tasting liquid was a real wellspring.

“But we have to start now,” this time her calm voice almost seemed apologetic, “I'm really sorry that I have to force this on you, but there is no more time left. But remember two things, first I only do this to give you a chance, otherwise you would be dead by tomorrow. Secondly, your anger will give you power, but you have to control it, or you will burn yourself out.”

At first there was only something cool at my left forearm, then the pain started. It almost felt as if my arm was on fire, this time it was me welcoming the darkness which soon engulfed me...

Two hours later Deirdre, the last living witch in London, finished the symbols protecting the cellar. No demon would be able to enter or even sense the sleeping form under the blanket there. So far her vision of the future had come true, the dried demonblood hidden within the book, the woman which brought it, now there was only one thing left to do...

[i:1fdb8tgj]“Too bad that I didn't have the chance to spend more time with my daughter in blood. This woman has the heart of a warrior wishing for adventure, and at the same time the capacity to become one of the greatest cabalists. I almost feel sorry for those who try to control her,”[/i:1fdb8tgj] she chuckled at this thought, [i:1fdb8tgj]“The demonblood she drank will awaken her powers and prolong her life. I just hope I did not give her too much...”[/i:1fdb8tgj]

Still lost in thought, she went to the library, waiting for her last visitor this night.

The dragon tooth had been sown...

Waiting for its time to awaken...

Waiting for the time of revenge.
Shayera
Maid
Maid

Post by Shayera »

In case someone liked that story, here's a link to download it:

[url=http://home.arcor.de/d.leukel/Shayera/Wish.pdf:1nzo1z2y]Wish.PDF[/url:1nzo1z2y] (rightclick - save as)

If you like the story, and want to see more, just tell me. :D
Shayera
Maid
Maid

Post by Shayera »

Chapter 5: End of the World

The shadow-clad figure watched the house with unblinking eyes. He had been watching the house for the whole day, but almost no one noticed him. The few that did, only took a short look at the hard, cold eyes before they immediately quickened their steps.

The ice cold rain had sent everyone looking for a warm place, and he was still standing there. He wasn't even touched by the strong wind his long hair did not stir, nor did his black trenchcoat move a bit. It was as if he was there, and at the same time... wasn't.

If there had been an observer, he would have been surprised at the sudden change. The head of the dark figure suddenly snapped left, looking east. For a moment there seemed to be an angry red glow in the eyes, but then the man turned his gaze to the house again. Only a few seconds later, the man moved for the first time in hours. He slowly went to the entrance of the house he'd been watching and silently opened the front door.

[center:28atgo9u]*********[/center:28atgo9u]

Allan Cordwyn was angry... He had finally received some reports in the evening, but the news were not good at all. The shipment of the experimental weapons had been delayed, Mike Sullivan had returned to London, and the search of the lost one didn't go well at all. On top of that, some of his brothers had either vanished or died in strange accidents.

[i:28atgo9u]“There are too many things going wrong at the same time, it is as if we are already under attack,“ [/i:28atgo9u]he thought angrily, [i:28atgo9u]“Brother Cedric slipping on a ladder and breaking his neck? Very unlikely, that guy was so afraid of heights, he wouldn't even climb on a chair!“[/i:28atgo9u]

[i:28atgo9u]“At least we got Mr. Stanton in our care now. If we weren't looking for the lost one, we might have overlooked his return. This one will train our recruits, and he's one of the best trainers around,“ [/i:28atgo9u]standing at the window, he tried to find some good things in all these reports,[i:28atgo9u] “Now there's only Shay left, maybe I should call her tomorrow. The elders had approved her grudgingly 'This will only be a test, if we can allow women in our ranks'. These old fools would need a manual to wipe their a...“[/i:28atgo9u]

He almost overheard the soft noise behind him, quickly he turned around and saw the man Shay had shown him on the picture, standing in front of him. Allan opened his mouth to speak, but the sudden pain in his chest stopped him before he could say a single word. He was dead before he hit the floor.

The disguised demon stood over the man he had just slain, and licked the blood from his hand. The flesh he wore had worked perfectly, but he was happy that it wasn't necessay for much longer. The opening of the gates was only hours away.

“So nice of the black mage to give me his body, and so convenient. Now there is only one target left, and she can't escape,“ he thought with a grin before he knelt down, “But there's really no need to hurry now, and I'm hungry.“

Tommy ran home through the rain. His mother hadn't been feeling well for some hours, and he had been out to fetch some medicine from the apothecary at the corner. He ran up the stairs of the old house to the front door. He paused for a second as he opened the door- where was his dog? Normally she was waiting for him when he returned home.

“Mom, Lexy, I'm back!“ he cried as he hung his jacket on a hook on the wall.

All was quiet, he almost went to his room to look for Lexy, but he heard a soft tearing sound coming from the living-room. He opened the door and saw his mother standing with her back to him. She held something close to her chest, and there was this wet tearing sound again.

“Mom, i've got the medicine you wanted,“ Tommy said, “Have you seen Lexy?“

His mother dropped what she was holding, and slowly turned around. Her eyes had become a milky white, and her bloodstained mouth was still chewing something.

Tommy just stood in the doorway with wide eyes, “...Mom?“

James, the old butler, went to open the frontdoor. Mrs. Sullivan had told him to wait for a late visitor, and it looked like her guest had finally arrived.

The pain in his joints grew worse every year, especially when it was raining outside, but he never considered to quit. He had been working here for so many years that he couldn't even imagine himself going to pension. He would be here until his final day.

Deirdre was sitting in front of the fireplace, as the door of the library opened. She didn't need to see it to sense the demonic presence.

“I have been waiting for you...“ she said with a cold smile as she turned around.

“Where's the bearer of the book?“ the bloodsplattered demon growled “Tell me, and you might live to see the morning.“

“You forgot to add 'please' to your question.“ Deirdre couldn't resist to tease the demon. “My daughter in blood is safe from all of your kind.“

With a snarl the demon jumped at her, but was thrown back as a bolt of fire slammed into his chest. The clothing was ablaze immediately, and soon the smell of burned flesh filled the library. There was a ripping sound, as the demon discarded the human flesh disguising him, and soon he was again advancing on the lone figure at the end of the room.

Deirdre cast one bolt after another, but the demon came closer and closer. He was thrown back whenever he was hit, but it simply wasn't enough.

“He is just too fast.“ Deirdre whispered to herself. “I have to stop him now!“

The demon blinked in surprise as the bolts suddenly stopped, then he jumped straight at this woman which had hurt him with her spells. His outstretched claws almost touched his target as a glowing ball appeared between them. He shrieked as he touched it, then everything vanished in a blindingly white light.

It was exactly midnight as the top of the house was consumed in a huge ball of fire.

John Silvara was snoring happily as someone banged loudly at his door. He had finished his shift two hours ago, and he had fallen asleep while watching TV.

“Just a moment!“ he called angrily.

[i:28atgo9u]“This better be important...“ [/i:28atgo9u]he thought, [i:28atgo9u]“First we have to take doubleshifts at the policestation, now someone tries to ruin the rest of the day!“[/i:28atgo9u]

Still yawning he opened the door, and looked at his little visitor. Tommy was one of the kids in the house he knew well. The father of the boy had died years ago, and Tommy had adopted him as an 'uncle'.

It took only a short look at Tommy's face to see that something was wrong. The boy was weeping and his face was white as a sheet.

“Hey Tommy,“ he shook the boy softly, “What's wrong? What happened?“

“It's my Mom...“ Tommy replied still sobbing, “she killed Lexy... and now... now she's trying to kill me too... I just... just managed to shut her in...“

John looked at him questioningly, the boy was clearly in shock, but the splintering sound of wood upstairs pushed him into action. He quickly grabbed the boy and pulled him in before he shut the door again.

There had been strange happenings in the last few days... people going mad and attacking their friends and neighbors... some had even tried to eat the ones they had killed.

He went for his gun and checked the ammunition while 'Big Ben' was chiming midnight.

The earthquake took everyone by surprise, and all over London chaos ruled supreme. There were fires springing up everywhere, explosions could be heard in the distance, and lights went out as the powerplant vanished in a cloud of smoke.

But worst of all were the red, glowing gates which suddenly appeared... there were dark shapes moving inside these gates... shapes which soon transformed into nightmarish creatures... with a roar of triumph the first demons entered the dimension they had anticipated for so long...

Minor gates had opened in other places before, but it was then that the real invasion of our world started...