Small Favor

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Alak Xiltyn
Regular

Small Favor

Post by Alak Xiltyn »

no I don't have one to ask, it is however the title of my most recent read and the 10th book in the ever amazing Dresden Files series.

I finished the book a couple of days ago (okay so it was the day it came out, sue me) and was pleasantly surprised to find that a number of my predictions had come true and equally pleased that a number of others had been ever so far off of the mark.

I was curious if there were any other part-time residents of the Dresdenverse here and what their thoughts on Harry's latest misadventure were. and please no spoilers.

For those of you who may not be familiar with the Dresden Files think of it as a cross between noir detective novels and Buffy the Vampire Slayer and is often compared to the work of Laurel K. Hamilton. Heres a link to the author's site and book 1 http://www.jim-butcher.com/books/dresden/1/
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

I think I once saw one or two episodes from the television series. But I can't recall being that impressed. Felt that it could've gone somewhere though.

As for the books, no I haven't read any of them.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Alak Xiltyn
Regular

Post by Alak Xiltyn »

I was in the same boat with the TV series, it could have been the next Buffy the Vampire Slayer and got rating comparable to BSG but just didn't generate "the buzz"

Personally I wasn't terribly impressed with the TV show, even less so once I read the books, it simply failed to capture the essence of the books, though much of Harry's whit is there none of his convictions and personal dilemmas were present in any recognizable form.

If you haven't already you should read the sample chapters to book 1 or maybe even listen to the audio clips from the audio books, they really capture a lot of what the series has to offer.
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire
Vendrin
Maid
Maid

Post by Vendrin »

Read the books. They are one of the best series I have ever read.
"What does God want? Does God want goodness or the choice of goodness? Is a man who chooses evil perhaps in some way better than a man who has good imposed upon him?"
Alak Xiltyn
Regular

Post by Alak Xiltyn »

Glad I'm not alone. Any one book stand above the others for you? personally Dead Beat blew me away.