Random question time

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Narsia Ny'Dhun
Resident

Random question time

Post by Narsia Ny'Dhun »

Okay, so a friend actually asked me this and I had no idea the answer. What is the spell/whatever it is that turns a drow into a dryder?
Harl l'drathir udos alure, Eilistraee lu'Anixiel ulu kyorl udossa zuch
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

I don't think there's actually any specific spell for it (I might be wrong, but I've never seen any). After all, the decision isn't in the hands of mortals but in the hands of gods (Lolth specifically). And considering that it's a permanent and irreversible effect (as far as I'm aware) if it were a spell it'd be a pretty epic one, because the spall is akin to creating a race to begin with.

So no, I don't think there's a spell for this and that it's directly Lolth's power doing it.

Maybe, and this is speculation, over the course of whatever test a drow would have to go through to prove whether they're worth staying a drow or should be turned into a drider they open themselves up to Lolth's powers giving her the ability to affect them so or such. Or maybe it's something that's tied to her being in power of the drow race's destiny. But I think it's safe to say that if you don't worship her (or Selvetarm presumably) then you're safe from this risk.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

What we know about this is when Lolth decides to test a Drow which can be at any level (though the average range was 8 to 12) if Lolth decided they failedthe one outcome was being turned into a Drider by her Divine force.

If it is a spell the spell level is higher then any mortal can ever cast.

That said if you wanted to design a spell I would base it on polymorph other and permenascy. That at least appears to be the result.
Rooky
Legend
Location: A spooky wood, with man-eating little giant space hampsters

Post by Rooky »

I don't get it....I never have...why DO they make driders anyways?
:3
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote="Rooky":2cejmnle]I don't get it....I never have...why DO they make driders anyways?[/quote:2cejmnle]

Because Lolth can and someways they are scarier then Drow are.

In the first Drow and Drider were solely NPCs, monsters to face and hopefully defeat. Drow became palyable, actually Driders might have become so in one of the splats books as well, leading to such questions.

However tradition remains all Driders used to be Drow, there (so far) are not natural born driders (perhaps part of Lolth's curse is that they can not have sex *shrugs*).
Thalon Mercrow
Resident

Post by Thalon Mercrow »

if i may interject there is a spell that alwos a person to become a drider(no its not polymorph) it can be found in the drow of the underdark handbook the spell is called dridershape it can be cast by a 5 lv sor/wiz its a swift action and lasts 1 round per level and in additaion to beoming a drider and geting all ther abiltys you recive 20 temopory hp that disapear when the spell ends.
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

But Lolth crafted Drider last forever, a spell to pretend to be one foe a whlie always existed *Grin*
Ix'Chimalxochitzin
Regular

Post by Ix'Chimalxochitzin »

[quote:21jmap46]Alter Reality
Prerequisite
Cha 29.

Benefit
This ability is similar to the wish spell. The deity merely thinks of something and then makes it so. Doing this requires at least a standard action.

Notes
The deity can duplicate any spell of 9th level or lower as a standard action. The duplicated spell has no material or XP component, and the DC of its saving throw (if one is allowed) is 20 + the deity’s rank + the deity’s Charisma modifier.

The deity also can duplicate a spell with any metamagic feat (so long as the metamagic feat is available to characters of 20th level or lower). This use of the ability requires the deity to rest for 1 round for each level that the feat would normally add to the spell. It still takes a standard action to use this ability, so there is no point in using the ability to duplicate a quickened spell.

The deity can render a magical or supernatural effect permanent. The rest requirement varies with the effect: 10 minutes per level of the effect times the number of subjects affected, 10 minutes per total Hit Dice of creatures affected, or 10 minutes per 10-foot cube affected. Use the highest applicable value.

The deity can create temporary, nonmagical objects. This works like the Create Object ability (including the required rest period), except that the items last one day per rank.

The deity also can create permanent nonmagical objects as if using the Create Object ability except that all rest requirements are doubled and there is no reduction in rest time for being on an Outer Plane or in the deity’s own realm.

The deity can create temporary magic items or creatures. This works like the Divine Creation ability (including the required rest period), except that the items or creatures created last 1 hour per rank. This ability cannot create permanent magic items or creatures.

The deity can reshape a landscape, creating any type of terrain the deity can imagine. Each 10-foot cube of material to be reshaped requires 1 round of effort, and the deity must rest for one day per 10-foot cube shaped after the work is completed.[/quote:21jmap46]

First three points pretty much sum it up, i believe. Info taken [url=http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divine ... m:21jmap46]from here[/url:21jmap46]

-----

On a sidenote, about driders. I think the reason the general opinion of driders as failures is mostly because they're driders... Or rather, [i:21jmap46]not Drow[/i:21jmap46]. I believe i've read somewhere that driders see themselves as [i:21jmap46]blessed[/i:21jmap46] by Lolth, which further drives the two apart.

Of course, neither side will ever admit they're wrong short of a divine order by Lolth herself, so they're still fighting for her own personal amusement.
-----
"Watch your step... If you fall, you'll damage the floor."
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

Interesting. Very interesting. I've only heard that driders are made of drow only, and that there is no other way to achieve such an effect, but by Lolth willing it. Don't really think a drider will became a playable race. I mean, would anyone want to play a half drow half spider that can't have sex and is actually stupid? Or :

Stats - Drider

Level: Aberration 6
Hit Points: 45
Armour Class: 17
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 15, Con 16, Int 15, Wis 16, Cha 16
CR: 6
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
Special Abilities: Much larger than your average house spider...

Stats - Drider Chief

Level: Aberration 6 / Sorcerer 5
Hit Points: 58
Armour Class: 17
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 15, Con 16, Int 15, Wis 16, Cha 18
CR: 10
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
Special Abilities: Spells, Darkness

Description

Lolth, the Queen of the Demon Web Pits is without mercy and without pity. Those she has set a task are not given a second chance. [b:7hxm81hn]Those who fail receive the most foul of blessings from the Spider Queen- they are changed by the tearing of flesh and the bloating of limbs into a perversion of life; the Drider.[/b:7hxm81hn] The Drow are a race of dark elves that live beneath the surface and struggle to please their dark matron with cunning, brutality and blood and yet even they fear this blessing from their goddess. There is no return from this curse of becoming a Drider and those that suffer this fate soon go mad.[/b]

Ok I know, it's taken from NWN1 something, not too reliable, but still. Becoming a drider considered a twisted blessing, and the are mad.
Dragonessa
Maid
Maid

Post by Dragonessa »

I used to think Driders were pretty darned gross until someone pointed out the "shunned". Those things are... well yuck! :eek:
Thalon Mercrow
Resident

Post by Thalon Mercrow »

and thats not even the worst thing lolth can cook up!
Ix'Chimalxochitzin
Regular

Post by Ix'Chimalxochitzin »

Personally, i believe that since Drow society is matriarchal, only the males would be submitted to the Trials of Lolth. Male Drow are pretty much considered to be expendable anyway.

This would mean that by extension, (nearly) the entire Drider race consists of males, though i can imagine them going crazy after a while as the sausage factory starts getting affected by the average Drow sex drive. It's not that they [i:22a083kk]can't[/i:22a083kk] have sex, it's that they don't [i:22a083kk]want[/i:22a083kk] to. And i can't blame them. Ew.

-----

Drider characters: Not a real problem. Buy a few Druid levels and blame it on being Wildshaped :P
-----
"Watch your step... If you fall, you'll damage the floor."
Thalon Mercrow
Resident

Post by Thalon Mercrow »

not true! lolth tests all of her faithful weather ther male or female. in fact i think it the oppistite is true most driders are female.my reasning is that most drow only get tested by lolth one time mabey more......most drow. her clearics are subjected to tests reugrely whear as male drow get tested only if he shows real promise and even then not ofen. wich lead me to belive females fail the test more ofen because there constantl tested unlike males which only get tested a few times hence more female driders.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

To expand on what Thalon is saying, I think that female drow (particularly the clergy) are held to a higher standard than male drow. After all, they're the ones representing Lolth.

But yes, I'm quite certain driders come in both genders. Though it's also quite possible that any distinction of gender is lost after the transformation; I'm not that familiar with drider ecology.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Zekafae
Champion

Post by Zekafae »

From some of the artwork i've seen scattered throughout I've seen mostly female though some(rare) males. So really who knows its probably up to the interpretation of others.
Site, story being redone
Stats added story still in works

http://dragcave.net/user/Zekafae (click please?)

Twilight vampires are the vampire equivalent of Pluto...