Thoughts Thread...

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Zekafae
Champion

Post by Zekafae »

yep hence why you see some stars named after someone's wife or like betelguese a geek
Site, story being redone
Stats added story still in works

http://dragcave.net/user/Zekafae (click please?)

Twilight vampires are the vampire equivalent of Pluto...
Merinid Tlin'orzza
Regular

Post by Merinid Tlin'orzza »

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betelguese:2i0d4ql5]Betelguese[/url:2i0d4ql5]

Sheds some light on the name.

Now for my thought...

It's been 18 years since I lived on the mainland. Stuck in Hawaii.

Would like to visit Seattle and San Fransisco; and take a field-trip to the San Andres fault to see the river displacements.
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

Wow.
Zaravir
Maid
Maid

Post by Zaravir »

Before the overwhelming feeling of nothingness takes place I feel obliged to say that most of the life-supporting reactions in biological systems take place at 10^-12 meters which is quite small. Smaller than nanoscale anyway. This ofcourse gives rise to one of the most discussed questions ever:

Does size really matter?
Einstein said that if quantum mechanics is right, then the world is crazy. Well, Einstein was right. The world is crazy.
-Daniel Greenberger
Ix'Chimalxochitzin
Regular

Post by Ix'Chimalxochitzin »

Judging by all those other planets and suns, i sure hope not... <.<;;
-----
"Watch your step... If you fall, you'll damage the floor."
Thalon Mercrow
Resident

Post by Thalon Mercrow »

[quote="Zekafae":a0ra5wic]What I meant was it puts it into perspective how small we are and it doesn't help when one feels utterly alone. That just makes you feel even smaller. Though it is cool to see the new biggest star on record last i knew it was Betelguese.[/quote:a0ra5wic]

true we may be small and the stars may be large. but do the stars know that they exist, can they love,can they hate,or ponder the other misteries? that is why we are specile given time man can do anything!
Zaravir
Maid
Maid

Post by Zaravir »

Actually it is a bit of a problem that suns don't have feelings. Especially as the sun represents the ultimate limit to our time. At some point our sun will engulf the earth. That is assuming we haven't destroyed it ourselves or something else has happened. So much for being special.
Einstein said that if quantum mechanics is right, then the world is crazy. Well, Einstein was right. The world is crazy.
-Daniel Greenberger
Merinid Tlin'orzza
Regular

Post by Merinid Tlin'orzza »

If we haven't left the solar system; let alone Earth by the time our Star expands, then we deserve our fate.

Assuming if we as a species doesn't become extinct before then.
Rooky
Legend
Location: A spooky wood, with man-eating little giant space hampsters

Post by Rooky »

We probably will, since we have no, natural self-defense system.
:3
Thalon Mercrow
Resident

Post by Thalon Mercrow »

don't worry we will be star bound soon we already have a plan for geting to mars and from there its just a hop,skip and a jump to the next place and i think if we are given ehoung time wel be able to escape to other dimesions like i said before nothigs beyond our grasp!
Ix'Chimalxochitzin
Regular

Post by Ix'Chimalxochitzin »

[quote="Thalon Mercrow":2ni2rco5]don't worry we will be star bound soon we already have a plan for geting to mars and from there its just a hop,skip and a jump to the next place and i think if we are given ehoung time wel be able to escape to other dimesions like i said before nothigs beyond our grasp![/quote:2ni2rco5]

So it's all a matter of natural selection, really.

Either the humans die, or the universe dies.

Alternatively, humans die dragging the rest of the universe down with it, which is much more likely after they start manipulating dimensions. Most people forget that before you can stabilise, much less control, a tear in the space-time continuum (which is what a portal [i:2ni2rco5]is[/i:2ni2rco5]) there's often quite a bit of trial and error involved.

Also, 'regular' space flight has its restrictions. Like, how to have people spend a year or so on board a spacecraft outside the protective atmosphere of Earth that filters out solar radiation, how to prevent zero-G from turning astronauts' muscles into goo from disuse, how to make sure they can actually get back again, how to avoid solar winds, comets, drifting asteroids, freezing to death from lack of solar warmth and power etc.

Once all that's settled, it's just a matter of finding enough fuel and resources for a manned flight into the closest solar system, Alpha Centauri. It's only 41.5 trillion km (25.8 trillion miles) away, so we should be able to get there in ohh.... about 4 years and 3 months. At lightspeed.
-----
"Watch your step... If you fall, you'll damage the floor."
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

[quote="Thalon Mercrow":2ni8ig4b]true we may be small and the stars may be large. but do the stars know that they exist, can they love,can they hate,or ponder the other misteries?[/quote:2ni8ig4b]
I would say: yes. Very alien to us perhaps to the point that we can scarcely contemplate it, but I believe that stars have their own consciousness and are, in turn, atoms to a much larger entity, the universe, with its own consciousness.

Though perhaps not the exact concepts we would term "know" and "love" and "hate" and "ponder", but in their own way, yes.

Of course, do we know that we exist, or do we just think that we know? Is what we know to be our body really our body or just what we perceive to be our body? Do we know ourselves or just the perception of ourselves?

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Zekafae
Champion

Post by Zekafae »

Thats really deep thought there. The concept of existence is fully based on our consciousness where we are living thinking creatures with free will and not driven by instinct. We as human beings are able to express very complex emotions such as love happiness and hate. I believe that we know we exist because of our consciousness and the experiences we endure in this state. Celestial bodies like the stars have their own pulse of life like we do but is there a consciousness behind their workings? I doubt it else the sun would have started to punish us a long time ago.

We as human beings consciously do things and see things which require a deep amount of thought. Animals act on their instincts primarily with little real intelligence. They are highly intelligent in their own form and some things they do surprise us. There have been many cases where animals will show an undying devotion to their mates, human owners and even each other. Whether this is an actual intelligent and conscious act of free will or its basic instinct shining through one can only debate about it.
Site, story being redone
Stats added story still in works

http://dragcave.net/user/Zekafae (click please?)

Twilight vampires are the vampire equivalent of Pluto...
Narsia Ny'Dhun
Resident

Post by Narsia Ny'Dhun »

Of all the 'animals', humans are the only ones capable of the complex emotion of hate. Love, friendship and grief have been exhibited in all branches of the animal world. But animals, by all definition of the world, do not hate. Does that mean they do not exist because they lack that emotion?
Harl l'drathir udos alure, Eilistraee lu'Anixiel ulu kyorl udossa zuch
Amnon
Maid
Maid

Post by Amnon »

To be... or not to be... that is the question! Well everyone knows existing varies due to our perception so there really is no way for us to discern whether something really exists or does not. We can only work with what we understand and I believe that for many people... what they don't (can't possibly understand with their own intellect or wisdom) understand they discard it as irrelevant either out of anger/fear or whatever underlying cause it may be. I rather hang out with animals than people anyway :p