Ascendency of the Last

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Narsia Ny'Dhun
Resident

Re: The Loose Ends

Post by Narsia Ny'Dhun »

[quote="Isis9":3nbc01s0]

It occurred to me that maybe Eilistraee has become a goddess of the dark moon, like Hecate, thus more fully integrating her brother's former attributes into herself. [/quote:3nbc01s0]

All I saw was the image of her becoming more like him, which makes me think evil, which makes me think I'd rather have her dead than that.
Harl l'drathir udos alure, Eilistraee lu'Anixiel ulu kyorl udossa zuch
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

Well, one thing is they left a lot of speculation space, because they couldn't figure out how many people like us are there.

But I recall someone quoting someone from the Wizards' boards saying "Eilistraee HAD TO DIE because ... "

I could be mistaken.
dav
Maid
Maid

Post by dav »

[quote="Argoth":4thb1ybg]But I recall someone quoting someone from the Wizards' boards saying "Eilistraee HAD TO DIE because ... "[/quote:4thb1ybg]

That quote was from a regular poster there and not a WotC employee, although Rich Baker DID agree with the comment.
Narsia Ny'Dhun
Resident

Post by Narsia Ny'Dhun »

Read back a couple pages just to recap and a thought struck me.

The deal behind the challenge was that someone had to die, and they made that deal under the eye of AO who surpasses all gods. The speculation of Corellon saving Eilistraee at he last minute doesn't make any sense given that. Not o mention that the vain hope of her being revived would go completely against Wizard's intentions.

I'm not taking their sides here guys, I really wish it were true, but given the factors working against that theory it just doesn't seem to fit and I'd hate for us all to get our hopes up over nothing like we've been doing through this entire trilogy.
Isis9
Maid
Maid

A disappointing turn

Post by Isis9 »

One of the things that keeps readers of the fantasy rpg genre coming back is the wish to follow the adventures of established heroes, like Eilistraee herself. The fact that so many heroes have been killed off in FR, like Cavatina, Drizzt, Mystra, etc., is very telling in regards to the new turn WotC has taken here. I think they are trying to become more of a horror/fantasy publisher, like World of Darkness. If anyone knows or remembers that publisher you can appreciate the comparison.

Which leads me to the reason why I don't read horror anymore, though I used to read horror as a teenager. One of the often used literary ploys in horror fiction is just that. The writer will create a fully developed and likable character, and then once we are in love with that character the horror writer will proceed to destroy him or her in an indescribably disgusting way. It is psychology. Stephen King did this in his novels pretty often. The more we sympathize with the character the greater the horror we feel at her demise or destruction. Such is what happened to Eilistraee and Cavatina, and to an extent even Halisstra. For my part, I can't help feeling betrayed by the author when this happens, and so I've sort of lost confidence in FR because of this. How do I know that there is not a horrible death awaiting every single character that I have come to like, and even love, in some instances? Reading the Lady Penitent Trilogy has been like attending a whole bunch of funerals of close friends, all on the same day!

Therefore, I don't think I will be reading any FR titles anytime soon. I just don't like horror fiction.
In the end, only kindness matters.
Narsia Ny'Dhun
Resident

Post by Narsia Ny'Dhun »

Like I said, a sickening revisitation of Greek mythology where everybody dies to further the drama.
Nico
Maid
Maid

Post by Nico »

Isis9: Drizzt has been killed off? In the permanent sense?
Isis9
Maid
Maid

Drizzt

Post by Isis9 »

Yes, or at least, that is what I've read on the net, although the author has said that he'd keep writing Drizzt stories as flashbacks, or stories that date to the time before the "Spellplague".
Narsia Ny'Dhun
Resident

Post by Narsia Ny'Dhun »

Name your source because that's not something I see happening unless Salvatore has already covered the thousand years of life that he lived before writing those memoirs you see exerts of at the beginning of each 'part' in every book.

Not that I wouldn't like to see the over hyped twink dead, but I just doubt it so much.
Thalon Mercrow
Resident

Post by Thalon Mercrow »

[quote="Narsia Ny'Dhun":cdbwj10d]Like I said, a sickening revisitation of Greek mythology where everybody dies to further the drama.[/quote:cdbwj10d]

only nobodys killed there father to marry there mother...yet!
dav
Maid
Maid

Re: Drizzt

Post by dav »

[quote="Isis9":2d5jxv0r]Yes, or at least, that is what I've read on the net, although the author has said that he'd keep writing Drizzt stories as flashbacks, or stories that date to the time before the "Spellplague".[/quote:2d5jxv0r]

Drizzt is not dead in 4e Realms. According to both WotC and RAS he is alive in 1479. In fact the prologue of 'The Orc King' is in 1479.
Isis9
Maid
Maid

I could have sworn....

Post by Isis9 »

You know, I could have sworn I read something about this somewhere on the net just yesterday, but I've been looking for it for an hour and I can't find it again. I think stumbled on the blurb while looking into the death of Mystra. Perhaps I misread something. I apologise if I've caused undue alarm. As it stands now, I think Drizzt is still alive, for now....
Fire_Wraith
Maid
Maid

Post by Fire_Wraith »

According to the novels already published, as well as commentary from WoTC, Drizzt survives into 4th Edition. That much we knew long before the publication of this novel.

Pardon for making this my first post here, but until recently, I've been somewhat content to lurk off in the shadows, enjoying the aspects of the Forgotten Realms - Eilistraee and her religion being one of the primary ones among them. Of course, I never bothered going to the WoTC forums before I first heard of the 'changes' being made to FR.

Bottom line, as much as I hate to say it, this didn't surprise me. Everything that WoTC has announced or revealed about the 4th Edition Forgotten Realms seems (to me at least) to have evidenced a callous disregard for the feelings of a vast majority of the long-term fans of the setting. It isn't merely what was done, but more importantly, [b:2d5p1a3t]how[/b:2d5p1a3t] it was done.

To be more specific, the current designers identified things they viewed as 'problematic', then elected to change them. These changes seem (to me) to have been made primarily with expediency in mind, and with little concern to either the impact they might have on current fans, or to how best to cushion the blow, so to speak.

It's not even that they wanted to reduce the number of deities in the Realms. It's not even that they wanted to diminish Eilistraee's influence or remove her as a major player in the Realms. They couldn't even turn her into a saint/servitor of Corellon, responsible for watching over and safeguarding the souls of the drow that might someday be brought home - or anything else that might have possibly achieved the stated goals of 'simplifying the Realms'.

Instead, they performed surgery with a battleaxe, and rubbed salt in the resulting wounds for those of us who had just lost the things we found most exciting, that we treasured most about the Realms. I can only feel that the posters on the WoTC forums who suggested that the designers had taken all of the harshest criticisms by those most vocal internet posters who harbored a particular hatred for the Forgotten Realms, and attempted to remake the Realms based solely on that - and ignored those who love it - were correct in their allegation.

It's not just Eilistraee, though this is the latest example. It's Mystra, it's the Seven Sisters, it's every single aspect of the setting that they determined was no longer of value to them, and casually tossed out without a thought for those who might value the setting [b:2d5p1a3t]because[/b:2d5p1a3t] of those things.

I used to be a big fan of Dragonlance - of the World of Krynn. I loved the setting, I loved the characters. I bought every RPG supplement, every novel. And then came 'Fifth Age', heralded by a new novel where many of the old, beloved NPCs were killed off, the theme radically changed, and an entirely new version of the setting introduced. I haven't had anything to do with it since.

But what makes this so sad is that 4th Edition D&D is not a bad game system, in terms of rules. I had a chance to play a preview, and I found it enjoyable. However, if only because of how Wizards has treated the fans (myself included), I plan primarily to purchase from a company that actually seems to care, and responds to the fans that support it, rather than to try and court the detractors (who aren't likely to buy it anyway) or to go after the MMO audience (who aren't going to really care about this sort of stuff anyway). I'm probably going to go stick with Paizo's products (which I find quite good thus far, and look forward to more).

And, most importantly, I'll still make use of Eilistraee and her religion in game worlds of my own making.
Last edited by Fire_Wraith on Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

Isis, it's just how I've felt at the end of Windwalker, when the Liriel's lover died. I was so sorry to read that, although it was only natural for him to die sooner or later.

WHY DID DRIZZT HAD TO SURVIVE!?!?!?!
Aelistae
Maid
Maid

Post by Aelistae »

Drizzt is a cash cow that WotC/Hasbro will be milking as long as Salvatore can churn out novel after dreary novel (they aren't bad but after so many novels already I'm sick of reading about him...). So whatever you read about him being killed off isn't true.

Fire_Wraith I loved your post. You said everything I feel but hadn't articulated.

The sad thing is that with what's being done to FR I fear they'll soon discontinue the campaign. ...Or maybe that isn't so sad, given the poor job that Hasbro have done in their attempt to keep it alive.