Ascendency of the Last

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Tsa'drin
Maid
Maid

Post by Tsa'drin »

I empathize with Shirle.

For myself, I will make a Feat for Eilistraee to keep her in line with other priests in the game.

Also, I will most likely make my own setting, though FR is a place of fond memories for me that I still may play in on occassion.

Why?

Because my character will worship Eilistraee, and like Moander who floated in the void for a long time apparently dead till he was awakened, so too will my characters faith awaken the goddess.

The book itself left it quite apparent that Eilistraee was in a similar bind.

Who is to say that a great FR campaign cant revolve around a long quest to revive the Goddess?

To me this sounds quite Epic and herioc, and something I will most likely put forth in the future if my players are predisposed to such.

It's my character, and if I GM, my world.

Eilistraee lives for me, and I am one of her most beloved sons.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

[quote="Bhaern Quel":3b7lhevf]I might be able to help if you tell me more about the problem, the boards are indeed hard to work with at times. I managed to help others on how to get in.
PM me with details if you wish.[/quote:3b7lhevf]
Thank, but I just made a new account. I suspect that something went wrong with email authentication on the other one, but damned if I know what.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Narsia Ny'Dhun
Resident

Post by Narsia Ny'Dhun »

Well I have to say that honestly I'm more irritated than sad. Oh sure, I'm sad, but through this whole trilogy I kept telling myself that there's no way in hell they could kill her off since they'd killed off every other deity, and that leaving just the one would totally fuck over everything that made drow special and unique from other evil races by giving them a choice as a group. Now they might as well go back to being monsters like the originally were, which doesn't make any sense because drow are easily THE most popular among the elven races.

I don't know, I just think their reasoning is backwards. God, poor Ed must have had a fit over that.

Oh well, I nevr was a big supporter of D&D to begin with so I have no problem just keeping her alive in my own way and say to hell with Wizards.

And on a quick note as to her being resurrected in the future? No. I don't want to see it because I know the reason for it will be as bullshitted as the so-called reason for her death. Not to mention it would just be further busting the skulls of the loyal fans who will no doubt be outraged by this. Wizards needs to stop yanking people around just to sell more fucking books.
Harl l'drathir udos alure, Eilistraee lu'Anixiel ulu kyorl udossa zuch
Aelistae
Maid
Maid

Darn...

Post by Aelistae »

Well I've just caught up with the news and it is disheartening. To be honest, though, I wasn't too surprised after reading the Orc King a few months ago and learning of the changes being made to 4th edition FR.

As others have suggested, what I don't understand about the changes being made (in which Lolth is the sole deity of the drow) is what that suggests for people wanting to roleplay drow. Obviously Wizards/Hasbro are happy for people to play Drizzt clones (drow are a core class in 4th edition). And so the idea of 'good drow' isn't being done away with. Instead they're getting rid of the most understandable means by which a drow could escape Lolthite depravity.

Also, I don't get the explanation of what happens to Eilistraee's worshippers. Would a (former) priestess of Eilistraee suddenly stop trying to redeem the people she tried to help for centuries? Would she and her fellow priestesses really all disband and call it a day like it's suggested in the Orc King?

Somehow I doubt it.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Re: Darn...

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

[quote="Aelistae":2pl68zyo]Also, I don't get the explanation of what happens to Eilistraee's worshippers. Would a (former) priestess of Eilistraee suddenly stop trying to redeem the people she tried to help for centuries? Would she and her fellow priestesses really all disband and call it a day like it's suggested in the Orc King?

Somehow I doubt it.[/quote:2pl68zyo]
They're now all brown-skinned "dark elves" instead of drow, so when they try to redeem the drow the drow see them coming miles away, making it much easier for them to root them out and kill them.

There we go, Eilistraee's final 'sacrifice' also killed off all her followers.

So no, there's no way in hell that I'm taking to that view of things. For me, everything starting with Lolth's Silence never happened.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Arathen
Maid
Maid

Post by Arathen »

And actually, to clear up the whole "Drow are core" thing, they actually aren't...I have the PHB right here in front of me, and they're nowhere inside, heh.

Still, from what I saw in the book, Eilistraee likely could come back, if they wanted it. The Crescent Blade is supposed to obliterate the souls of those beheaded with it. And yet...Cavatina winds up on the Fugue Plain after her death. And besides...Eilistraee [i:27r7vjg6]created[/i:27r7vjg6] the Crescent Blade, and the whole ordeal seemed to be some sort of plan of hers, so...I'm not even gonna get into the possibilities here (I mean, if she created the weapon, you'd think she'd make it so the bloody thing didn't work that way on her), but it seems to me like she could very well come back...and I actually had the same idea, of running a campaign that culminates in her triumphant return.
"Courage lies not in the lack of fear...but in doing something you are afraid to."

Check out the progress on my book at http://kaavelbaelithar.deviantart.com/
Alediran Tir'ent
Maid
Maid

Post by Alediran Tir'ent »

[quote="Nico":uh537n0l]Probably the best post about this on the WotC forum thread:

"Working for good and maintaining balance are often matters of small degrees. [b:uh537n0l]If you wish to shape a bush you must prune it gently, not take a scythe to it.[/b:uh537n0l]"
- Danilo Thann, speaking to Master Harper Bran Skorlsun just before he was offered a Harper pin, Year of Maidens[/quote:uh537n0l]

I was the one who posted it. Quoted from the 2nd edition Harpers sourcebook.
Narsia Ny'Dhun
Resident

Post by Narsia Ny'Dhun »

So wait, what? All of a sudden all of her worshipers have changed species? Oh sure, that makes sense.

And if you want my opinion I think the reason WHY Drizzt clones are so widely supported is because Wizards has Salvatore's nuts in a vice, thus enabling them to make him drag out that character's cash cow until the company finally goes bankrupt. He's popular, and he's stupidly easy. There's no depth to him beyond his escape from the Underdark and it's my guess that most of said clones are played by simple minded nimrods who want to play a good drow but don't want to go to the trouble of explaining the character.

Bah, I hate this. I haven't been this upset since I read the Avatars series. I swear everything about D&D deities stinks of a sickening revisitation of Greek mythology where everybody dies to further the drama.
Nico
Maid
Maid

Post by Nico »

[quote="Arathen":3101mqe1]And actually, to clear up the whole "Drow are core" thing, they actually aren't...I have the PHB right here in front of me, and they're nowhere inside, heh.[/quote:3101mqe1]That's odd, I thought they had specifically said that for 4th Ed, elves would be seperated into Drow, Elves and Eladrin.

[quote="Alediran Tir'ent":3101mqe1]I was the one who posted it. Quoted from the 2nd edition Harpers sourcebook.[/quote:3101mqe1]Definitely a good choice.

[quote="Narsia Ny'Dhun":3101mqe1]So wait, what? All of a sudden all of her worshipers have changed species? Oh sure, that makes sense.[/quote:3101mqe1]Race, not species. And supposedly this is more a of revert to what they were before whatever corruption the lore now claims converted them to being true black and white Drow.
Narsia Ny'Dhun
Resident

Post by Narsia Ny'Dhun »

If it was really that easy then why didn't he step his lazy ass in and reverse the corruption earlier? That's such a giant load.
Genkin
Maid
Maid

Re: Darn...

Post by Genkin »

[quote="Aelistae":39knorl1][...]

As others have suggested, what I don't understand about the changes being made ([b:39knorl1]in which Lolth is the sole deity of the drow[/b:39knorl1]) is what that suggests for people wanting to roleplay drow.

[...]
[/quote:39knorl1]

There is still Ghaunadaur, the most uninteresting deity of all. His avatar is a slug ... and currently lost in a labyrinth.
Isis9
Maid
Maid

Eilistraee maybe not dead

Post by Isis9 »

All I can say is that [i:2631tm03]Ascendancy[/i:2631tm03] was written in such a way that a lot of loose ends were left at the finish. From my reading, I don't think it is conclusively clear that Eilistraee is dead. Much was left open to speculation. Even Lolth observed that Eilistraee was "still there somewhere" after she upped and disappeared. I think it's fairly certain that the loose ends were on purpose, and that the author wanted to leave the door open for sequels, either written by herself or other WotC writers.

It is possible that Eilistraee was somehow changed, transmuted, by the events in the story. Her drow are no longer drow, but dark elves--which is why Lolth no longer has a claim to them. Maybe Eilistraee has become a Seldarine once again. Also, I find it hard to believe that Eilistraee could really be killed with her own weapon, the crescent blade. It is a bit of a stretch for me.

More and more, it seems like all bets are off in the WotC universes. I mean, what does the word "immortal" mean in a world where the immortal gods are being murdered left and right? This inconsistency is very glaring, don't you think?
Noraimund
Maid
Maid

Post by Noraimund »

I hate, hate hate to say this....but I was put up to it by forces beyond my control

I seem to recall having almost the same conversations when Vhaeraun punched his ticket :P

I'm honestly curious to see how your friend and mine, Shevarash, god of sanctioned hate crimes, will react to this change.
Evil? So you say. But my god, my friends, and my brothers and sisters would disagree with you. You take care of yours and I'll take care of mine.
Arathen
Maid
Maid

Post by Arathen »

Thank you, Isis, that was exactly what I was trying to say.
As for the fact that the same things were said when Vhaeraun was killed, our questions were answered later, I think, with that little glimpse of Vhaeraun's shredded remains floating in the astral ;)
"Courage lies not in the lack of fear...but in doing something you are afraid to."

Check out the progress on my book at http://kaavelbaelithar.deviantart.com/
Isis9
Maid
Maid

The Loose Ends

Post by Isis9 »

Again, there are so many loose ends in [i:37edhrnn]Ascendancy[/i:37edhrnn] that there is very little about it that can be called conclusive. It is basically an open-ended book, if I may say that.

It occurred to me that maybe Eilistraee has become a goddess of the dark moon, like Hecate, thus more fully integrating her brother's former attributes into herself. The possibilities are endless given how the novel finished.

Maybe some of us should just go right ahead and write the subsequent trilogy, in which we bring back Eilistraee.