Ascendency of the Last

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Narsia Ny'Dhun
Resident

Post by Narsia Ny'Dhun »

Still doesn't change the fact that we've been shafted.
Harl l'drathir udos alure, Eilistraee lu'Anixiel ulu kyorl udossa zuch
Arathen
Maid
Maid

Post by Arathen »

yes, we've been shafted...but, I think, we can recover from this. We can persevere. I admit I'll never really abandon the realms, even if they've been changed so drastically. But...as I said...I have other plans *chuckles*

I'll be posting information on my own campaign setting, bit by bit, as I get it done...and I'd welcome a bit of input and help if anyone's interested. On a similar note...does anyone know of anybody that's good with making maps? I've got a rough map of part of the main continent of my game world, but I'm just not as good as I might like with mapping it all out and could definitely use a bit of help in that department.
"Courage lies not in the lack of fear...but in doing something you are afraid to."

Check out the progress on my book at http://kaavelbaelithar.deviantart.com/
Mikayla
Maid
Maid

Post by Mikayla »

R:
[quote:vxybql7e]Btw, it's good to see you around again Mikayla. Please visit more often when you can. [/quote:vxybql7e]

Thank you. I would visit more often, but being a Lolth worshipper, this place can get a wee-bit ... um ... shall we say ... "uncomfortable" for me (as in, like, shaft-through-body-spit-roasted uncomfortable). So, you know, I tend to stay at the fringes. I would come roaring in now that Eilistraee is dead, and sacrifice all the moonies to my Dark Queen .. but sadly, my Lolth-given powers don't seem to work so well here - I blame Shir'le and her aura of "goodness." Hmmph. Oh, and her aura of "Admin Board Founderness" (which in all liklihood, trumps even the goodness). C'est la internet.

Malla tlu Lolth!

**runs off and hides**
AKA Sheyreiza Valakasha, Yathtallar d'Lolth, Princess of the Demonweb Pits, aka Ghenni'salla Tlabbar, aka L'olath'anon, the Dark Flower, aka the Valsharess of ALFA, aka ... well ... you get the picture. :devil:
Xandurpein
Maid
Maid

Post by Xandurpein »

I think most of what I want to say has already been said before, about how WotC has treated the drow and Eilistraee. Eilistraee is what made the drow special. I just don't think I will have any interest in creating content for a Forgotten Realms without her.

I would also like to mention that I read somewhere that Wizards told LIsa Smedman to kill Eilistraee and any ambiguities about her death are there because Smedman wanted to leave something for those who wanted include Eilistraee in their own private campagins, while still staying with the official story that Eilistaee is indeed dead.

In short Wizards sucks!
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

In that case Lisa Smedman deserves a large dose of respect for what she'd written.
Jubilee
Maid
Maid

Post by Jubilee »

Lisa's work has been good but nothing steller enough for me to be overjoyed at her series, and absolutely no respect for making an end even worse than WotSQ, if thats possible.

They made us brown and stuck us with Corellon. Fuck that. If I wanted to be a brown pansy hugging his statue every mornign i'd play a woodelf. Oh and creating Halisstra, possible the most annoying, worst villian i've ever seen in fantasy.

And this comin from me, who really Didn't like Obouls Manificent Awesome Incredible Fearsome Amazing Impenitrable Impervious Plate Armor (yes all that horseshit was used to describe a suit of steel plate like every other knight wears and dies in, in these books) but least he had a intelligent, noble goal.

Kill off two of our fav and most important chars with a fucking Pussy with a IWinButton transformatoin and that retarded sword they fixate the whole damn series on. Seriously, that shit is something i've seen from inexperienced GMs trieing their best to learn and make a strong villian for a casual PnP game.

Everyone just fuckin stood there and let it all happen, like they just got hit over the head with a Baseball bat made of out frozen stupid when Halisstra's retarded ass is holding the IWinSword.

It was like a re-enactment of Anakins accidental "Victory" in SW Episode I. Oops, I got turned into a insta "Badass". Oops, I got the sword. Oops, I cut her head off. Oops, I got her head too! Oops, wrong person. This was like putting 8yr old Vader in a funhouse full of Drow with a saber, and having everyone stand perfectly fucking still.

The entire attack on the temple was nothing, no imagination, no talent, nothing. If you had replaced it with Zombies, Mutants, Mutant Zombies, Vampires, anything else, Anything at all, it wouldn't have changed the story one damn bit. Just another instance of my favorite horseshit in storytelling.

Big Monster>female.

Same with Hallistra. Make her Count Chocula and you'd get the same end, probably get a better story. At least it'd have cocoa goodness baked into every bite, not horseshit.
It is difficult for others to truly speak their heart or listen to it. The words often prove difficult, or they do not come at all - Brianna
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Post by Talwyn Aureliano »

[quote="Lance":2huqtyfa]Turns out it wasn't a podcast, but I found it:
http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/vi ... =121&sp=60
[quote:2huqtyfa]Although this has already been revealed in the novels, most of the Drow gods have been axed. All that's left is Lolth, Eilistraee, and Ghaunadaur. Later Ghaunadaur is attacked by Lolth and moves to the Deep Caverns.[/quote:2huqtyfa]

Now, I don't know how correct or up-to-date this information is (it was written almost a year ago, after all). But since the majority of the events mentioned in the post has so far proved correct there is a small hope.
If the "death" of Eilistraee was the "culmination of a major storyline" I find it unlikely that wizards would change that storyline when the first two books of Lisa Smedman's trilogy had already been released. If this is true I see two possibilities:

1) Wizards changed their minds in the last minute and decided to kill of Eilistraee to make Drizzt more cool
2) Eilistraee isn't dead or will return.
Wizards do have a history of resurrecting dead dieties. Bane resurrected himself and Torm was likewise restored by Ao because he died fighting for the ideals he represented.

I'll try to get some kind of confirmation that the quote is actually correct.
But I would wait nuking wizards until the FR sourcebook has been released, there is still room for change.

Lance out.[/quote:2huqtyfa]

Any further news on this Lance or anyone else?

After calming down somewhat [although still quietly seething] I think that WoTC will at some point try and revive Eilistraee but I think it will have to be done through their official game. All this small points of light and the fact the Corellon has taken up her place wearing her symbol and the great deal of ambiguity of the epiplogue has left WoTC a truck load of wriggle room to bring our dear dark lady back.

The cynic in me thinks they've done this deliberately to provoke a shitstorm of protest [kill off E and carpet bomb the realms other deities back into the stoneage] in order to generate interest in 4E. As Shirl'e has rightly said, it was not a choice that went down well with the fan base [us] and I think its not going to earn them a lot more converts to the new system.
I also have been watching some interviews with one of the designers of WoTC and he quite clearly stated they wanted to dicth a lot of the lore of the game to make it more appealing to a broader audience, in other words FR lite. Never has such banal words mde me want to punch my flatscreen in frustration. I hate this dumbing down approach and it will ultimately fail. Why?
Because many core D&D fans will make the jump to Pathfinder or stick with their 3.5 campaign settings [btw are all selling very cheaply now! grab a bargin & give the middle finger to 4E ;) ]
and so the great business plan to revitalise the realms [didn't realise it was stale & boring?] will fall short of its expectations. And I will quietly smile to myself as WoTC crumble and burn because of their boofheaded decision to downsize FR.

One final note on FR 4E: it seems that evil is in ascendantcy while the forces of good are scattered and disunited. Not a bad idea for a campaign setting but it is such a huge jump from what we were experiencing with the current realms time line and even if Cyric did go on a god killing spree, you'd think the rest would join up and take that twisted f*cker out once & for all. In fact I recall there was some canon prophecy that Torm would die saving the realms from Cyric. In other words he'd sacrifice himself [again] to destroy Cyric and save the world. Maybe this has happened? I don't really know. I'll ask at Candlekeep and see if they have any answers.
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

Alak Xiltyn
Regular

Post by Alak Xiltyn »

[quote="Argoth":1edru4ca]In that case Lisa Smedman deserves a large dose of respect for what she'd written.[/quote:1edru4ca]

I for one would say it means she deserves a large dose of back bone, if she really, honestly cared what the fans thought she would have turned the job down.

My current theory: Drizzt is soon too die and take the Eilistraee's place, time-shift forward, his beloved friends (and wife) dead, among many many other bad things, I can see them craming it into the hind quarters of their fans in that manner.

[quote:1edru4ca]One final note on FR 4E: it seems that evil is in ascendantcy while the forces of good are scattered and disunited. Not a bad idea for a campaign setting but it is such a huge jump from what we were experiencing with the current realms time line and even if Cyric did go on a god killing spree, you'd think the rest would join up and take that twisted f*cker out once & for all. In fact I recall there was some canon prophecy that Torm would die saving the realms from Cyric. In other words he'd sacrifice himself [again] to destroy Cyric and save the world. Maybe this has happened? I don't really know. I'll ask at Candlekeep and see if they have any answers.[/quote:1edru4ca]

Torm is on the list of confirmed living deities.
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire
Dregonindil
Maid
Maid

4E is and always will be, dead to me.

Post by Dregonindil »

Honestly reading this series I was okay up until the third book. I was not a huge fan of the rest, but I was not a big fan of selvetarm either. When I got to the third book it took me forever to read because half way through it I just put it down and was no longer interested in what Lisa Smedman or whatever had to say. >:(
In my mind the Goddess is alive, and 4th edition is somewhere being eternally tormented by Mephistopholes.
She is alive, because we will keep her alive. Period.
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Lisa Smedman doesn't care about the fans, all she cares about is getting that large pay check from WotC for writing that series which they no doubt told her how it was to end.

I don't really blame her although I do find her writing/fiction/prose is pretty medicocre at best and trashy and trite at its worst.

As far as Torm goes, he's now a greater god :D in the post spellplague FR 4E.

Perhaps I should pertition my patron deity to lend a hand to bringing the dark lady back?
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

Thalon Mercrow
Resident

Post by Thalon Mercrow »

now thats a plan!!!

sorry ihavint posted latly i just got rid of a prety nasty viurs
steelfiredragon
Maid
Maid

Post by steelfiredragon »

Im just wondering if she gave Veladorn Vhaerun's divine essence, or her own, or all of it.
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

[quote="Thalon Mercrow":104e83xt]now thats a plan!!!

sorry ihavint posted latly i just got rid of a prety nasty viurs[/quote:104e83xt]

- lays on hands and cures disease -

:D

Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Re: 4E is and always will be, dead to me.

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

[quote="Dregonindil":q603yr05]She is alive, because we will keep her alive. Period.[/quote:q603yr05]
Indeed. And that is the most important thing.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Dregonindil
Maid
Maid

Post by Dregonindil »

Well im glad I said one smart thing, even if I did accidentally post a message on the what to do about 4E forum that was supposed to be on this one.

Afterall a God's power comes mostly from his/her worshippers, and there seems to be enough of them here to keep her strong for a long time.
Heck we even have a human paladin on the bring her back bandwagon. Now thats support.