4E: What do we do?

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

4E: What do we do?

Go 4E; try and make Eilistraee fit in 4E.
14%
Stick with 3E; ignore 4E and keep what we have.
61%
Abandon D&D; fit Eilistraee in another rule system(s).
14%
Abandon systems; stick purely with Eilistraee’s background.
4%
Abandon Eilistraee; shut down the site.
No votes
Other (please explain).
7%

Total votes: 57

Narsia Ny'Dhun
Resident

Post by Narsia Ny'Dhun »

Huh, clever!
Harl l'drathir udos alure, Eilistraee lu'Anixiel ulu kyorl udossa zuch
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

If I'm ever going to play Star Trek Online I'll probably make a Federation starship called the USS Eilistraee filled with drow (you can make your own races as I understand it in STO). So why not Star Wars too. ;)

Besides, the Force Ghost thingy sounds interesting. :)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
steelfiredragon
Maid
Maid

Post by steelfiredragon »

[quote="Argoth":20ngna5f]Eilistraee in Star Wars!??! Wow, I thought I was strange. But seriously, how do you incorporate a deity in a world where religion got replaced (not counting the Yuzhan Vong or whatever their called and Jaina Solo's little scheme in Dark Journey) with the Force, a very real thing?

O and yeah, I almost cried when I heard Mara Jade dies and Jacen Solo becomes Darth Cadus.[/quote:20ngna5f]

[Shir'le EDIT] Put the spoilers in hide tags.
Serath En'Sendaran
Maid
Maid

Post by Serath En'Sendaran »

Anyways... back on subject... :angel:

I think running our own campaign using either the 3.5 or Pathfinder rules would be great. I want to keep Eilistraee alive and well, personally.

I find the "older" rules provide a much better and involved roleplaying experience, beyond the hack and slash that has become the norm for a lot of the games.
"Plynn ussta che, plynn ussta thac'zil,
plynn uns'aa vel'klar Usstan shlubnaut fre'sla,
Flamgra l'thac'zil lu'caghresst l'qu'mados,
dos shlubnaut plynn l'anulo dal uns'aa."
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

Yeah, thanks for the spoilers. I was kinda looking forward to reading that SOME DAY!!!!

Shit.

O well. Carry on.
steelfiredragon
Maid
Maid

Post by steelfiredragon »

[quote="Argoth"]Yeah, thanks for the spoilers. I was kinda looking forward to reading that SOME DAY!!!!

Shit.

O well. Carry on.[/quote]

well go an read it then SOMEDAY then, I only said who not how..........

ahhhh the Obscenities, my ears!!!!!
Xityar
Maid
Maid

Post by Xityar »

I'm not a big fan of even the 3rd edition and will probably stick to the 2nd Edition ad&d.

Still there are some elements I enjoyed, but since I just love making rpg systems I foresee my own implementation soonish.

Since Eilistraee, and drow is such a big inspiration and source for great storytelling to me and my friends, giving up all of that would be pointless. 4e has nothing to offer. actually it seems to be more adapted for a bland computer game which is kind of pathetic.

I might agree that Eilistraee was slain, but in my books gods are immortal, so that takes care of that little problem, although she may be weakened and unable to act for a while, she's still around, and very likely consoling the wayward slayette in the afterlife...

Besides, her faithful doesn't dissappear over night after all, so she remains as powerful for quite some time.

[quote:24gi3c38]All Gods, from lesser to Demi-, have the powers described this section. Although these are powerful abilities they are taken for granted by the deities in this book.
[b:24gi3c38]Immortality:[/b:24gi3c38] All Gods are immortal. The only way for a god to die is to be destroyed by a god of higher statue in magical or physical combat. Otherwise, any god that suffers an attack that should destroy it simply disperses, then reassembles later (roll percentile dice to determine number of days). So, for example, a god which is seemingly torn apart by a powerful artifact would simply be dispersed, only to reassemble later.[/quote:24gi3c38]
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

Post by Unen_Stealthfoot »

[color=darkred:mdhcyhih]A. What's that quote from?

B. Can they be destroyed by mortals, etc. while on their home plane of existence?[/color:mdhcyhih]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Journey before destination
Drathir murrpau
Regular

Post by Drathir murrpau »

Stick with 3E; ignore 4E and keep what we have.
Narsia Ny'Dhun
Resident

Post by Narsia Ny'Dhun »

Those of you who have been following me on this forum know that I'm a greater fan of the books than the game itself. Well I've recently been rereading my books concerning the drow and I've noticed something kind of disturbing. I think the theory about the death of our Lady wasn't just a last minute impulse decision, but rather it appears to me that it's been in the works for amost ten years now based on what I've been reading.

The strongest example of this is the Starlight and Shadows trilogy, which to the best of my knowledge was published before the War of the Spider Queen.

[hide:3g5721xp]Despite all that Liriel was able to escape from and the limited level of personal redemption she achieved, she still unwittingly took the first step in assuring the fall of the Lady by revealing the Promenade unknowingly to the eyes of Lloth (that's how I spell the bitch's name, no comments) and enabling Underdark drow to walk n the light undiminished and with all their power intact, Lloth's clergy included.[/hide:3g5721xp]

That being said, I think we were screwed a long, long time ago and we just didn't know it yet.

This realization is a bit of a blow for me, seeing as I've sunk so much of my hard earned money into the FR novels. I love a good book, and I'm quickly realizing that while some of their books may have reasonably good endings, no story in the FR setting ever really closes in a positive way. It's making me start to wonder, if it's even worth finishing the ones I haven't yet read.

And in closing I offer a repeat and expansion of this statement. I blame World of Warcraft, Warhammer and all other games like it in the dark fantasy genre where nothing good ever happens because drama sells. The fantasy genre in my opinion is taking a sickening turn that I don't think I'm willing to stick around for.

Ad yet, like a lot, if not all, of you I probably will...
Harl l'drathir udos alure, Eilistraee lu'Anixiel ulu kyorl udossa zuch
Serath En'Sendaran
Maid
Maid

Post by Serath En'Sendaran »

I agree, the genre is taking a bad turn. I don't know if I agree that Warhammer is partially to blame, but I will agree that WoW and games like it have definitely taken their toll.

It's not just that people no longer want to have hope, or to see good things happen. They, as a whole, don't want to change the status quo, in my opinion.

One of the reasons I don't like WoW is because nothing I could do in that game could ever have a real effect. I'm playing a "hero" that slays dragons, saves damsels, and makes large amount of money... only to go back in tomorrow and kill the same dragon, save the same damsel, and get almost exactly the same amount of money.

This is the Status Quo. This is what people, as a collective, seem to want.

Drow are Evil. (Also, the only Drow worth fighting is the sexy, barely clothed, whip wielding hot female Drow priestess who never kills me if I lose, but makes me their little pleasure toy... feel free to insert appropriate version of prepubesent naughty little fantasy as is appropriate for gender or preferance.)
"I" (with my cool panther statue and scimitars) am the only "Good Drow".
Nothing Evil can ever be Good.
Ugly is Evil.
Different is Evil.
Change is an anomaly.

This is what it seems "what the people want". This is what people buy. Games where your characters run around picking loot off dead rats is far more interesting than running a game where your characters have to actually think are what sells these days.

I'm not sure if it's the idea that "It'll never end", or more the idea of "I just don't want to think anymore". I'm also not sure which scares me more.
"Plynn ussta che, plynn ussta thac'zil,
plynn uns'aa vel'klar Usstan shlubnaut fre'sla,
Flamgra l'thac'zil lu'caghresst l'qu'mados,
dos shlubnaut plynn l'anulo dal uns'aa."
Xityar
Maid
Maid

Post by Xityar »

[quote="Unen_Stealthfoot":3bud55bs][color=darkred:3bud55bs]A. What's that quote from?

B. Can they be destroyed by mortals, etc. while on their home plane of existence?[/color:3bud55bs][/quote:3bud55bs]

It's Second edition. "Legends and Lore"
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Post by Talwyn Aureliano »

[quote="Serath En'Sendaran":3tvfk9zm]I agree, the genre is taking a bad turn. I don't know if I agree that Warhammer is partially to blame, but I will agree that WoW and games like it have definitely taken their toll.

It's not just that people no longer want to have hope, or to see good things happen. They, as a whole, don't want to change the status quo, in my opinion.

One of the reasons I don't like WoW is because nothing I could do in that game could ever have a real effect. I'm playing a "hero" that slays dragons, saves damsels, and makes large amount of money... only to go back in tomorrow and kill the same dragon, save the same damsel, and get almost exactly the same amount of money.

This is the Status Quo. This is what people, as a collective, seem to want.

Drow are Evil. (Also, the only Drow worth fighting is the sexy, barely clothed, whip wielding hot female Drow priestess who never kills me if I lose, but makes me their little pleasure toy... feel free to insert appropriate version of prepubesent naughty little fantasy as is appropriate for gender or preferance.)
"I" (with my cool panther statue and scimitars) am the only "Good Drow".
Nothing Evil can ever be Good.
Ugly is Evil.
Different is Evil.
Change is an anomaly.

This is what it seems "what the people want". This is what people buy. Games where your characters run around picking loot off dead rats is far more interesting than running a game where your characters have to actually think are what sells these days.

I'm not sure if it's the idea that "It'll never end", or more the idea of "I just don't want to think anymore". I'm also not sure which scares me more.[/quote:3tvfk9zm]

Well said!
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

Alaric Darkrose
Regular

Post by Alaric Darkrose »

As far as the rules go, sticking with 3E/3.5E would be the easiest. The only thing we would have to do for her off of the top of my head would be an explanation on her rebirth and give her a Channel Divinity power for her Paladins and Clerics.

As far as storylines go...the easiest thing would be to ignore Lady Penitent and have everything set before it's events.

Although I am glad that no one wants to shut the site down.

EDIT: I have another idea. Lisa Smedman left it wide open for Eilistraee to be revived. No deity is truly dead as long as they have worshippers. And as Bane illustrated, if you get enough worshippers, you can be resurrected.
Xityar
Maid
Maid

Post by Xityar »

[quote="Alaric Darkrose":bsx60q7h]EDIT: I have another idea. Lisa Smedman left it wide open for Eilistraee to be revived. No deity is truly dead as long as they have worshippers. And as Bane illustrated, if you get enough worshippers, you can be resurrected.[/quote:bsx60q7h]

Very good point, regardless of how anyone wishes to accept events or not, as long as there are good drow and others who believe in her, she'll survive in some form.

She was supposed to be the saving grace for those drow who would try to find their way back into the light. Seeing as there isn't many gods nor individuals Faerun who has the same standing it's a fair guess that her followers will remain.