4E: What do we do?

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Go 4E; try and make Eilistraee fit in 4E.
14%
Stick with 3E; ignore 4E and keep what we have.
61%
Abandon D&D; fit Eilistraee in another rule system(s).
14%
Abandon systems; stick purely with Eilistraee’s background.
4%
Abandon Eilistraee; shut down the site.
No votes
Other (please explain).
7%

Total votes: 57

Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

With Eilistraee’s fate in 4E FR I thought I’d ask you what you think we, as Eilistraee.com should do next.

Personally I’m inclined to abandon D&D altogether now; we don’t need that game system to play, don’t need it to roleplay. But I can see people being for the other options too.

And I must admit that trying to develop Eilistraee for 4E has a certain appeal (not that I have much interest in 4E). It just feels wrong to do that because it’d be validating what the developers of 4E did to Eilistraee to begin with.

So I thought I’d ask you… where do you think we should go from here?

Love x-x-x-

Shir'le

Ps. Starting tomorrow I'll be out of the country for a few days (brother getting married) so might take a while to reply.
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Alediran Tir'ent
Maid
Maid

Post by Alediran Tir'ent »

Myself and others who I know will stick to 3rd edition and continue developing Realmslore. We have already started projects like the Elven Netbook (a full compilation of Elves of Faerûn) and the Kara-Tur Re-Dux and our main drive: Ye Classic Realms Compilation Project where we are going to compile, smooth and consolidate al Torilian history from the first instant until the end of the Year of Lightning Storms, from which point we'll make our own alternative history where aberrations like Lady Penitent and the death of Mystra (the two greatest aberrations of all) will never happen.

This is to remind everybody that if you want to stick to the true realms and 3rd edition you are not alone on this (I've also decided that the official rules for all our material will be Pathfinder's, to further distance ourselves from WotC and because it's really good stuff).
Nico
Maid
Maid

Post by Nico »

I'm really not liking 4th Ed at the moment. The d20 system needed an overhaul, but I think that both mechanically and fluff-wise they've gone about it the wrong way.

I mean, suddenly, dragonborn and tieflings are regularly playable races, and gnomes are not? [url=http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dn ... e:21p2yhru]What?[/url:21p2yhru] I know which one I'd choose. :'(
Alak Xiltyn
Regular

Post by Alak Xiltyn »

I got the chance to run the 4th edition module on sunday and while I enjoyed playing it really just didn't FEEL like D&D.

4th ed is extremely poorly suited to FR anyway, so I suggest that we embrace both, allowing forum members to choose what to use is, to me, the best option. If a GM is running a 4th ed RP thread and you're boycotting 4th ed, then don't play in that thread.

We're all outraged over what they did to Eilistraee and personally I find a LOT of the things that happened in the change over to be utterly ridiculous, as though suddenly after all those millenia of fighting each other a whole bunch of gods discover each other's weaknesses and exploit them all at the same time. it's just bad storytelling from my point of view.

In short I'm not going to be using the 4th Ed FR setting and will likely only rarely play 4th ed at all (of late I've been playing more d20 modern and Mechwarrior 3rd Ed anyway) but won't be out and out boycotting them.
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire
Arathen
Maid
Maid

Post by Arathen »

Personally, I've read through the 4th ed books and I rather enjoy the new rules. It's [i:jcdjtgu6]different[/i:jcdjtgu6], and I'm sorta waiting for the Swordmage class before I really try to translate my FR character, and I really do want to see where this new Realms goes. Besides, with all the loose ends and possibilities in the end, it's easy enough to say "yeah, she's still alive" because, well...her "death" isn't exactly concrete. Or, well...it's not necessarily permanent, in any case.
"Courage lies not in the lack of fear...but in doing something you are afraid to."

Check out the progress on my book at http://kaavelbaelithar.deviantart.com/
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

I personally don't want to have anything in common with 4ed. I may want to became a spectator of it, but I most certainly will not buy, play or contribute to it in any other way. Let's move on to another setting. Besides, what's done is done. I would find it extremely hard to fit in with FR 3.5 now.
DarkSongKnight
Maid
Maid

Post by DarkSongKnight »

I'm sticking with 3.5, ignoring nearly all of the 4E changes to the Realms, including the "death" of Eilistraee. I've no interest investing in another entirely new edition. Before you know it, 5E will come along.

Instead, I've become a Paizo subscriber. They've tweaked a few of the rules, but its still 3.x.
Alak Xiltyn
Regular

Post by Alak Xiltyn »

[quote="DarkSongKnight":22a1smj4]I'm sticking with 3.5, ignoring nearly all of the 4E changes to the Realms, including the "death" of Eilistraee. I've no interest investing in another entirely new edition. Before you know it, 5E will come along.

Instead, I've become a Paizo subscriber. They've tweaked a few of the rules, but its still 3.x.[/quote:22a1smj4]

Given what has been going in with WoTC of late I wouldn't be shocked to see Paizo or a similar entity take over the D&D franchise in the next few years.

D&D isn't the only WoTC property that is seeing drastic and potentially deadly changes, the new rarity in MTG being a prime example of recent Hasbro influenced dickery.
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire
Arathen
Maid
Maid

Post by Arathen »

one can hope...maybe if Paizo picked up the stuff they'd fix it, lol...rather than butchering things.
"Courage lies not in the lack of fear...but in doing something you are afraid to."

Check out the progress on my book at http://kaavelbaelithar.deviantart.com/
Rooky
Legend
Location: A spooky wood, with man-eating little giant space hampsters

Post by Rooky »

I find 4E lacking manny things.

For one thing it's that very same feel...it just doesn't feel like D&D. They kicked out the Druid, Gnomes and Hal-orcs. I don't mind the tieflings, hell I played one during my time with Planescape and they were excellent as far as I'm concerned, but one more elf species?

Aren't you people enough?

Although, I have noticed some old 2E monsters coming back.

All in all, I dare call 4E 'demo' for now. Positive thing is though the pictures are really nicely done.
:3
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

Pathfinder is... well... I've downloaded it and it's quite appealing to me. If we only made them to bring the Dark Elves (drow, Lythiiri, whatever) and Eilistraee appear... Or we can do that ourselves.
Narsia Ny'Dhun
Resident

Post by Narsia Ny'Dhun »

[quote="Rooky":12w2x04i]I find 4E lacking manny things.

For one thing it's that very same feel...it just doesn't feel like D&D.[/quote:12w2x04i]

That's because it's not a game anymore, it's a corporation led by a bunch of greedy nerds. I don't even play, but I read and I research and I can tell that all the feel has gone out of the game. The designers don't care about image or vision anymore. It's all about money.

From all that I've seen it really does look like they are trying to kill off the Realms as well, ever so slowly turning it over to beasts and evil deities, and they're doing it so slowly because they want to squeeze every penny out of the Realms before they finally destroy it. This is my feeling at least.
Harl l'drathir udos alure, Eilistraee lu'Anixiel ulu kyorl udossa zuch
Alediran Tir'ent
Maid
Maid

Post by Alediran Tir'ent »

[quote="Argoth":19c9cx5b]Pathfinder is... well... I've downloaded it and it's quite appealing to me. If we only made them to bring the Dark Elves (drow, Lythiiri, whatever) and Eilistraee appear... Or we can do that ourselves.[/quote:19c9cx5b]

Elaine Cunningham is the one asigned to do the elves of Golarion (as soon as I can I'll buy the Campaign Setting).

And for those who will keep to Classic Forgotten Realms, we are going to adapt everything to Pathfinder rules, update NPCs stats using the complete 3rd edition + Pathfinder (The Simbul as a Wizard/Sorcerer/Ultimate Magus for example) and make a clean version with all the setting's fluff in The Realms Vault (http://www.forgottenrealmsvault.com). That's why I created the site.
Rooky
Legend
Location: A spooky wood, with man-eating little giant space hampsters

Post by Rooky »

What of 3.5? I think he would be much easier to play, as it has more tweaks on it.
:3
Thalon Mercrow
Resident

Post by Thalon Mercrow »

stick with 3.5. every thing was fine until this mess happend.just stay the course.