Eilistraee is alive in 5e/post Sundering

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Irennan
Champion

Eilistraee is alive in 5e/post Sundering

Post by Irennan »

So, in Ed's upcoming novel, ''Spellstorm'', there's this passage -one of Elminster's thoughts about Mystra's current manifestation-:

[...]Twas no easy thing, being the goddess of magic. A different deity than the rest, in a world so steeped in the Art, a divinity that had to care more for mortals, or embrace utter tyranny. And at the same time share the Weave - the Weave that was Mystra, as well as being so much more - with other deities, or what remained of them, like Eilistraee[...]

This definitely means that Eilistraee is currently alive, since the new Mystra has to share the Weave with her. I've made some questions to Ed in his scroll, and e-mailed him. I will report here once I get answers. I will also edit Wikipedia and FR wiki once I get more info: the news have to spread :D

This is really encouraging, and -even if it is little- I can't wait to see the passages about Eilistraee that he is writing in his next novel.

It's also telling that Ed went out of his way to mention Eilistraee in a story that has nothing to do with her, it's just like he's really trying to tell people that Eilistraee lives :)
Last edited by Irennan on Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Re: Eilistraee is alive in 5e/post Sundering

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

That's great news. Thanks for sharing. :)

And yes, Mr Greenwood is great. :)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

Aand, Ed has answered to my questions:

1)Q: Does that thought (Mystra's sharing the Weave with Eilistraee) refer to the ''present'' time? If so, it would mean that Eilistraee is alive and -if you can share- I have some questions about that
A: Yes, that refers to the present time (and it makes me curious, why is Eilistraee among the deities with whom Mystra is sharing the Weave. Is it because of their old alliance? Because she is the daughter of a god of magic, so she has some kind of affinity?)

2)Q: Are Eilistraee and Vhaeraun separated again? A: Yes, separate again.

3)Q: Did she manage to survive to the events in LP like some speculated (in a fashion similar to how Mystra did, for example) and emerge again after the Sundering (or has the Sundering simply brought her back)?
A:Mortals know only of a reappearance, post-Sundering; details to be revealed, perhaps, in the fullness of time (this now 100% confirms that Eilistraee is alive in the present time).

4)Q:Also, in what condition is Eilistraee now, and what are she and her followers doing (and -since I'd like to edit the FR wiki page about her- is she now a demipower, or retained her status of lesser power)?
A:Current condition? Unknown to mortals (including power level/ranking); sorry

5)Q:Finally, where is Qilué's soul currently (since we know that the Cescent Blade couldn't destroy souls anymore, given that Cavatina survived it).
A:As for the soul you mention: also known. My bet would be on "a voice in the Weave" (there may or may not be more on this status, if not that particular soul, in future fiction, but it's too early to say for certain).

I've asked some clarification on 3 (namely, if she has appeared to mortals post-Sundering, or if they are only aware of her return (because she has sent visions or something like that), and if her followers know of her being alive. Will post here once I get the answer).

Also, really can't wait till Ed's next novel and see what new tidbits of lore we can get on Eilistraee, even if it is just little things.
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

If there were any doubt about this, here you go:

Hi again, all. Irennan, heeeere's Ed:

Communications being what they are in the Realms, with caravans bringing news and gossip and inevitable distortions as things get told and retold, most mortals can't be certain of much; they always have to trust (or not trust) retellings from afar.
However, the word spreading about the return of Eilistraee and Vhaeraun comes from excited reports of mortal worshippers personally meeting MANIFESTATIONS and AVATARS of the deities; i.e. yes, Vhaeraun and Eilistraee are both "back."
Now, as to whether they'll appear face to face with a given mortal in a given location in the Realms, that's a far different matter. The gods in general seem more "distant" post-Sundering, more "heard from" than "personally seen."

And there you have it.
The Word of Ed, so to speak.
love,
THO

And now I'm so happy that I feel I could go dancing in the moonlight. I'm off finishing editing the FR wiki and Wikipedia, can this be posted in the news section? I want the news to spread :D
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Irennan, you should now have access to post new threads in the news forum (which seems proper since you tend to be on top of news like this much more than the rest of us).

And that's wonderful, some great answers from Mr Greenwood there. And I'm quite happy with her being more 'distant' (as it feels proper for all deities to be since D&D is about the heroes and not about the gods). It does make me wonder how that works with Shir'le's Divine Agent of Eilistraee status/prestige class (where you can pretty much talk directly to your deity IIRC). Interesting times. :)

[i:3l6kffp1]<goes off to dance in the Moonlight with Irennan>[/i:3l6kffp1]

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

I think that Divine Agents of Eilistraee (and other deities) would still be able to commune with her, but the message wouldn't be 100% word of god, but rather muddy due to the difficulty of mortal-deity communication post-Sundering (in fact the reason why deities are more distant now is that Ao's reforging of the tablets of fate and sealing the new status of Toril's divine reality, forced deities to stop directly meddling).

I wouldn't agree that being more distant fits Eilistraee, though. Some other deities, yes, but someone like Eilistraee... She takes the role of a mother goddess, enjoyes helping her creature in their everyday life, is known to sometimes appear dancing among her followers -or generally makes her presence felt, albeit avoiding to directly meddle in mortals' lives and leaving them their space-. Eilistraee is a deity that is pretty close to her people (which doesn't mean taking the spotlight, since -as I said- she is quite the opposite of a heavy-handed meddler), because of whom she is to them. But then, she has no control over Ao's decisions, so it makes sense that she too will be more distant.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

I meant that I felt it made sense from a gameplay perspective. I know that Eilistraee would want to be closer to her people.

That said, every parent will eventually have to let their children go and let them find their own way (with support and advice from a distance). Though it might not have been her choice at this point, I can see her taking a role more like that now.

As for Divine Agents, it's been a while since I read the class description, but I recall being able to visit your deity in their home realm and talk to them face-to-face. I imagine that's probably a no-go now. :P But it's kind of fun figuring out how things work in the new status quo. (And E3 classes probably don't work anymore in the current rules anyway).

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

Wow, is the Divine Agent an epic class? By talking to your deity you would have access to basically any info possessed by him/her (particularly if relevant to your/their cause), and it would be HUGE. I pictured that ability working like a supernatural (i.e. you don't have to cast a spell, you can directly ''contact'' your deity), more sophisticated and open ''communion''.

Anyway, I guess that this capacity wouldn't really work well now, maybe it would be downgraded to the supernatural communion that I thought it were (even if -while AO established that deities couldn't appear on Toril/directly meddle anymore- I don't know if the new tablets prevent mortals from interacting with their deities in that way).

I see what you mean about Eilistraee, at some point she would have to let her ''children'' go. The thing is that new converts are not really ready for that, as she basically has to guide them and teach them life in the way that they have never known. But then she can rely on her priestesses for that (even if -on a second thought- perhaps Ao's edict is more aimed towards deities struggling for power, rather than deities ''silently'' helping mortals in their life like Eilistraee does, so maybe she could continue to do her thing, in a way. After all Ed has said that while deities would no longer directly appear to mortals, it could still possible to hear/feel them).
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

I found a link with details on the Divine Agent prestige class (though can't compare how accurate it really is):

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/realm3/migdali ... l:1ntwms7u]Divine Agent[/url:1ntwms7u]

The ability I was talking about is called "Audience" and is a level 7 ability (by which time you're likely into epic levels; I'd expect one to only get the class when already high level). And with the requirements it's pretty much up to DM whether to allow the class or not.

As for Eilistraee guiding and influencing, In your quote Ed mentioned manifestations and avatars, which (the first particularly) is pretty much how Eilistraee has mostly been guiding her followers anyway (or at least that's my impression). "Eilistraee's most used manifestations are a silvery radiance, sometimes accompanied by a wordless snatch of song or a few echoing harp notes."

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

Oh, I like the class, and Audience is a yearly skill, so it makes sense now. I thought that it had daily uses, that's what made it sound broken to me (basically, it would allow the PC to metagame).

As for Eilistraee's sending avatars and manifestations, that was [i:3d96kwz2]during[/i:3d96kwz2] the Sundering, before Ao's reforging of the Tablets of Fate. After it, the deities will be only ''heard from'' -or felt through visions/dreams/emotions-, but then this should not stop Eilistraee from doing what she used to (except sometimes joining her followers in their dance, or giving them some practical direct aid like she enjoys to. Even then, the more I read Ao's motivations, the more I'm convinced that his edict is mainly aimed towards stopping deities from directly, heavily influencing mortals' choices and from battling each other for more power. Lolth is definitely going to be pissed, since she sends avatars even to tell her followers that their shoes don't match their dress...).
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

[quote="Irennan":1zrllas5]Lolth is definitely going to be pissed[/quote:1zrllas5]
In fairness, when is she ever not? :P

And I didn't realize that was only during the Sundering and that such things aren't possible anymore. Explains a few things (though I would hope that some very subtle things would still be possible). Ad I'm certain that you're right about it being about stopping deities from directly telling mortals how to tie their shoelaces.

As I said, interesting times. :)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

[quote="Shir'le E. Illios":14nu5cxd][quote="Irennan":14nu5cxd]Lolth is definitely going to be pissed[/quote:14nu5cxd]
In fairness, when is she ever not? :P

[/quote:14nu5cxd]

True, true. She could take a lesson or two on enjoying life from her daughter :p

[quote:14nu5cxd]And I didn't realize that was only during the Sundering and that such things aren't possible anymore. Explains a few things (though I would hope that some very subtle things would still be possible). Ad I'm certain that you're right about it being about stopping deities from directly telling mortals how to tie their shoelaces.

As I said, interesting times. :)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le[/quote:14nu5cxd]

Oh, don't worry, FR isn't becoming Eberron. It's just that deities will not be able to interact with mortals directly (or to kill each other, which is good), now that the Sundering is complete. This could be interpreted in many ways. Some people at Candlekeep suggest that deities will still be able to use their manifestations and servitors, but not avatars of any kind, except when possessing a high level priest(ess). In that case it wouldn't be just the deity to talk, but the deity ''filtered'' through her vessel, so nothing would be certain anyway (personal perception, goals and motivations of the vessel would still influence the message, basically). Eilistraee could manifest via one of her dark ladies, people would be able to feel her love and her warm embrace, but the goddess' message would be filtered through the lens of the dark lady's mind. Divine servitors could also be used to deliver messages, but in that case the servitor would still not know the actual truth.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

I always liked the subtlety of Eilistraee's manifestations; a silvery radiance, a few echoing harp notes, a flutter of silvery moths, etc. Not direct communication and still things that need to be interpreted, but there and showing her gentle guidance. Do hope we keep that.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

[quote="Shir'le E. Illios":1ktam9t9]I always liked the subtlety of Eilistraee's manifestations; a silvery radiance, a few echoing harp notes, a flutter of silvery moths, etc. Not direct communication and still things that need to be interpreted, but there and showing her gentle guidance. Do hope we keep that.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le[/quote:1ktam9t9]

True, I love that too, and that her aid/favor is of the practical, everyday-life kind (like Ed said in his post on her nature of mother-goddess, the force that brings the stag within the reach of the hungry drow's bow). But this shouldn't interfer with Ao's edict, so I guess that it will be kept.