Darastrixoposs (Dragon's Reign) D&D Campaign Setting Deity concept test.

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Leema Har'gachi
Regular

Darastrixoposs (Dragon's Reign) D&D Campaign Setting Deity concept test.

Post by Leema Har'gachi »

Recently, I've been in a web development class here at college so after getting a decent size site going I decided that I'm going to need some actual content for the site, so I actually have something to show off to the rest of the class. So I decided to dust off one of my old D&D project I had started back in 2008, when I had just got may hands on the 3.5 books and started making thing with that system.
For the most part The Campaign setting (though I really hadn't got much done by the time I really stopped having any real person to play with) was an more demi-human centric theme campaign setting, the basic plot of the setting is that 30,000 years ago on the Planet Darastrixtuka (its a jumble mess of a name I know) a monstrous civil war between the Chromatic and Metallic dragons was being waged. Stuck in the middle of this massive war the humans (go figure), elves (of all standard subraces), halfling, dwarfs, gnomes, and the ever so original, totally not a slightly different version of the dragonborn called the Dragonsoul (which you view my 3.5 race document on them here:[url:2wzp4qy5]https://www.scribd.com/document/122061112/Dragonsoul[/url:2wzp4qy5]). Of course this war was not only destructive to the varies races of the world, but also to the very world itself. In order to stop all this senseless fighting, the Dragon goddess Arsthyrtiaurathearvoral (known as the Matriarch Dragon) Descended into the Material plane to try and broke a peace between the two faction. Essentially, the main argument that caused this entire war was the difference of opinion of what they ( the dragons) should do with the vary recently and incredible primitive human culture. The Chromatic Dragon want to enslave all of humanity to essential satisfy their every whim, while the Metallic dragon felt that humans should be taken under the dragon's wings and taught how to live in a way that would be beneficial to all the racial however both camps realized that the humans would eventual develop quickly on their own and if left unchecked could cause major damage to the environment and the other races of the world. So after Much deliberation Arsthyrtiaurathearvoral decided that the only way to end this was to essential satisfy the demands of both camp, but does so in a way that doesn't really win her much favor with the other races and their gods. She creates the Dragon Pact.

Dragon Pact is magical in nature that essential creates a mark that acts as both a form of identification and as a beacon of shorts. With the pact dragon's and pretty much any humanoid other than human was able to claim ownership in a way of a human (basically they were enslaved), This satisfied the Chromatic. Arsthyrtiaurathearvoral also sent inside the pact a few per caution: First of all anyone human with pact mark could be released by there master, if this happen that human can never again be marked by the dragon pact as a nullified mark is there in its place. Second the mark is tuned to the frequency of the people of that world and the moment that a Pact mark is applied to a human from another world Arsthyrtiaurathearvoral instantly knows the creatures name, patron deity, location, and plane of origin and will immediately suggest the master to release the human and compensate them under the threat of intense pain. Thirdly, only human can have the pact mark on them (the mark is not exactly physical in nature as its more a symbol of energy that appears to any creature who focus on seeing the mark while looking on a marked creature) and the marks sharp is different for master to master.
Fast forward 30,000 years later and the dragons have split into 10 great nations one for each color of the main true dragons lead by a single Great Wyrm called the Dragonlord. After generation of generation of slavery, about 10% of the worlds human population of free out of that ten percent 38% flat-out hate dragon kind and have made a deal with the deal to get revenge by worshiping the dragon god of Chaos Ashardalon (yes that Ashardalon), who along with Lolth and Grumsh fill out the Big Bad triumvirate calle the Three Chaos Gods.
Now, that I got done with the settings back story this is what I am working on. You see, I have been kind of throwing around some ideas for the Drow Pantheon for the setting and I would like your guy's opinions and ideas on what I could do with them. Granted what I have right now isn't much.

Gods and Goddess of the Drow Pantheon
Deity / [b:2wzp4qy5]Rank[/b:2wzp4qy5] /[i:2wzp4qy5]Alignment[/i:2wzp4qy5] /[u:2wzp4qy5]Titles[/u:2wzp4qy5] /[i:2wzp4qy5]Portfolio[/i:2wzp4qy5]/ [b:2wzp4qy5]Domains[/b:2wzp4qy5]

Eilistraee / [b:2wzp4qy5]Intermediate[/b:2wzp4qy5]/ [i:2wzp4qy5]CG[/i:2wzp4qy5] / [u:2wzp4qy5]Dark Maiden, Lady Silverhair, Lady of the Dance, Moondancer[/u:2wzp4qy5]/[i:2wzp4qy5] Beauty, bards, dancing, dark elves, hunting, moon and moonlight, redemption, song, and swordplay[/i:2wzp4qy5]/ [b:2wzp4qy5]Chaos, Charm, Good, Healing, Moon, Nature, Song, and War[/b:2wzp4qy5]

Anistrial /[b:2wzp4qy5]Lesser[/b:2wzp4qy5] /[i:2wzp4qy5]NG[/i:2wzp4qy5] /[u:2wzp4qy5]The Sun Lover, Kissing Light, Mothering Sun, Lady of the Blackened Sun, The Obsidian Sun[/u:2wzp4qy5]/ [i:2wzp4qy5]Enchanters, illusions of beauty, love, marriage, pleasure, sex, and sunlight [/i:2wzp4qy5]/ [b:2wzp4qy5]Chaos, Charm, Good, Healing, Pleasure, and Sun[/b:2wzp4qy5]

Masked Lady/ [b:2wzp4qy5]Lesser[/b:2wzp4qy5] /[i:2wzp4qy5]CN[/i:2wzp4qy5] /[u:2wzp4qy5]The Lady of Masks, The Eclipse Thief, Lady Sun Stealer, The Eclipse Maiden, Mask of Mysteries[/u:2wzp4qy5]/ [i:2wzp4qy5]Beneficial chaos, eclipses, illusions, wizards, magic, mysteries, playfulness, and thieve[/i:2wzp4qy5]s/ [b:2wzp4qy5]Chaos, Charm, Darkness, Healing, Illusion, Magic, Moon, Sun, and Trickery[/b:2wzp4qy5]

Vhaeraun/ [b:2wzp4qy5]Intermediate[/b:2wzp4qy5] /[i:2wzp4qy5]NE [/i:2wzp4qy5]/[u:2wzp4qy5]The Masked God Night, The Shadow, Masked Lord, The Night Stealer[/u:2wzp4qy5] /[i:2wzp4qy5]Assassins, cunning, fighters, honor, knives, lies, new moon, poison, planning, and sneaking[/i:2wzp4qy5]/ [b:2wzp4qy5]Darkness, death, Evil, Illusion, Knowledge, Trickery, and War[/b:2wzp4qy5]

Lolth / [b:2wzp4qy5]Greater[/b:2wzp4qy5] /[i:2wzp4qy5]CE[/i:2wzp4qy5] /[u:2wzp4qy5]The Spider Queen, Queen of Spider, Blackspider, Lady of Chaos, Our Lady of Betrayal[/u:2wzp4qy5]/ [i:2wzp4qy5]Betrayal, chaos, darkness, death, drow, hatred, necromancy, revenge, and Spiders[/i:2wzp4qy5]/ [b:2wzp4qy5]Chaos, Darkness, Death, Destruction, Evil, Trickery, and Undeath[/b:2wzp4qy5]

[b:2wzp4qy5]Masked Lady[/b:2wzp4qy5]
[i:2wzp4qy5]The Lady of Masks, The Eclipse Thief, Lady Sun Stealer, The Eclipse Maiden, Mask of Mysteries [/i:2wzp4qy5]
Lesser Goddess
[b:2wzp4qy5]Alignment[/b:2wzp4qy5]: Chaotic Neutral (Good Tendencies)
[b:2wzp4qy5]Portfolio[/b:2wzp4qy5]: Beneficial chaos, eclipses, illusions, wizards, magic, mysteries, playfulness, thieves.
[b:2wzp4qy5]Allies[/b:2wzp4qy5]: Anistrial, Eilistraee, Erevan Ilesere, Arsthyrtiaurathearvoral The Matriarch Dragon, and Vhaeraun.
[b:2wzp4qy5]Enemies[/b:2wzp4qy5]: Ashardalon, Bahamut, Falazure, and Lolth.
[b:2wzp4qy5]Holy Symbol[/b:2wzp4qy5]: A longsword behind a black full-face mask outlined against a lunar Eclipse.
[b:2wzp4qy5]Domains[/b:2wzp4qy5]: Chaos, Charm, Darkness, Healing, Illusion, Magic, Moon, Sun, and Trickery
[b:2wzp4qy5]Typical Worshiper Alignments[/b:2wzp4qy5]: CG, NG, CN, NE
[b:2wzp4qy5]Favored Weapon[/b:2wzp4qy5]: A baster sword (+3 Singing Bastard Sword of Spell turning called Sun Stealer) and A Cloak of Elvenkind (A Spell Absorbing Cloak of Elvenkind and Protection that can turn into A +3 Dancing Bastard sword of Spell Absorption call The Eclipsing Moon).

The Masked Lady is a mysterious being, she takes great pleasure in hiding all things about her and enjoys that act of discovering secrets wither it be herself or her worshipers. She is both the patron deity of Drow thieves (though her coverage of thieves is mostly limited to those who consider themselves thieves and those who steal in unusual ways not commonly used by traditional thieves), wizards, and magic-users of all kinds and she has a particular fondness for Illusions. As such her lay worshipers tend to be thief/wizards or Illusionist who uses their talents for the “stealing arts”, in essence you can say she is the Patron Goddess of “I’m Not that Kind of Thief”. Of the deities in the drow pantheon she spends the most time on the material plane, so much so that her cleric adamantly believe that she has no home plane to speak of, wither this is true or not is not known and the Mask of Mysteries is not willing to speak on the subject. She has a very mischievous and playful nature to the point that she not only goes out of her way to pull harmless and intriguing pranks (which tend to often include flirtation) on mortals, but on gods themselves especially on the other deities of the Drow Pantheon. Because of this Lolth and Vhaeraun often dislike interacting with the Masked Lady on daily bases as all of them can agree that she can only be handled in small doses. In point a fact the Masked Lady admits often and very loudly to her worshipers and anyone else who will listen that her name and entire attire is one long running prank on Vhaeraun, said god refuses to talk about his feelings on the matter.

The Masked Lady is happiest when thieves steal successfully from those with more than necessary, any time any form of magic is learned or created in her name (as goes with being a goddess of magic), when someone discovers some kind of mystery or discovering the secrets of such mysterious, or anytime anyone for any reason might think that she might be really any of the other drow deity behind her black mask (and yes, some have even thought that she might be one of Vhaeraun’s avatars on more than one occasion, much to his great annoyance).

The Masked Lady is angered whenever a thief goes out of their way to harm or kill an individual that was not in any way capable of hindering their attempt to steal, whenever any magic item is destroyed or magic-users are unnecessarily killed. Any thief who steals from those in dire need will feel her wrath, and never every give way the answer to any mystery ever (hints are ok though). People who have no sense of humor or are completely aggressive to people who pull harmless pranks sadden her deep and she hates anyone who harms or attacks the weak or needy for selfish means, especially when it could be easily avoided.

When she appears to worshipers or really anyone she likes, she has the appearance of a tall (around 8 foot) Pitch-black as the emptiness of space skinned Drow (though its tends to be had to tell with how much of her is covered), she is of a fine yet athletic build. She wears tight fitting black leather pants and sleeveless leather tunic, complete with Striding Boots of Elvenkind that lets her move at twice her normal speed and her signature Black Cloak of Elvenkind that can not only function as cloak of protection, but can absorb any one spell of 7th level or lower once per round. Her cloak can also transform into a +3 Dancing Bastard Sword that not only continuous to have its spell absorption property, but can also fly up to 30 feet per round with simple a single thought from her and can attack a creature within range as if she was using it with her own hands. Floating at her right hip is sheathed a +3 Singing Bastard Sword which can once per round, turn any spell of 5th level or lower as if under the effects of a Spell Turning spell. Her face is covered by a black leather full-facial mask (it cover her from her brow to her chin) her deep blue eyes with every changing color flecks (like that of every color of the rainbow) and her long hair which look a different color to every person who see her (the color tends to be whatever color that person finds is the most attractive hair color to them and can even flash between multiple hair color for those who have no deep down preference. Her mask is unusual though as it can be interacted physically if she wants (grabbed, stretched or refitted, and cloned if desired by her), however unless she desires otherwise any attempt to grab or interact with the mask acts as though her mask wasn’t there (there hand would seem to make contact, but it would feel like they instead were touching her bare face instead). As such she can interact with her face as if her mask wasn’t there (you can imagine what uses that might serve if you want), it never hinders her ability to speak, breath into the air, or fell breezes. Furthermore, the mask protects her from any kind of supernatural, extraordinary, or magical effects that requires eye contact or to breath it in unless she allows it (this also applies to any copy mask that she creates, which can be given to any creature except those copies only last for one year before fading away).

The Masked lady always radiates an aura of supernatural beauty around her anyone who is within 120 feet of her or who can see her instantly knows that she is heavenly beautiful even though they can't see her actual face through the mask and for as long as they are in either range of her or looking at her take a -5 penalty on attack rolls against her and take a -10 penalty on saving throws against charm and illusion effects she casts on them. She has all the abilities of a drow of her effective level would in additions to being able to cast any 1st level wizards spell as many times as she wants per day, she can use both suggestion and dominate monster three times per day, detect lie and mirror image twice per day, and can cast True resurrection once per day all of which are spell like abilities. Whenever she is in darkness or it is an eclipse she regenerates 5 hit points per round and can regain lost limbs, she also gains a shadowy aura that gives her a + 5 bonus to Armor class and allows her to shrug off the first 5 points of damage from anything other than +3 or greater magical weapons. She fights as both a 20th level fighter and Rouge and functions as a 30th level wizard except she can automatically spontaneously replace her prepared wizard spells with a cure wound spell, revivify, Resurrection, or True Resurrection spell of the Proper Level. As a goddess, she never fails on saving throws unless she rolls a one and gains the same benefit to any thieving related skill (search, spot, open locks, move silently, hide, and disable traps) as well.
CODENAME:Leema
Class:Variant Illusionist Favored Soul {gestalt}
Race:Shadow Drow
Height:5'8"
Weight:158 Ib.
Hair:Yellowish
Eyes:Purple(pinwheel)
Skin:Pitch-black(surrounded by Shadowy Purple Aura)
Deity:Eilistraee
Irennan
Champion

Re: Darastrixoposs (Dragon's Reign) D&D Campaign Setting Deity concept test.

Post by Irennan »

Well, your world sure has an interesting premise. I just don't get how, assuming that a minority of humans gets the mark of slavery, after 30k years, only 10% of them is free and 90% a slave. The difference in population should only drastically widen, in favor of the free humans.

In any case, re: the drow pantheon, since dragons are the centerpiece of your setting, I think that the first thing that you should do is defining the relationship of the drow deities with them. I assume that Eilistraee, Vhaeraun and Lolth are the same as they are in the Realms, so you have their goals and roles, but how do they interact with dragon? I can see Lolth getting in conflict with Ashardalon (being both deities of chaos, and Lolth not liking any rivalry), and Eilistraee despising chromatic dragons as a whole (since she and her followers have a hatred of slavery), and supporting the humans and the metallic dragons. How would they relate to the rest of the dragons and their deities? What would the other races and their deities do about the dragons' tyranny? What do the other races and their deities think of humans? Also, on a side note, how do the other races live, if the world is controlled by dragons? And so on.

I really like your Masked Lady (she sounds like a mash up between Mystra, a creative/artistic Robin Hood, and Erevan Ilesere) but I'm wondering if the aura of beauty is kinda out of place. The drow already have a goddess of beauty in Eilistraee, so that aura kinda overlaps with Eilistraee's abilities.
Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Leema Har'gachi
Regular

Re: Darastrixoposs (Dragon's Reign) D&D Campaign Setting Deity concept test.

Post by Leema Har'gachi »

[quote="Irennan":2kxglq2s]Well, your world sure has an interesting premise. I just don't get how, assuming that a minority of humans gets the mark of slavery, after 30k years, only 10% of them is free and 90% a slave. The difference in population should only drastically widen, in favor of the free humans.[/quote:2kxglq2s]
Yes, if you assumed a minority of humans got the Dragon Pact mark you would be indeed right. However, this wasn’t the case around 73% of humans was capture and Enslaved by the Dragons with in the first decade, 5% died during slave raids, and of the remaining 22% only 3% manage to avoid enslavement by the dragons in the next two decades. The remaining 3% had (a) received assistance from the Other races in evading the Dragon Pact (b) manage to find a rarely traveled by dragons area in the Southern Range, but had to deal with a extremely hostile area with little natural resources and as such had still maintained a small tribal culture on till Ashardalon and his worshipers appear with their trade relationship with the Underdark (more on that later) 25, 000 years later, (c) the rest were enslaved by races that didn’t use the Dragon Pact i.e. Orcs and Lolthite Drow.
Furth more, population growth was limited by how often the dragons themselves got sexually involved with their slaves, which for the Chromatic Dragons was often… VERY often, while the Metallics spent the first five years trying to teach them civilized Etiquette and well… they got discourage very quickly, instead opting to keep them under their wing until they matured natural that is what they originally intended until they just got lazy and just was a slightly nice version of the Chromatic Dragon civilization. On the other hands, because of the massive interspecies breeding between humans and their dragon/dragonsoul masters the Chromatic Dragon quickly became less chaotic in nature (reds and white), developing into of a family based empire.
Dragons tended to keep their half-dragon children close to them, offering jobs to them once they reach 30 or so years of age. When humans do get to breed with each other, it tended to be with a human that their dragon master brought to them. On occasion, two masters who let each other human slaves breed with each other. Normally when a Dragon Pact human has a child, their child is born with the mark of the parent’s master (even if one parent is not marked or has the Canceled mark), it should also be noted that even though Dragon Pact mark is transferable to offspring the Canceled mark cannot; so only freed humans are safe from enslavement by the Pact, but not their offspring. However, if two parents with different master have a child, the child is born unmarked. The two master tend to enter into negotiation for who has rights to the child or they will sell the child instead (in which case they both split profit). It should be noted that Half-humans are treated as non-humans by the pact (they can be masters, but never be slaves).

[quote="Irennan":2kxglq2s]In any case, re: the drow pantheon, since dragons are the centerpiece of your setting, I think that the first thing that you should do is defining the relationship of the drow deities with them. I assume that Eilistraee, Vhaeraun and Lolth are the same as they are in the Realms, so you have their goals and roles, but how do they interact with dragon? I can see Lolth getting in conflict with Ashardalon (being both deities of chaos, and Lolth not liking any rivalry), and Eilistraee despising chromatic dragons as a whole (since she and her followers have a hatred of slavery), and supporting the humans and the metallic dragons. How would they relate to the rest of the dragons and their deities? What would the other races and their deities do about the dragons' tyranny? What do the other races and their deities think of humans? Also, on a side note, how do the other races live, if the world is controlled by dragons? And so on.[/quote:2kxglq2s]

You are pretty much correct to assume that any differences between the realsmspace version and Dragon’s Reign in minimal at best, or virtually non-existence in Eilistraee’s case. It should mentioned however, that they aren’t immigrant Deities per say well Lolth (from when she was Araunshee) is as well as the main members of the Saldrine are, but Eilistraee and Vhaeraun are born in this cosmology in much the same way as in the Realm space, it’s just the events after the exile is different. Also as a Side not if you remember Vandria Gilmadrith from Races of the Wild, she is in universe Eilistraee’s and Vhaeraun Little Sister who was really young during the time of Lolth’s Betrayal and is a member of the Saldrine. The main differences for example Vhaeraun is Neutral Evil rather than Chaotic evil (which I never understood in the first place) and Lolth is focusing more on keep Conflict within houses to a minimum (as it weakens the house more than it make them stronger). She also avoids holding the Villain ball for the most part, thanks to her relationship with Ashardalon which I will get into later.

[quote="Irennan":2kxglq2s]I really like your Masked Lady (she sounds like a mash up between Mystra, a creative/artistic Robin Hood, and Erevan Ilesere) but I'm wondering if the aura of beauty is kinda out of place. The drow already have a goddess of beauty in Eilistraee, so that aura kinda overlaps with Eilistraee's abilities.[/quote:2kxglq2s]
I am glad you like the Masked Lady and on the Subject of her aura of Beauty. Keep in mind that she is essentially trolling Everyone (including the gods themselves) into thinking that she might be one of the other Drow gods. As such she has Vhaeraun's mask and style of dressing, The love of Chaos like lolth, the Playfulness which makes Anistrial's worshipers hold the idea of her might being an avatar of the Goddess of sex (This is despite the fact that they should know that Anistrial isn't the flirtatious type, being the more lest get down and have as much fun while doing it type, i.e. a good example of mortal not being able to understand their own god In Universe), and of course said Aura makes fallows through with that aspect of her personality.
CODENAME:Leema
Class:Variant Illusionist Favored Soul {gestalt}
Race:Shadow Drow
Height:5'8"
Weight:158 Ib.
Hair:Yellowish
Eyes:Purple(pinwheel)
Skin:Pitch-black(surrounded by Shadowy Purple Aura)
Deity:Eilistraee