A question: Related to skill design.

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Leema Har'gachi
Regular

A question: Related to skill design.

Post by Leema Har'gachi »

I mentioned last month that you might be seeing something more from my RPG project I've been working on soon. Well, I've been working on a packet of shorts to show people so I can give a more overall opinion on my system as a whole, but my game system has two different skill systems: Core skills and General Skills. Core skills are effectively skills as a class feature more akin to oD&D, Basic D&D, 1st edition, and 2nd edition and most of the rules and mechanics are handle in the class description, though it does need a bit of additional clarification on certain rules which I want to handle in the same chapter as general skills. General Skills are DC based more akin to the 3rd, 3.5, 4th, and 5th edition skill system and a more wide range of skills than core skills do and aside from the list of general skills that each class has proficiency in need to be handle in detail in its own chapter. Right now I am almost finished with the equipment and proficiency chapter. Since feat and spells will not be a complete list in this document and will probably only take a week to write and the only big chapter left not including skills is the combat rules chapter which will at the current rate will take maybe a month to write and edit, I need to pose a question on what state of the skill chapter chapter should I release this well "play test" document in.

Should I have the clarifications to the core skills and an overall list of the general skills? Or perhaps work on rules on only the general skills that have a core skill counterpart, then work on the rest after I've gotten feedback? Or should I put the several weeks time to get all of the general skills in a workable state before releasing it? As thing are going I might not get this document done and ready to be shown and used for play tested until mid or late july, but if I spend the time filling out everything for the general skill it might take several more weeks to get it out for feedback. What do you think I should do?
CODENAME:Leema
Class:Variant Illusionist Favored Soul {gestalt}
Race:Shadow Drow
Height:5'8"
Weight:158 Ib.
Hair:Yellowish
Eyes:Purple(pinwheel)
Skin:Pitch-black(surrounded by Shadowy Purple Aura)
Deity:Eilistraee
Irennan
Champion

Re: A question: Related to skill design.

Post by Irennan »

Focus on a small group of general skills that have a counterpart among the core skills. If your system is nw, don't try to do all together. Focus on some central elements or on some elements that you halready have clear, then--based on those few elements-- develop models, and using those models later develop other skills.

For example, if you have already figured out everything about the Acriobatics skill, both core and general aspects of it, then complete its development, and use the model of that skill to write other skills.
Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.