In the future.

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Orin
Maid
Maid

In the future.

Post by Orin »

This is an open ended question that is more food for thought than anything else I think. If anyone on here has ever played that one D20 modern game where there are drow, it might be a bit easier to think about for you too.

In a more modern, or even futuristic world, what would the Church of Eilistraee look like? What would her clergy be like? Or just even a worshiper or community of worshipers?

I'm actually kind of short on ideas for this, but the first thing that springs to mind is either a commune that exists away from the confining structure of more modern cities - or - perhaps some kind of night club with a glass ceiling to let the moonlight in. Or a venue of free expression, not dissimilar to Lorn's place in the show Angel if anyone has seen that.

So what do you think?
Let not the biting, callous and sometimes cruel words of unenlightened and uncaring minds sway your heart from your passions. For it is your passions that are the language with which your soul speaks to the world.
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Re: In the future.

Post by Bhaern Quel »

It is hard to say.
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

I don't have much time right now, so I can't write a proper response. However--if you're familiar with them--think a goodly version of the Warhammer 40k Eldar Harlequins: http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Harlequin#The_Dance

The Sword Dancers of Eilistraee would be much like them IMO. The Harlequins are wandering warrior-artists and performers that travel from craftworld to craftworld and that have an immense knowledge of the webway (a series of secret passages that connect various point of the Warp--Warhammer astral plane, basically--allowing them to easily appear and reappear where they want. Similar to how the Torilian followers of Eilistraee have their portal and tunnel network). Their race has lost all their gods, but one (the one they follow), so maybe the Sword Dancers of Eilistraee would find themselves in the same situation. Their race is in decline, their gods gone with the millennia, and Eilistraee is the only one who survived (aside from the giants like Lolth and Corellon), the only one who retained some faithful (as she's the only one who actually cares about her people), maybe weakened but still giving all herself for her cause.

Their Eilistraeean equivalent of the Harlequins would be more oriented towards spreading their art, joy, and defending people from dark forces (and, assuming that Lolth is still a thing, freeing their people from her grasp), than the giant "?" that they are in the WH40k universe. Their performance would be for its own sake and for creating and spreading beauty ofc, but the future Dancers of Eilistraee would also use it as an excuse to snatch away a lost drow child from the web of Lolth, or to thwart some nefarious plan, or dethrone some tyrant, and so on... In short, to carry on Eilistraee's quest and bring her light where she is needed.

Also, they probably wouldn't wear those masks.
Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Orin
Maid
Maid

Post by Orin »

[quote="Irennan":2vy1upy6]I don't have much time right now, so I can't write a proper response. However--if you're familiar with them--think a goodly version of the Warhammer 40k Eldar Harlequins: http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Harlequin#The_Dance

The Sword Dancers of Eilistraee would be much like them IMO. The Harlequins are wandering warrior-artists and performers that travel from craftworld to craftworld and that have an immense knowledge of the webway (a series of secret passages that connect various point of the Warp--Warhammer astral plane, basically--allowing them to easily appear and reappear where they want. Similar to how the Torilian followers of Eilistraee have their portal and tunnel network). Their race has lost all their gods, but one (the one they follow), so maybe the Sword Dancers of Eilistraee would find themselves in the same situation. Their race is in decline, their gods gone with the millennia, and Eilistraee is the only one who survived (aside from the giants like Lolth and Corellon), the only one who retained some faithful (as she's the only one who actually cares about her people), maybe weakened but still giving all herself for her cause.

Their Eilistraeean equivalent of the Harlequins would be more oriented towards spreading their art, joy, and defending people from dark forces (and, assuming that Lolth is still a thing, freeing their people from her grasp), than the giant "?" that they are in the WH40k universe. Their performance would be for its own sake and for creating and spreading beauty ofc, but the future Dancers of Eilistraee would also use it as an excuse to snatch away a lost drow child from the web of Lolth, or to thwart some nefarious plan, or dethrone some tyrant, and so on... In short, to carry on Eilistraee's quest and bring her light where she is needed.

Also, they probably wouldn't wear those masks.[/quote:2vy1upy6]

Thanks for posting something though you were short on time. The Harlequins sound really interesting and I think I remember someone telling me about them before and I remember liking what I heard then too.

I had no idea that the Eilistraeens had a network of tunnels! I remember a bit about the portal network from 'The Series That Shall Not Be Named', but I didn't realize that there were tunnels too.

The idea that Eilistraee is the only god to survive is encouraging to say the least. The group you've described, whether in a modern or futuristic space setting, sounds like awesome, frankly and one I'd join. I can even see adding the aspect of them as chain-breakers, like they are in Skullport, hunting down slavers and freeing slaves alike. I also particularly like the idea of them using it as an excuse to snatch away lost children from Lolth's web. Remind me to tell you of a mad plan I had regarding this.

Oh by the by, I'm not up on my forum lingo and don't know what ofc means. Could you explain it please?
Let not the biting, callous and sometimes cruel words of unenlightened and uncaring minds sway your heart from your passions. For it is your passions that are the language with which your soul speaks to the world.
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

If you think about it, the "wandering artists who are also chain breakers in disguise" is quite close to what Eilistraee and her followers currently are. Setting their duties towards the drow aside, they are supposed to bring joy, beauty and a smile wherever they go, while defending and freeing any and all people from evil and oppressors (and while working towards creating harmony among all races). The part where they use their art as disguise could be especially the so-called "Secret Moondancers" who hide within Lolthite cities playing that role. In my own campaign, I especially highlight this aspect of them (even more so because art plays such an important role for Eilistraee: it's one of her main ways to show the drow the beauty of the life that they have been denied, the freedom of self-expression that was crushed by Lolth, and the freedom to embrace and celebrate all the good things that the world gives you).

I'm very interested in your idea about drow children.

Oh, "ofc" means "of course".
Orin
Maid
Maid

Post by Orin »

[quote="Irennan":3haubqrm]If you think about it, the "wandering artists who are also chain breakers in disguise" is quite close to what Eilistraee and her followers currently are. Setting their duties towards the drow aside, they are supposed to bring joy, beauty and a smile wherever they go, while defending and freeing any and all people from evil and oppressors (and while working towards creating harmony among all races). The part where they use their art as disguise could be especially the so-called "Secret Moondancers" who hide within Lolthite cities playing that role. In my own campaign, I especially highlight this aspect of them (even more so because art plays such an important role for Eilistraee: it's one of her main ways to show the drow the beauty of the life that they have been denied, the freedom of self-expression that was crushed by Lolth, and the freedom to embrace and celebrate all the good things that the world gives you).

I'm very interested in your idea about drow children.

Oh, "ofc" means "of course".[/quote:3haubqrm]

I love the idea of a Secret Moondancer that has a secret collection of surfacer art that she only shows to those she thinks might hear Eilistraee's song. Showing certain drow paintings of green meadows at sunset, still lifes of the ocean and the like, or sculptures molded by surfacers. I love the idea of a drow trapped in that society seeing like...a flower, for the first time and becoming obsessed with the beauty and joy that they've been missing their whole lives.

Well, as much as I feel a connection with Drizzt, I think I've always just wanted to be besties with Jarlaxle. For a number of reasons, not the least of which that I believe in my heart that he's a good man, or at the very least as good a man as he can be given the situation. I also think that he and I would both get the same kind of dark joy from such a relationship, knowing that it is unseemly to other Underdark drow and outright offends Lolth. Anyway, I know that every single member of Bregan D'aerthe found themselves in the band, because they were basically rescued by the band, if not Jar himself. So the band [i:3haubqrm]and[/i:3haubqrm] he are familiar with a rescue operation. This is where my plan comes in. I, being an accomplished adventurer of course, would amass funds enough to legitimately hire Bregan D'aerthe. I would then use my friendship with Jarlaxle to do so for a very specific mission. Namely, to get hired or otherwise involve themselves in every house war, heretofore. Something they already do in spades, yes? The mission after that is simple: When one house is about to murder the younger children of another, as is usually the course with the barbarism of drow clan wars, Jarlaxle and his merry band (lol), rescue them and make it look like they died. This SHOULD be a piece of cake for them, but he'd probably still charge me a fortune to do it, friendship or no. Anyway, he'd then turn the children over to me and I would in turn, deliver them safely to the protective and nurturing arms of the Church of Eilistraee, whom I'd already made arrangements with to take the kids. It's really the perfect crime, because no one loses but the Spider Queen. The nobles that won the house war think that the kids are dead and so does everyone else, the children get to lead happy and safe lives among their own kind, Bregan D'aerthe turns a profit and Jarlaxle wins (as usual), the Eilistraeeans have saved a bunch of souls and not really had to lift a finger and I got to do something that makes a bunch of pretty drow women and the Goddess happy. I know what you're thinking; Why didn't I just rescue them myself? The answer is because I want the plan to work. Haha! And I will likely just be a liability, being a Rivvel and a hot head. Anyway, that's my plan to save like a hundred kids a year or so from Menzoberanzan and Ched Nasad.

Thanks for telling me that, I had a feeling it meant of course, but wasn't sure.
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

That's a nice idea, but I think that you'd need a truly huge amount of money to convince Jarlaxle to do that. He always seeks profit in any situation, and turning drow kids to a non-drow (follower of Eilistraee to boot!) is a heresy like few others. It would draw unwanted attention and hostility, were it to be ever unmasked.

In any case, he has done more dangerous stuff, I guess, so it could very well work.

(btw, rivvil(s?) should never be underestimated. The "rivvil" are likely the most powerful race on Toril, even if the drow will never admit that. Even when it comes to magic--the supposedly best field of drow and elves--their achievements are unmatched. Not even High Magic is comparable to the likes of Netheril or Imaskar).
Orin
Maid
Maid

Post by Orin »

Oh I could make the money for sure. This would be well into my long and illustrious career mind you. After I've sold every short sword, nicked dagger, flourospar and bag of grain I could carry to whomever would give me a silver or nine for it. There's also a few dragons that owe me a favor or two. I mean, I would have also invested a lot of money in ventures and the like. Not dissimilar that baker fellow that Jar set up in...was it Waterdeep? No matter. I'd get the money for sure.

And you're most certainly right about it being risky and Bregan D'Aerthe taking risky jobs. See i KNOW my friend Jarlaxle and he is happiest when he is with friends and taking risks. I offer him both in abundance! For as you say, the plan involves turning potential worshipers of Lolth into Eilistraeens, an unforgivable heresy. That's why I picked him, he won't be able to resist the lure of the risk.

Ahaha! No my friend, I did not at all mean that I thought I would not be of use. I meant that in such a delicate rescue endeavor guile and subterfuge is what is necessary, not that I am without those qualities myself - especially in the planning stage as should be self evident, but a six foot five human with a bastard sword would stand out just a bit in that scenario, no?
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

[quote="Orin":10uhx6nv]Oh I could make the money for sure. This would be well into my long and illustrious career mind you. After I've sold every short sword, nicked dagger, flourospar and bag of grain I could carry to whomever would give me a silver or nine for it. There's also a few dragons that owe me a favor or two. I mean, I would have also invested a lot of money in ventures and the like. Not dissimilar that baker fellow that Jar set up in...was it Waterdeep? No matter. I'd get the money for sure.

And you're most certainly right about it being risky and Bregan D'Aerthe taking risky jobs. See i KNOW my friend Jarlaxle and he is happiest when he is with friends and taking risks. I offer him both in abundance! For as you say, the plan involves turning potential worshipers of Lolth into Eilistraeens, an unforgivable heresy. That's why I picked him, he won't be able to resist the lure of the risk.

Ahaha! No my friend, I did not at all mean that I thought I would not be of use. I meant that in such a delicate rescue endeavor guile and subterfuge is what is necessary, not that I am without those qualities myself - especially in the planning stage as should be self evident, but a six foot five human with a bastard sword would stand out just a bit in that scenario, no?[/quote:10uhx6nv]

That's why some bard levels for "alter self" always come in handy :p
Orin
Maid
Maid

Post by Orin »

[quote="Irennan":2nkdygi2]

That's why some bard levels for "alter self" always come in handy :p[/quote:2nkdygi2]

Touche'. You know I sometimes feel like Nale from OOTS, because the character I want to play is somewhat needlessly convoluted and that I should just play a bard, but I like feats and I like being able to choose my class skills! At any rate, I digress. You are, of course, correct. Even a magical item with Alter Self would do the trick and I'd likely have it as well.