Drow skin textures (nudity inside)

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Which of these drow skin textures looks better?

Image A looks the best
23%
Image B looks the best
38%
Image C looks the best
No votes
A and B look equally good
23%
A and C look equally good
8%
B and C look equally good
No votes
They all look equally good
8%
They're all horrible
No votes

Total votes: 13

Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Drow skin textures (nudity inside)

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

I’ve recently re-installed Poser again, but I lost all my old drow-related models and such. So I’ve been looking online for drow textures for Poser and came across a couple.

Of course, they all cost money. :squirt:

So I’d like to know, which of the following images do you think has better drow skin? Don’t look at the hair since that’s separate anyway (none of these include hairstyles). It’s purely about the skin.

[center:203ef6yv][img:203ef6yv]http://www.eilistraee.com/a/drowA.jpg[/img:203ef6yv]

[img:203ef6yv]http://www.eilistraee.com/a/drowB.jpg[/img:203ef6yv]

[img:203ef6yv]http://www.eilistraee.com/a/drowC.jpg[/img:203ef6yv][/center:203ef6yv]

Now, first make up your mind on which you like best and vote. Then come back to this post after that. Go on, I’ll wait. :D

Done? Alright.

Personally I don’t like C very much. The skin is way too blue/purple-ish. That might be close to a dark elf in EQ or something, but it isn’t a drow.

I like A. I think of all of them it looks the most realistic, particularly the one on the right. I can imagine that being an actual skin and it’s still black. Slightly worrying to me though is that all the preview pictures (except the one on the right) look like the one on the left, which seems to have a brown tint.

And finally B looks very nice. I think this one is closest to the original description of drow having “obsidian black” skin. It doesn’t look quite as realistic as A though. Also the pack doesn’t have nearly as much options as A.

In short, I’m kinda torn between A and B and thus thought I’d ask you guys what you thought was the best looking drow skin. :)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

The background has an impact.

A's skin though struck be as dieased skin. It is a hard call, but I voted a straighr B, C might be half Drow.
Ssin'urn Streea
Regular

Post by Ssin'urn Streea »

[color=indigo:1yo5n94a]I agree with BQ, the background does have an effect on the appearance of the condition of drow skin. I like the second A's texture but it appears as a black and white photo. I think it is closer to life like. Though I think I prefer the obsidian skinned drow of B. If only they had a little less sheen, they kind of look like they were doused in baby oil. [/color:1yo5n94a] :p
~Don't close your Eyes~

Dos zhahen rosin bri wun vlos lu sca varn, orior ulu el nindel i dol!
Tyrmer
Hero||Heroine

Post by Tyrmer »

I like the second A (rigth hand side), the first A looks too brown to me and B looks too shiny (reminds me of black leather, not that I know much about that nudge nudge wink wink know what I mean?), it doesn't look too bad on the close up of the face but I think the ful body looks a little off. C just looks too purple as you said.

I must admit I'm not particularly up on drow but I'm sure it says that the flesh tones vary from drow t odrow (as it does in humans).
Titles:

Master of the Lady's Dances
Recoverer of the Tome of Moonlight
Scribe of the Dark Maiden's Temple

High Priest of the Church of Rooky :D
Aessinus
Maid
Maid

Post by Aessinus »

Agreed. Just a bit bit too shiny, but proper tone. Can you give her a shower to remove the oil? ;)
Merinid Tlin'orzza
Regular

Post by Merinid Tlin'orzza »

[color=darkslateblue:gh8rih4k]It's called obsidian for a reason. ;)

They all look equally good to me.[/color:gh8rih4k]
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote="Merinid Tlin'orzza":28yy2ezd][color=darkslateblue:28yy2ezd]It's called obsidian for a reason. ;)[/color:28yy2ezd][/quote:28yy2ezd]

"a dark natural glass formed by the cooling of molten lava."

Thus there can be justified some reflection, but there still is dark in color.
Merinid Tlin'orzza
Regular

Post by Merinid Tlin'orzza »

[color=darkslateblue:3lhjts22]Actually, it states in the 3.5E FR Underdark source book that drow skin can be of any shade from dark grey to polished obsidian.

I generally go by that guideline.[/color:3lhjts22]
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

Alright. Considering some of the comments I edited a couple of pictures.

I took The left side of image A, made it grayscale and then made the background pure black. Then I took the left side of B and made the background pure black as well. Just to give a fairly fair comparison.

It’s pretty rough, but should give a decent idea. Also, I think I probably won’t mind some post-processing. I can always make an image (partly) grayscale in PSP. Or better yet I might be able to just change the base skin texture (which is what I did to create the models on this site).

Anyway, how’s this for comparison?

[center:2ycbv825][img:2ycbv825]http://www.eilistraee.com/a/drowA2.jpg[/img:2ycbv825] [img:2ycbv825]http://www.eilistraee.com/a/drowB2.jpg[/img:2ycbv825][/center:2ycbv825]

Looking at it like that I’m really starting to like A. And seeing as B one costs a couple of dollars might just get them both anyway. Leave my options open. ;)

Any thoughts still appreciated.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
CrankyOzzie
Regular

Post by CrankyOzzie »

I voted A. B is way too shiny, it looks like she's been dipped in oil, as someone said. Too lazy to go back and read who, so..

C would be fine, if it was a couple of shades darker.

P.S. Since when did drow, being elves, get body hair? :eek:

Edited to correct typos, and also add.. I think the drow in A [i:1ma7ov3j]and[/i:1ma7ov3j] C both look more natural than the ones in B. There are minor blemishes with the skin, it actually has a texture. Not only that, their breasts look more natural, not like a ball cut in half and stuck on the woman's chest... well, they do!
Last edited by CrankyOzzie on Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I quit smoking with Eilistraee! - Courtesy of http://www.sloganizer.net/en/
Velve
Regular

Post by Velve »

I agree with most as has been said. A is the one I like best. B is too shiney. C would be good if it was darker.

And yes, technicaly if they are suposed to be full blooded Drow they should have no body hair.
Ssin'urn Streea
Regular

Post by Ssin'urn Streea »

[color=indigo:2143vchl][b:2143vchl][i:2143vchl][font=garamond:2143vchl]Ok, I like A2. That seems more natural, even that particular pic's form appears more realistic. Still a bit too much sheen on b2. [/i:2143vchl][/b:2143vchl][/size:2143vchl][/font:2143vchl][/color:2143vchl]
~Don't close your Eyes~

Dos zhahen rosin bri wun vlos lu sca varn, orior ulu el nindel i dol!
Rooky
Legend
Location: A spooky wood, with man-eating little giant space hampsters

Post by Rooky »

A2 and B2 look eaqually good. As for the C picture, it's all about the artist. Coloring something in black and making it look good, is a bit hard...I know from personal experiance...
:3
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Hey you all were not to look at hair, *wink*

However since the issue has been raised EC and Ed has spoken on the topic with basically the same answer, generally there is no body hair, this does not forbid exceptions occuring from time to time.
Rooky
Legend
Location: A spooky wood, with man-eating little giant space hampsters

Post by Rooky »

Regoing through the pictures again...

It's definately the A2 that looks the most realistic...Major implant work....

And since when the Hells to Elves have body hair?
:3