A cryptic note

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

The Architect
of your future

Post by The Architect »

[quote="Merinid Tlin'orzza":1nrmflec][color=darkslateblue:1nrmflec]..... ....- .---- ..... ...-- / ..--- .---- .---- ..... ..--- ..... / ..... ..--- ..--- .---- ---.. / -.... ----. / ..... ---.. ..--- ----- / .---- ----. ----. ---.. ..--- ----- / ..... .---- ....- .---- .---- .---- ..... .---- ---.. ..--- / ..--- .---- .---- ..... ..--- ..... / ....- .---- ..... .---- ---.. / .---- ....- ..... ---.. ..--- ----- / ...-- ..--- ----- ..--- ---.. ..--- ..... ..--- ----- ..--- ----- .---- ---.. ..--- ..... ----.

...-- / ..--- ----- / ..--- / ---.. / ..--- ..... / ..--- ----- / ..--- ----- / .---- ---.. / ..--- -.... / ----.[/color:1nrmflec]

;)[/quote:1nrmflec]
i'd decode it for you... but i think you've made a number of mistakes in that.

first, that's morse code with the morse translating into numbers. as such it translates into this:

5 4 1 5 3 / 2 1 1 5 2 5 / 5 2 2 1 8 / 6 9 / 5 8 2 0 / 1 9 9 8 2 0 / 5 1 4 1 1 1 5 1 8 2 / 2 1 1 5 2 5 / 4 1 5 1 8 / 1 4 5 8 2 0 / 3 2 0 2 8 2 5 2 0 2 0 1 8 2 5 9

3 / 2 0 / 2 / 8 / 2 5 / 2 0 / 2 0 / 1 8 / 2 6 / 9

so far so good.

now, you're using these numbers to count character positions in the alphabet: 1=A, 2=B, 3=C, etc. unfortunately, and this is your first mistake, you're being rather ambiguous about it as sometimes you have to take two numbers together and sometimes you don't. as such "1 1" could translate to "A A" or to "K". take this sequence in your code for example "2 1 1 5 2 5", which you use twice, this can potentially be decoded into the following different strings:

BAAEBE
UAEBE
BKEBE
BAOBE
BAAEY
BKEY
BAOY
UAEY
UOBE
UOY

for code breaking this isn't really that much of a problem... but you're breaking the first rule in codes: they have to be easily decodable if you know the key. that means it needs to be unambiguous.

anyway, the correct code it obviously the last one, since it translates into "you" written backwards. and that pattern holds for most of the others as well.

but then there is this sequence "5 1 4 1 1 1 5 1 8 2". since it starts with a "5" and there are only 26 letters in the alphabet it can't be part of a two-digit code (as that would put the number in the 50s) and thus has to be an "E". for the rest of the sequence i can decode it into "NKORB", or "brokne" backwards. and here i think you made a second mistake by forgetting to swap around the last to characters, or it would've been "broken".

then there's the last sequence of the first set. no matter how i try it doesn't turn into anything readable, so it seems this one is using something different or something in addition. the mest i can come up with is "CTBHYTTRYI" which looks russian to me. what leads me to believe you might've made a further mistake is that the second set has the exact same numbers... with the exception of one. it has a "Z" instead of an "Y".

i've put this code through various ciphers, including all 25 ceasar ciphers, but it doesn't translate. so for the moment i have no idea (assuming its correct and not just another language).

finally, you're ambiguous again with the order of the words. it seems like you randomly mixed them about to make it unreadable. still, with some trial and error i get the following:

"if you read this ??? then you have broken the code"

this leads me to believe that the word i can't decode means something like "correctly", which at least matches the code in character-count.

anyway, it was a nice challenge. thanks. :)
Velve
Regular

Post by Velve »

Hehe, I was going to do as The Architect did, however as soon as I realised I'd have to take a while working out which letters it was suposed to be (as with the example of the '1 1' being either 'a a' or 'k'), I dicided I was too lazy to take the time. :p

Ah well, I'm not much one for codes anyway. If I'm gonna say it I'll say it alloud for anyone to hear rather than layering it behind veils. That and I'm no good at making/breaking them. :-[

So sadly I've no codes to give....
Merinid Tlin'orzza
Regular

Post by Merinid Tlin'orzza »

[color=darkslateblue:2zw6w1vb]Well done! And thanks for pointing out my mistakes. :D

There is one thing though. The last code sequence isn't what you think it is, but rather, I had intended it to be the clue or key in making the code more sense of it's random mixture of words.

Here is the corrected last code.

[b:2zw6w1vb]3 20 2 8 25 20 20 18 25 9[/b:2zw6w1vb]

Each letter represents the first letter of each decoded word in a reversed coherent sentence.

[b:2zw6w1vb]c t b h y t t r y i[/b:2zw6w1vb]

[b:2zw6w1vb]c[/b:2zw6w1vb]ode [b:2zw6w1vb]t[/b:2zw6w1vb]he [b:2zw6w1vb]b[/b:2zw6w1vb]roken [b:2zw6w1vb]h[/b:2zw6w1vb]ave [b:2zw6w1vb]y[/b:2zw6w1vb]ou [b:2zw6w1vb]t[/b:2zw6w1vb]hen [b:2zw6w1vb]t[/b:2zw6w1vb]his [b:2zw6w1vb]r[/b:2zw6w1vb]ead [b:2zw6w1vb]y[/b:2zw6w1vb]ou [b:2zw6w1vb]i[/b:2zw6w1vb]f

Reverse the sentence, and you have:

[b:2zw6w1vb]if you read this then you have broken the code[/b:2zw6w1vb][/color:2zw6w1vb]
Shayera
Maid
Maid

Post by Shayera »

[quote="Shir'le E. Illios":2hkjzb5p]Oh come now Shay, what about that "Not to try is to admit defeat!". ;)[/quote:2hkjzb5p]

Huh? I tried, but ~40° C in my room (my apartment is directly under a black flat roof) make it hard to concentrate... :tear:

I've bought two fans, but instead of cooling [b:2hkjzb5p]me[/b:2hkjzb5p] i have to use them to cool my [b:2hkjzb5p]PC[/b:2hkjzb5p] :roll:

I wish it would rain for a day or two...
Not to try is to admit defeat!

It was curiousity that killed the cat - anonymous
But it got nine lives! - Shayera
Rooky
Legend
Location: A spooky wood, with man-eating little giant space hampsters

Post by Rooky »

SOmebody who knows my pain...
:3
The Architect
of your future

Post by The Architect »

[quote="Merinid Tlin'orzza":3qgji0va]There is one thing though. The last code sequence isn't what you think it is, but rather, I had intended it to be the clue or key in making the code more sense of it's random mixture of words.[/quote:3qgji0va]
ah, very clever. i missed that.

and posted part two.
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

Well either I'm too stupid, or I just don't know the language well enough to find anything... But the ever lasting high temperature in my room is just too much for me so my brain doesn't work properly... So I just be confused... :uh-huh:

<Mistakes made on purpose.>
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

Post by Unen_Stealthfoot »

[color=darkred:1ee4dovk]*reads, goes into shock, then begins to spazm uncontrollably.*[/color:1ee4dovk]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Journey before destination
The Architect
of your future

Post by The Architect »

interesting reaction.

wouldn't surprise me if more will have that reaction when they find out what this is all about. ;)
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

Well I suppose it will be something really funny, or really stupid, or both... :) Or I'm just too stupid...;)
The Architect
of your future

Post by The Architect »

neither actually... well, i guess it could be both. just hope it isn't the second.

and don't feel bad. at this point there isn't enough information available yet.
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

Thanks, but still I don't have an idea...