Drow language pronunciation

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Jallil Oura
Maid
Maid

Drow language pronunciation

Post by Jallil Oura »

I just joined for the sake of posting this question in hopes of getting a response. Is there a pronunciation guide to go with the Drow dictionary? If not, how should I be pronouncing things?
Velve
Regular

Post by Velve »

I usualy just pronouce exactly as they sound.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

As far as I’m aware there is no prescribed pronunciation with the drow language. Though I think that, in general, you’re fairly safe using English pronunciation.

The only thing I do know is that the convention is to pronounce the apostrophe (the “'”) as a glottal stop.

Oh, and the “ow” in “drow” is pronounced as that in “now”. But you probably already knew that. ;)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Vendrin
Maid
Maid

Post by Vendrin »

I know we all like the drow here... but come on. Actually speaking drow?
That's like.... LARPing. *shudders*
:p
"What does God want? Does God want goodness or the choice of goodness? Is a man who chooses evil perhaps in some way better than a man who has good imposed upon him?"
CrankyOzzie
Regular

Post by CrankyOzzie »

I used to know someone who could speak Drow, literally.

Anyway, I tend to roll my R's slightly, when sounding words out in my head. Not quite so much as a scotsman, and not as harsh sounding.

So for example, my character's name, Rade Ilphukiir, would sound to me like Rrar-day Eel-Phoo-Keer. I have had a couple of people make comments on the sexual appearance of the last name (I'll f**k her) Ahem.. I was quick to correct them
I quit smoking with Eilistraee! - Courtesy of http://www.sloganizer.net/en/
Velve
Regular

Post by Velve »

I imagen the way the voice of Viconia from BG2 (Haven't played the first, don't even know if the voice actor is the same, if there is one in the first), to be the way to pronounce words, if that helps anyone...
Ceistant
Maid
Maid

Post by Ceistant »

Here is a Drow language site for anyone that is interested..

[url=http://www.jashan.net/sites/conlangs/dr ... l:1gjd4ah3]Drow Language Project[/url:1gjd4ah3]
Karak
Maid
Maid

Post by Karak »

like the other elf tungs but with a more evil voice :devil:
The Dark Army Will Rise Again And Lay The World Under Shadow Garboch Da''Jinn (Domedags boken 45:67)
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

Post by Unen_Stealthfoot »

[color=indigo:3ergyt5e]Sort of deep, but sexy.[/color:3ergyt5e]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Journey before destination
Karak
Maid
Maid

Post by Karak »

yeah...i like that....deep but sexy... cudent think of a better why to describe it. :p
The Dark Army Will Rise Again And Lay The World Under Shadow Garboch Da''Jinn (Domedags boken 45:67)
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

Well they are smaller then even the surface elves, but still I'd say they have to have a deep voice. It would really go with power, that sort of voice. A little seductive, very sexy. And the thing Ceistant posted, about that drow language project, really great stuff. As I study English phonetics and phonology I find it quite interesting.