General Questions

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Synthro
Maid
Maid

General Questions

Post by Synthro »

Do my characters from Single Player mode carry over to Multiplayer?

Why can't I get into any of the multiplayer servers?

Whats the best roleplay server as of right now?

More to come as I progress into the game further.
Alak Xiltyn
Regular

Post by Alak Xiltyn »

#1. Yes if you export them

#2. Have you tried updating?

#3. I wish I knew
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

[quote="Synthro":2jqjd5bm]Do my characters from Single Player mode carry over to Multiplayer?[/quote:2jqjd5bm]
Well, that depends a lot on [i:2jqjd5bm]what[/i:2jqjd5bm] multiplayer. If you “export” you character in the game then it is saved to your “local vault”. This means you can use that character to play through new single-player modules and that you can play with them on server that allow local vault characters.

Of course the problem with that it that it makes it very easy for people to cheat (giving themselves lots of levels and gold and such before entering the online game). So servers can choose to only accept “server vault” characters. This means that your characters are stored on the server and that you don’t have direct access to them.

So if you want to play on a server vault server then you can’t take your character over from single player. And if you want to play on a local vault server then you (probably; there might be other restrictions such as a lower level-cap) can by exporting them.

[quote="Synthro":2jqjd5bm]Why can't I get into any of the multiplayer servers?[/quote:2jqjd5bm]
There are a number of possible answers to that.

First it could be that the version of your game doesn’t match up with the version of the server. This means that either you need to upgrade to the latest version or the server needs to upgrade to the latest version.

Secondly it could be that you have some network issues. For example if you’re behind a firewall (or a router or somesuch) then it could be that the right ports aren’t opened up, meaning that the game’s online traffic can’t get through. There might be other network issues as well; this is a rather wide and complex issue.

And thirdly it could be that you don’t have the data on your computer that the server requires you have. Generally you should get a descriptive warning of this (like the name of the hak pack you’re missing). If you’re asking about Neverwinter Nights 2 (instead of Neverwinter Nights 1) then it could also be that you’re missing the module data required to be able to play (a pwc-file). I suggest first trying to connect to servers running the (unmodified) official campaign so you at least know if you can connect at all or not. Other than that the server’s description should tell you where you can get the files needed (or at least point you to a page that does).

[quote="Synthro":2jqjd5bm]Whats the best roleplay server as of right now?[/quote:2jqjd5bm]
I’m assuming you’re asking for the recently released Neverwinter Nights 2. There I think the game is probably a little too new yet for there being a clear picture for that yet. After all it takes time to make a server; a [i:2jqjd5bm]lot[/i:2jqjd5bm] of time.

I think your best bet for roleplaying is staying with small groups playing the official campaign. Beyond that there are a number of dedicated servers up already where it’s really a matter of trying them out and seeing how you like the roleplaying there. And if you’ve got any suggestions for people then feel free to share them with us. ;)

I hope you can get your connection problems sorted.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee