D&D Next ~ Eilistraee Cleric Domain

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Leema Har'gachi
Regular

D&D Next ~ Eilistraee Cleric Domain

Post by Leema Har'gachi »

I had designed this Domain for use by any Eilistraeeans who wish to play with Eilistraee as their patron in the Next playtest since there is currently no moon, dancing or other Eilistraee related domains in the current playtest. I originally made this using the 1/28/13 packet but have since updated this with the newer rules from the 3/20/13 packet.

~The fallowing information assumed you have at least the 3/20/13 D&D next Playtesting packet~

Eilistraee
Cantrip: You know the guidance cantrip plus one cantrip of your choice from the cleric’s cantrip list.
Channel Divinity: You gain the Light of Heaven, Restore Health and Turn Undead options.
Disciple of Eilistraee: You gain proficiency with martial weapons and light armor. Additionally once per day you can spend one use of your channel divinity power to cast magic missile as a 1st level spell.
Domain Spells: You always have the fallowing spells prepared, provided you are able to cast cleric spells of the given level. They do not count against the number of spells you can prepare each day.

Spell
Level Domain Spell
1 eilistraee’s moonfire
2 spiritual weapon
3 moon bolt
4 divine power
5 eilistraee’s grace

Spells
Eilistraee’s Moonfire
1st-level evocation
You surround your hand or some other part of your body with light resembling moonlight. You can change the intensity from a faint glow equivalent to a candle to a clear, bright light equivalent to a torch. It varies in color as you desire, whether blue-white, soft green, white, silver.
Casting Time: 1 action.
Effect: You can use moonfire to make a magic touch attack on a hit it deal 2d6+5 points of cold damage. Whether or not the attack hits the spell is discharged.
Special: You can cause the moonlight to leave your body and move about as a single orb of light that provides 20 feet of bright illumination and 40 feet of shadowy illumination. Once it leaves your body, the effect’s duration is one minute. This effect lasts an additional minute for each spell slot of a level higher than 1st.

Moon Bolt
3rd-level evocation
You create a bolt of shimmering moonlight that streaks from your outstretched hand to strike any living or undead creature in range. Moon bolts strike targets unerringly.
Casting Time: 1 action.
Effect: Choose a creature within 100 feet of you, living creatures must make a constitution save or take 2d6 points of strength damage halve damage on successful save, while undead creatures must make a wisdom save or fall prone and remain motionless and helpless for 1d4 rounds, after which it is no longer helpless and can stand upright, but suffers a -2 penalty to attack rolls and on wisdom saves for one minute.
Special: If you cast this spell outdoors at night you can generate a second moon bolt that can be directed at the same target or a second target within 15 feet of the first target.

Eilistraee’s Grace
5th-level transmutation
With a single word, you call upon the might and grace of Eilistraee, bathing your body with divine energy.
Casting Time (Swift): 1 action. You can take another action as part of the same action, but not an action that involves casting a spell or activating a magical item.
Effect: Your body glows with silvery light, providing illumination to a radius of 60 feet. You gain a -20 penalty on dexterity checks to hide while under the effect of this spell. For the duration of the spell, you gain a +2 bonus to your dexterity, and your base land speed increases by +10 feet. In addition, your touch attacks and any melee weapon you wield become infused with this power as well. They are treated as radiant weapons. This spell lasts for one round.
Special: You can cast this spell as a reaction. If you cast this spell with a spell slot higher than 5th level its duration last for one additional round for each level higher than 5th.
CODENAME:Leema
Class:Variant Illusionist Favored Soul {gestalt}
Race:Shadow Drow
Height:5'8"
Weight:158 Ib.
Hair:Yellowish
Eyes:Purple(pinwheel)
Skin:Pitch-black(surrounded by Shadowy Purple Aura)
Deity:Eilistraee
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Re: D&D Next ~ Eilistraee Cleric Domain

Post by Bhaern Quel »

I moved to General Discussion.
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

Isn't Eilistraee's Grace a bit weak for a 5th level spell? I remember it being 3rd lvl in 3.5e, and if the casting system in Next is still vancian-like (I'm not testing Next, so I know little about it) the bonuses gained and their duration are somehow underwhelming for such a valuable slot IMO.
Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Leema Har'gachi
Regular

[quote="Irennan":1qog59jr]Isn't Eilistraee's Grace a bit weak for a 5th level spell? I remember it being 3rd lvl in 3.5e, and if the casting system in Next is still vancian-like (I'm not testing Next, so I know little about it) the bonuses gained and their duration are somehow underwhelming for such a valuable slot IMO.[/quote:1qog59jr]

In Dragon 315 when the spell first appeared for 3.5 edition it was a Brd 4th and Clr 5th. Later on it was rerelease in the spell compendium its name was changed to Grace and became a 2nd level bard spell, 3rd level clr. No other changes happend to the spell in the spell compendium. However their are two reason I have it as 5th level spell: One, I used the Dragon 315 version as I was also revising Moonbolt as well and two No D&D next spell(s) increase a single ability score by more than +1 as well as have more than two benefitall effect [the 60 feet radiance of light as well as radiant (good aligned weapon damage in the 3.5 version)damage are in most cases a benefitall effect).

It should also be noted that when moonbolt says [i:1qog59jr]-2 penalty on attack rolls and on wisdom save [/i:1qog59jr]or when eilistraee's grace says [i:1qog59jr]-20 penalty on dextery check to hide [/i:1qog59jr] it should technically say disadvantage on [attack rolls and on wisdom save (moonbolt) or dextery checks to hide (eilistraee's grace)] respectively as next gets rid of negitive penalties on most cases and replaces it with their advantage/disadvantage system.
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

[quote="Leema Har'gachi":360ljtrt]

In Dragon 315 when the spell first appeared for 3.5 edition it was a Brd 4th and Clr 5th. Later on it was rerelease in the spell compendium its name was changed to Grace and became a 2nd level bard spell, 3rd level clr. No other changes happend to the spell in the spell compendium. However their are two reason I have it as 5th level spell: One, I used the Dragon 315 version as I was also revising Moonbolt as well and two No D&D next spell(s) increase a single ability score by more than +1 as well as have more than two benefitall effect [the 60 feet radiance of light as well as radiant (good aligned weapon damage in the 3.5 version)damage are in most cases a benefitall effect).

[/quote:360ljtrt]

Eilistraee's Grace v 3.5 lasts CL rounds IIRC.

As I see it, +1 increase on to hit and damage rolls with light and ranged weapons, +1 to AC and Reflex save (this is what Dex does in Next AFAIK) for 1 round would very little for a 9th-10th level character if it consumed a 5th level slot (even the situational +2d6 damage would make little difference, unless Next has way lower hp values than 3.5). Moon Bolt, a 3rd level spell, looks way more useful to me, especially if its effect can be stacked.

Thanks for sharing these spells, though.
Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

I haven't really looked into the D&D Next rules yet (I think I'm technically in the test and can download them, just haven't bothered yet) so I can't really comment much on that (not to mention that I'm generally not good at balance-related issues).

I would expect, however, that if/when they make a D&D Next version of the Forgotten Realms that they'll include domains more common in the Forgotten Realms (much as they did with 3E). At the very least I would expect some moon domain in the FR as there are (or at least were) a number of moon-themed deities. Of course that completely depends on what way they're going with the deities and all.

For the rest the rules sound nice as far as I can tell. Just a couple of small remarks if you don't mind. :)

You state that you gain the "Turn Undead option". Now, I don't know what the options are, but turning undead doesn't seem particularly Eilistraeen. I mean to say that something like Turn Arachnids seems much more thematically appropriate (if such exists).

I must note again here that I don't really know the D&D Next rules. I just recall that they were considering making a difference between a "cleric" and a "priest" with the former being the typical turning, healing, mace-wielding holy warrior and the priest being more specifically deity-oriented and not necessarily having any (or all) of those but getting deity appropriate things instead. As such I would love to see an Eilistraeen priest(ess) without anything specifically undead related.

On a similar note Moon Bolt has something specifically oriented towards undead, but that doesn't make sense for either an Eilistraeen spell or a moon spell. In this case I would probably have the extra effect towards lycanthropes. Eilistraee doesn't have anything specifically against them (in fact she embraces good-aligned lycanthropes IIRC), but it [i:lgwnlnk7]is[/i:lgwnlnk7] appropriate for a moon-spell. A moon spell having specific effect against spiders doesn't make much sense either.

Anyway, I think with a few thematic tweaks like that it should be even better. :)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Leema Har'gachi
Regular

[quote="Shir'le E. Illios":1fgqn23j]I haven't really looked into the D&D Next rules yet (I think I'm technically in the test and can download them, just haven't bothered yet) so I can't really comment much on that (not to mention that I'm generally not good at balance-related issues).[/quote:1fgqn23j]

That's alright, I am sure there is enough of us here who do that will gladly do it for you, lady. At lest, you can check it out and get a general feel about how much you might enjoy it or not. Personally I wish they would release the multi-classing rules and Drow as a player race already (I am starting to get tired of think if their ability score adjustment will be in intelligence this time or charisma like in 4 edition [spiting in 4 edition's general direction]).

[quote="Shir'le E. Illios":1fgqn23j]I would expect, however, that if/when they make a D&D Next version of the Forgotten Realms that they'll include domains more common in the Forgotten Realms (much as they did with 3E). At the very least I would expect some moon domain in the FR as there are (or at least were) a number of moon-themed deities. Of course that completely depends on what way they're going with the deities and all.

For the rest the rules sound nice as far as I can tell. Just a couple of small remarks if you don't mind. :)[/quote:1fgqn23j]

Form the key note address, I'd say they won't do anything directly related to Toril until this new edition is officially released.

[quote="Shir'le E. Illios":1fgqn23j]You state that you gain the "Turn Undead option". Now, I don't know what the options are, but turning undead doesn't seem particularly Eilistraeen. I mean to say that something like Turn Arachnids seems much more thematically appropriate (if such exists).[/quote:1fgqn23j]

After reading this I check the Divine Channeling ability section to see how turn undead and rebuke undead work in next. Personally, I wouldn't advise using either or any kind of turning power too overall weak to use the destroy part and you'll not likely turning undead either until about 3rd level. To put it simple its by HP not HD, using cleric level. on side note relating turn Arachnids.... giant spider that is currently it, go luck finding one of those just to use that ability. To have that ability or any turn " enter specific creature type here", just replace undead in the text of turn undead and rebuke undead with "enter specific creature type here" and replace the original version on the above domain or any other domain in general. Also I should mention that I hate the fact domain spell currently go up only to 5th level despite the fact that clerics do actually have right now all 9 level just like 3rd/3.5, this is also the reason lesser spellsong and spellsong aren't on the above domain spell list as I wasn't going to put lesser spellsong in unless I could also have regular spellsong.
Ahhh Initiate of Eilistraee feat how I love you so!

[quote="Shir'le E. Illios":1fgqn23j]I must note again here that I don't really know the D&D Next rules. I just recall that they were considering making a difference between a "cleric" and a "priest" with the former being the typical turning, healing, mace-wielding holy warrior and the priest being more specifically deity-oriented and not necessarily having any (or all) of those but getting deity appropriate things instead. As such I would love to see an Eilistraeen priest(ess) without anything specifically undead related.

On a similar note Moon Bolt has something specifically oriented towards undead, but that doesn't make sense for either an Eilistraeen spell or a moon spell. In this case I would probably have the extra effect towards lycanthropes. Eilistraee doesn't have anything specifically against them (in fact she embraces good-aligned lycanthropes IIRC), but it [i:1fgqn23j]is[/i:1fgqn23j] appropriate for a moon-spell. A moon spell having specific effect against spiders doesn't make much sense either.

Anyway, I think with a few thematic tweaks like that it should be even better. :)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le[/quote:1fgqn23j]
The way they are trying to organize the domain is to make them closer to the spheres god(s) granted in 2nd edition. I never play a priest in 2nd (only Leema as a fighter) and I don't remember offhand how it played its been 2 years since I last read a 1st or 2nd edition player's handbook with it being about 4 years sense I and my entire family switched to 3.5 (my older brother has been playing since about 1996 and was my DM for most of my 2nd edition adventures).

We'll the main reason why moon bolt seem so undead fighting oriented is simply because it was so in 3rd/3.5. Thou there seems to be a slight problem in regards to the ability score damage that is inflicted on non-undead as ability damage is current (but in stated effects and in ruling) nonexistent in Next. The closet effect to such is feeble mind which reduce a targets intelligence or charisma to 3 and the side effect of casting the Next wish spell which currently reduce the casters strength to 3, both effect are dangerously powerful and are not even said to any kind of damage. I would probably be better to change the Next domain version to deal radiant damage or something, true though changing it lycanthropes would better suit are beautiful Goddess Eilistraee better. The major down side to that is only the werewolf is in the bestiaries current and his state only makes for a suitable encounter for 2nd and 3rd level character (sad shame too, they always were a descent encounter until 5th or 6th level in previous editions) with a much lower Ac then in previous editions.

Also it is always a pleasure to hear you opinion Lady high Priestess.
May 4th edition be damned again!