Interesting article I stumbled across

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

CrankyOzzie
Regular

Interesting article I stumbled across

Post by CrankyOzzie »

Whether this is authentic or some sort of mock up, I don't know. I had read about rumours that Interplay was considering making a Fallout-based MMORPG before, though, and this certainly looks official enough.

[url=http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/ ... m:2gvrguji]Click to read[/url:2gvrguji]

Given that Interplay went under a long time ago, I'm somewhat dubious about it. I believe EA brought Interplay when Interplay were in financial trouble.

For those of you who do not know, Fallout is a series of RPGs that were produced, if I recall correctly, between 1993 and 1999. They include Fallout, Fallout 2, Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel, and Fallout Tactics. The games are set in a post nuclear holocaust USA, the California region, to be more precise. What made them so popular was; there were no other RPGs like it at the time, most were fantasy based; there was a lot of cultural references in the game, particular to the region as it was at the time of the game's production; the game contained a LOT of little 'easter eggs', including references to Monty Python, Elvis' supposed abduction by aliens, and a crashed UFO. These were scattered about randomly, and contributed somewhat to the games replay value, and some actually served a purpose. For example, the crashed UFO had the picture of elvis, which could be sold, or used later i nthe game, as well as an Alien Blaster, the most powerful weapon in the game.

The second game also linked into the first, both directly (you played the son of the first hero) and indirectly (in one scene, you come across The Cafe of Broken Dreams, which was also in the original game).

Fallout was produced by Black Isle, some of whom, I believe, went on to join Bioware. I could be wrong on that, though. I hope they do make it into an MMORPG. I'd certainly give it a try
I quit smoking with Eilistraee! - Courtesy of http://www.sloganizer.net/en/
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

I love Fallout! Once I've been playing it the entire week, becouse there was noone home. I only had breaks to the (you know) to eat and sleep about 3 hours a day. I love that game! To me it will always be a RPG fenomena. O and there is a game like this set in something one can call the far future. Its calle RF Online. http://www.codemasters.co.uk/rfonline/f ... f0d3db7f12
This is it. It works like L2. You get the client, download a few patches to connect to particular serv and off you go with one the available races: Halflings, Elves or Robots. What's funny is that there are no humans. Halflings can construct things, like mechs they fight in, Elves have great summoning magic and robots are mechs themselves and have the greatest firepower. And the objective is to destroy the other races and mine for resources, so that your race can have better "stuff".
Payke
Maid
Maid

Post by Payke »

I would say as an MMORPG I don't think the original game concept would last, maybe as a LAN game like NWN it could!

FALLOUT is a great game!

Actually I started to try out DDO (Dungeon and Dragons online),
thought they destroyed some of the original stuff, I actually think it's a pretty good job to make such a game!
I am not sure what Codemasters helped doing, but I recognize a few stuff that could be them, the traps for once.
I got a game made my Codemasters and the traps is just the best thing about that game...
Severance, maybe you know of it!