Sacrifice of the Widow

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Sacrifice of the Widow

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Well some have recieved this book and making comments on it. Not sure I am happy about what a few others appear to be happy about.

IAE http://ww2.wizards.com/Books/Downloads/ ... 167400.zip is a sample chapter of the book where mother and daughter are playing a game.

Anybody here actually recieved and read this product? It clearly devles into Eilistraee to some extent.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

I was planning to go to the local store this weekend and see if they've got the book. If they don't (and they probably won't) I'll just order it off Amazon. It's a bit required reading for me.

Haven't heard anything about it yet though so I'm not sure what to expect. And seeing as I'm still disgusted by how the Lady Penitent came to be I'm rather worried.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Sabaal
Hero||Heroine

Post by Sabaal »

I'd like to read it but I think I'd have to wait a good time before it gets to our libraries
CrankyOzzie
Regular

Post by CrankyOzzie »

Just reading that excerpt has put me off buying this book. The writing is just.. it reads like it's forced, or pre-scripted. Almost like WoTC have stood over her shoulder and said "this is what is going to happen, now write a book about it." I've noticed that with most of the FR books I have read. The outcome seems to be pre-determined... which it is, mind you, but a story shouldn't give the impression it is. Of course, this could just be because I know a bit about the realms, and know what to expect.

Add to the above, there is no real description. It's more like a script, saying who's sitting where, and what they're doing. I mean, for all I know, Lolth's wearing a pink tutu and stockings, and Eilistraee's clad only in a purple g-string and suspenders, while her brother was wearing a frilly red dress covered in silver sequins, and the board they were playing on was green and pink checked. Though, it DOES say the board was made from a tree, so...

Either way, I'll stick with the Dragonlance books, thanks.

This review brought to you by Cranky, the guy who rants far too much.
I quit smoking with Eilistraee! - Courtesy of http://www.sloganizer.net/en/
Shando
Regular

Post by Shando »

So far what I seen of it, the book looks pretty interesting, though I do agree with Cranky on this one; the way it is written is sort of forced. The imagery of the scene is lacking abit if you ask me, maybe Lolth is down to her undies and the Dark Maiden is wearing a gambler's hat with the Spider Queen's lost outfit in her lap? Fun stuff XD

I also agree that FR books, at least the ones I read, have had forced endings. Bloodwalk? One of the best stories I read. Great main character, good overall story, but a horrible, forced ending.
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

Want a forced ending? Try Windwalker. That's a forced ending. But it's been discussed somewhere before.
CrankyOzzie
Regular

Post by CrankyOzzie »

I just read a few posts on the WoTC forums about this. Seems the Drow Pantheon is going to become a bit less crowded after this series is done, it's down 2 members by the end of the first book, apparently.

This is [url=http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.p ... 6:36whno4v]the thread[/url:36whno4v]. Some spoilers in there, as you'd imagine, and some wild speculation.
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote="CrankyOzzie":pwbzq3sj]
This is [url=http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.p ... 6:pwbzq3sj]the thread[/url:pwbzq3sj]. Some spoilers in there, as you'd imagine, and some wild speculation.[/quote:pwbzq3sj]

Less then impressed by the thread. Yes a few spoiliers are there, but in Realms deities often do not remain dead. There was some hope of followers of the Dark Maiden that Lolth died (in a sense she did) but istead got a more powerful force for Evil.
Shando
Regular

Post by Shando »

[quote="Argoth":3bd7t60a]Want a forced ending? Try Windwalker. That's a forced ending. But it's been discussed somewhere before.[/quote:3bd7t60a]

I know! That made me want to cry! I was half tempted to burn the book after =/
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

I haven’t read Sacrifice of the Widow yet (it should arrive later this week or early next week I hope), but I’ve had my fair share of spoilers already and, without spoiling anything myself, I’ll say this for the rest of the series…

I’m very scared. :/

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
CrankyOzzie
Regular

Post by CrankyOzzie »

Mmhmmm. I, personally, don't think they'd kill of the Dark Maiden. She's probably the second most popular of the Drow deities. There's a couple more threads related to the Lady Penitent on those forums. (do they mean Eilistraee? I've never worked that one out, I'm assuming they do).
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Lady Penitent = Halisstra (a twice traitor Preistess, she betrayed Lolth for Eilistraee, then betrayed Eilistraee for Lolth. Her reward was a transfomation into kind of a super Drider more or less)
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

[quote="Shando":1mn2yyr6][quote="Argoth":1mn2yyr6]Want a forced ending? Try Windwalker. That's a forced ending. But it's been discussed somewhere before.[/quote:1mn2yyr6]

I know! That made me want to cry! I was half tempted to burn the book after =/[/quote:1mn2yyr6]

You've got that right. Anyway, back to the Lady Penitent, I don't think I want to read that one. It's getting more and more... how to say it... someone's exaggerating. More books are beeing written just becouse someone wants the FR to go onward, someone wants something happening there, and I'm afraid that it's become just another money making machine, a moloch that does just that. Some of the books are really good, but on the other hand I've seen four times as much books that just suck. The three Baldur's Gate books for example. And who had the idea for making stats for gods? They're gods for crying out loud! Although they're not allmighty, they still are gods. A little too out of reach to be measured in any way, if you ask me. Ok, back to the drinking spree...
Rooky
Legend
Location: A spooky wood, with man-eating little giant space hampsters

Post by Rooky »

I think I'll stick with my coloring book.
:3
Vendrin
Maid
Maid

Post by Vendrin »

Holy fucking mother of all that is holy, unholy and everything in between.

This has got my expectations so high I don't know whether to laugh for joy or cry.

However I am pissed that the genderbias is now confirmed in eilistraee's faith as well. Not to mention that well... if you want spoilers pm me, but god damn it figures females would win out among the drow.

But maybe with certain... powershifts, eilistraee might not have much of a choice in looking more favorably on males.
"What does God want? Does God want goodness or the choice of goodness? Is a man who chooses evil perhaps in some way better than a man who has good imposed upon him?"