sword fighting

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

olath
Maid
Maid

sword fighting

Post by olath »

I was wondering is it just me are how many of you sword fight. :?
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

Not quite sure what you mean to ask, but topic seems more appropriate in General Discussion. So I moved it.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Tyrmer
Hero||Heroine

Post by Tyrmer »

Well not exactly sword fight but me and my friends used to do a bit of the ol' knockaround with bits of wood. There is a very funny story about when one of my friends swung at me with his sword he got from his parents though, I disarmed him without paying attention with my left hand (I'm right handed) and he was holding it in both hands. If anyone's wondering what the sword's like, its a copy of Anduril from LotR. My friend is an UBERly bad swordsman.
Titles:

Master of the Lady's Dances
Recoverer of the Tome of Moonlight
Scribe of the Dark Maiden's Temple

High Priest of the Church of Rooky :D
Drathir
Maid
Maid

Post by Drathir »

Heh, Ive been a swordsman for about 10 years, Since Shirle has demanded/requested that real world religions dont come into play on the boards Ill honor that request. But suffice to say swordfighting is a religious thing for me. But getting back on topic, Swords are beautiful things. Glorious to look upon yet deadly in trained hands. If you ever want to be in good shap start swordfighting. Thatll whip you in good shape.
olath
Maid
Maid

sword fighting

Post by olath »

I have practiced swordplay for about 14years now
On my own I also have a pretty funny story there was a fencing instructor come to my school well I hate fencing so I asked him if could fight him with my own style of fighting well lets put it this way he is not very coordinated when it comes to blocking two weapons
He went home with a bruised face and chest. Me I have always used real weapons besides a couple times me and my cousin trained with switch cane for a while them machetes and then to the real deal. I am also pretty good with a bow and thank you Eilistraee for correcting my mistake i am new at this.

:D
Drathir
Maid
Maid

Post by Drathir »

When I first started I used a bokuto(Wooden katana) But now I use a Katana various daggers a good sized sword and a tanto n wakizashi. I never much cared for fencing myself. It always seemed like a very restrictived style especially since a single well aimed strike can break the fencing foil......
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

Post by Unen_Stealthfoot »

Anyone live in southern nevada? I'm looking for sparring partners/swordfighting classes. :? and i can't find any :(
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Journey before destination
Velve
Regular

Post by Velve »

I have always had a liking for curved blades. Katana, scimitars, khukuri. I like all melee weaponry, but swords most of all, and curved blades above all else. Yet I have never done any actual sword fighting. In my area there is no place that practices it :(

Still, I like to practice alone, though not like thats really gonna do me much good other than getting used to the weapons weight...
olath
Maid
Maid

Post by olath »

unen the best thing to do is get you a weapon you like and come up with your own style I have always duel welded scimitars and used a bow I also practice many various weapons gust in case the rare acurenece of a weapon getting knocked out of your hand.
Last edited by olath on Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

Same here. Agree with all. I practice by myself, and I like cutlasses and scimitars, especially if they are shaped like drizzt's, you know just slightly curved and at the end nice and pointy... :zzz: I'm a bit long winded, sorry.
Life before death
Strength before weakness
olath
Maid
Maid

Post by olath »

i might can help you over the fourm if you need any advice.(:D)
olath
Maid
Maid

Post by olath »

I thought of a way for you to practice if you havent played amt guard you will learn somthing new ok you take a swimming noodle get a peice of schedule 40 pvc cut the pipe and the noodle to the size you whant it and slip the noodle on to the pvc and there you have it a none leathel practice weapon. :D
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

Thanks. Sorry to be so critical, but what about weight?
Life before death
Strength before weakness
olath
Maid
Maid

Post by olath »

if you whant you can do what i did i put lead weaights in it and made balls of tape to plug the hole.
Aessinus
Maid
Maid

Post by Aessinus »

Besides swim noodles, foam pipe insulation from a hardware store can be utilized effectively. Assemble PVC, cover with foam and wrap with duct tape. The newer tapes are available in colors, so a cutting edge can be noted. The weight and balance come out about right without additional weighting. Best to refrain from the wooden practice swords in the beginning, they will break bones:(

Some resource links:
http://www.a2armory.com/practice-swords.html
http://ic.net/~blues/wfstart.htm

Aessinus