sword fighting

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

olath
Maid
Maid

Post by olath »

this is true but insulation does not hold up long. I have been hit by an old peice that had been used a lot lets put it this way he probably thout i had a boken in my hand when i hit him back.
Zakharra
Maid
Maid

Post by Zakharra »

If you want sword fighting, try the SCA. Society for Creative Anachronisms(sp). They relive the Middle/Dark Ages and fight in armor and swords. They are also everywhere too.
olath
Maid
Maid

Post by olath »

thats cool sounds like every time i have friends over except fantasy style.
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

Post by Unen_Stealthfoot »

Sounds fun. All over the place you say? Great! Now I just have to get my mom to agree... Wish me luck.
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Journey before destination
Tyrmer
Hero||Heroine

Post by Tyrmer »

Lol me too, well in fatc my mum has pretty much agreed already, only problem is that my Shire doesn't have a website up and running so its hard to get information.
Titles:

Master of the Lady's Dances
Recoverer of the Tome of Moonlight
Scribe of the Dark Maiden's Temple

High Priest of the Church of Rooky :D
Rooky
Legend
Location: A spooky wood, with man-eating little giant space hampsters

Post by Rooky »

I use my old grandfathers short sword, and an ancient bastard sword that I barely managed to get back into shape. From my last exursion I stole a mace, and specialized in it. The old bastard sword now hangs in the living room of my grandfathers old house. I go there every once in a while and see if I'm improving in any way. And I am :devil:
:3
Tyrmer
Hero||Heroine

Post by Tyrmer »

Lol I'm aiming for a greatsword or bastard sword in two hands. I'll probably end up with a short/long sword and a shield though.
Titles:

Tyrmer
Hero||Heroine

Post by Tyrmer »

Lol, my society persona name sounds like a french beer. Johannes le Forgeron.
Titles:

olath
Maid
Maid

Post by olath »

My friends and me go to a patch of trees by a creek and practice there with real weapons also practice some archery and blocking arrows while the person is practicing with the bow i never realy have liked shilds. I also like making my own weapons and armour for friends.
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

Post by Unen_Stealthfoot »

Wow. I got my mom to agree, and it was easier than I thought.
You say you make your own equipment? Sounds cool... sounds hard. Especially the armor ;) know of anybody that gives weapon/armor smithing classes?
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Journey before destination
Drathir
Maid
Maid

Post by Drathir »

What do you want to make? Armour is fairly easy or insanely hard depending on what you want....... Weapons I cannot really help you with though..
Zakharra
Maid
Maid

Post by Zakharra »

Armor can be plastic, leather or metal. I used to be a member but NWN sucked me a way from the SCA. :p My kingdom is An Tir and the shire is Pendale.

Rooky, how do you practice? I have a viking style sword and several other smaller blades. Also a Japanese calvery saber.
Drathir
Maid
Maid

Post by Drathir »

Viking Style sword? The Vikings didnt really have a sword style.... The norse the originate from do however. Usually it was a broad blade with a well defined crossguard. Some speculate that the norse are the reason that we have Swords of War, or Bastard Swords as they are more commonly known. And By Japanese cavalry saber you mean what exactly? A Katana or something later?
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

" The typical Viking sword of the 9th and 10th centuries featured a long wide blade with a broad central fuller and two keen edges. The preferred stroke was a hard slash or chopping blow. A simple guard with forward curving quillions was combined with a utilitarian wooden handle covered with leather, bone, or brass. The distinctive feature of the Viking sword was its heavy 5 lobed pommel used to balance the long blade. Both guard and pommel bear traditional Celtic knot embellishments.

The swords had both pommel and guard often inlaid with gold designs following the Viking style. The blade was usually hand forged from high carbon steel, with a fuller and capable of bending 5" out of line and return to true. The swords of the Vikings bear typical four viking symbols, "Tir"- Courage, "Ur"- Strength, "Elhaz"- Protection and "Sigel"- Success."

At least one website claims, http://www.ancient-weapons.com/viking-swords.html there clearly many claims on the web about selling replicates of icking swords. Historical links are harder to find.
Zakharra
Maid
Maid

Post by Zakharra »

Hey, that's it exactly! Even the picture you have is accurate. I bought mine for $50 on EBay.

The Japanese saber isn't a katana, but a real calvery saber. I was told it was from the Japanese/Russo war of 1902(I think that's the date). It's old, but in near perfect shape.