Interesting Argument About Global Warming

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Interesting Argument About Global Warming

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

Thought about posting this in “On Promoting Joy”, but it’s not really a funny video or anything, just something that might get you thinking. So I wanted to show the video to people, hear some thought (and maybe do my good duty as citizen of the world in spreading the word ;) ).

[url=http://www.break.com/index/tough-to-argue.html:2s5qc14m]Interesting Argument About Global Warming[/url:2s5qc14m]

Ps. This is one of these topics which would otherwise have gone to the off-topic forum. :p

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Zaravir
Maid
Maid

Post by Zaravir »

First of all i think it is fair to say that the human race is the most radical change to the earths climate that has ever existed(in biological form atleast).

The constant release of different chemicals damage and contaminates the atmosphere. The most famous subject at the moment is CO2. Large amounts of CO2 is released from cars and industry every day. CO2 is a problem because it, in addition to being a greenhouse gas, is also capable of forming carboxylic acid(H2CO3) when it is combined with water(H2O). The atmosphere and the oceans are closely related and a lot of the CO2 that has previously been released into the atmosphere has been taken up by the oceans. Whenever a wave breaks the water combines with the air and in this way the contents of the atmosphere is transferred to ocean according to chemical equilibrium. A recent survey performed on the pacific and the atlantic ocenas by the american navy concluded that their pH level had dropped. Meaning the oceans are becoming more and more acidic due to increasing amounts of H2CO3 in the water.

The seas are the lungs of the earth. The micro organisms that live in the oceans produce by far the most of the oxygen we breath every day. These bacteria, plancton and the like may not survive a continuous drop of pH and if they should die not only the wildlife in the seas would be threatened. no oxygen, no respiration and thereby no mammals. It is vital for our oceans and our planet that the excessive release of CO2 into the atmosphere is stopped.

Another aspect of CO2 and methane(CH4) pollution is the greenhouse effect, causing an artificial heating of the planet. It is estimated that the heating of the oceans will have caused the polar caps to melt in about 60 years if nothing is done to prevent it.
This could in the outermost consequence trigger a new ice age as the cold water streaming from the north pole would interrupt the warm gulf stream that is responsible for the mild climate in Europe (and USA I guess).

So what can be done to stop this from happening? Stopping the industry is not likely to happen and people most likely wont stop driving cars either. The problem about oil is that it has a natural regeneration cycle of 300.000 years meaning that it would take nature 300.000 years to change the CO2 and other components released in combustion back into oil. Bio fule is already becoming increasingly popular which is a good sign. All trees and fields absorb CO2 from the atmosphere as long as they grow and since a corn field grows once a year, the natural cycle would be 1 year instead of 300.000. In other words the pollution would not build up over the decades but remain at the same level.
Furthermore a recent study indicated that if you plant 10 trees and let them grow you would have covered your CO2 consumption for your entire life. We all have a part to play. Being selective about furniture and other stuff may be a step in the right direction as well. If you buy a wooden table it is likely that a tree is going to be planted somewhere(which would not be the case with a metallic table).

This is not the first time action has been taken to intervene with our own pollution. The Montreal Protocol of 1989 aimed to inhibit use of CFC gasses in among other things refrigerators to prevent ozone depletion. Even though the ozone layer is still thin over the poles the concentration of CFC gasses in the atmosphere is decreasing year for year now. The ozone layer should recover.
It is possible to revoke our mistakes but it a costly and heavy affair and it will most likely need the help from all of us to happen.

Lastly, I want to say that all of this is a combination of a recent scientific program on the television and my own knowledge. Ultimately it is also my interpretation of what was said in the program so please bear with me if some unclarity or simply misunderstandings has occured. It is purely meant as general information.
I did not intend for this to be so elaborate but I ended up feeling compelled to see it through.
Alak Xiltyn
Regular

Post by Alak Xiltyn »

In short, better safe than sorry. Which is where I stand.
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire
Zaravir
Maid
Maid

Post by Zaravir »

Yeah, thanks for translating all that rubbish into something readable :D
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

Post by Unen_Stealthfoot »

:p [color=darkred:3j9szovk]ditto.[/color:3j9szovk]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Journey before destination
Zaravir
Maid
Maid

Post by Zaravir »

I just got vacation from a quite intense 2nd semester so I need a little time to lay off the wannabe scientific style :p
Alak Xiltyn
Regular

Post by Alak Xiltyn »

[quote="Zaravir":2j9lc4aj]I just got vacation from a quite intense 2nd semester so I need a little time to lay off the wannabe scientific style :p[/quote:2j9lc4aj]

I'm a philosophy major, drawing vacant stares is an art form for guys like you and me, I CAN distill the most in depth Philosophy and some pretty serious science into it's basic argument or statement, I don't unless I like the people.
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

[color=darkred:3eb4a5v6]Gee. I guess that means that you must like us. ;) [/color:3eb4a5v6]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

All and all it comes down to a dispute about nature vs. nurture.

If nature is the problem, nurture might be able to fix it by trying to reduce manmade effects.

If nurture is the problem, nature might be able to cure the problem by removing mankind. If this case applies, mankind trying to help nature, mankind stand a better chance of survival.
Rooky
Legend
Location: A spooky wood, with man-eating little giant space hampsters

Post by Rooky »

The problem is Nurture. Nature has to make a stand for herself and wipe out humans. We wasted our right to live.

Compared to the rest of animal kind we are weak, incapable of life withou our tehnology and other crap, and we all know to what nature breaks town at it's core: survival of the fittest. Humans have *NOTHING* and I mean nothing to do on this planet anymore.
Mother nature will cursh us like we crush the ants beneath our feet.
:3
Zaravir
Maid
Maid

Post by Zaravir »

Nature stood it's stand... And it lost. If the earth produces such dramatic changes that all of mankind would be annihilated there would not be much mother nature left afterwards.
Alak Xiltyn
Regular

Post by Alak Xiltyn »

[quote="Unen_Stealthfoot":308cb8rt][color=darkred:308cb8rt]Gee. I guess that means that you must like us. ;) [/color:308cb8rt][/quote:308cb8rt]
Everyone but you Unen. :p

The way I see thing the earth will, if given enough time heal itself, it's just a matter of HOW it heals itself and how long it takes. Theres a reason the guy in the video kept calling it global climate change and not global warming, because while the summers ARE getting hotter, the winters are getting colder too, it's a matter of action and reaction.

If you increase one extreme the other extremes will increase in response trying to balance things out.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

Actually, I’m finding that the winters get warmer… hadn’t had a decent amount of snow in ages; and I’ve seen photos from when I was really young when there were winters with so much snow that if came waist-high.

Anyway, I don’t quite agree with the logic presented in that video. Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s a good idea to try and do something to preserve nature and preserve the climate and all that, but I think the logic he presents is flawed.

Let me give you another example along equal lines…

You find yourself in a featureless room with your leg chained to a wall (anyone who “saw” that movie? :p ). There is a single door (unlocked), but you can’t reach it, and there is a saw on the ground next to you. Now, do you saw off your foot to escape?

According to his logic you immediately should without a second’s pause. Because if it [i:2g0yigir]is[/i:2g0yigir] the worst case where you’re left to die there then you stand to lose your life. While if it isn’t and someone is about to come in ten minutes to free you then at worst you stand to lose a foot (well, that and blood-loss, but work with me here). Personally however I’d probably wait a good while to see if anyone would come; I’d first want to know how big the chance is that I’m being left there to die.

Another such example would be that someone could argue “a meteor could hit the world and wipe out all life; give me billions of dollars and I’ll work on something to fix it”. Would you just give anyone who says that such amounts of money? I’d think you’d first have to assess the risk of a meteor actually hitting the earth as well as look into whether spending all that money is really going to make a difference.

Anyway, maybe Rooky is right and Mother Nature, looking like Uma Thurman or not, wipes out all life on the planet and starts over. Maybe we humans will do it ourselves long before that. Maybe aliens will come and make our lives paradise in harmony with everything around us. Maybe I don’t have a clue either and hope people smarter than I will make the right choices. :p

And maybe I just love dancing naked in the moonlight. ;)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

[color=darkred:1983k4sk]It all comes back to the earth will heal itself eventually... whether we're around to see it is another thing.[/color:1983k4sk]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Rooky
Legend
Location: A spooky wood, with man-eating little giant space hampsters

Post by Rooky »

[quote="Zaravir":325aneeu]Nature stood it's stand... And it lost. If the earth produces such dramatic changes that all of mankind would be annihilated there would not be much mother nature left afterwards.[/quote:325aneeu]

As fragile as she is, she'll comeback in all glory to a world rid of humans. If some creatures die, that's only because they're too weak to adapt.
She has a way of separating the weak from the strong. The great buffalo and moose became this big because settlers tried to wipe it out? NAture is the reason! All wolves hunted the buffalo and moose and they got so big becuase it was either to get big and strong or die by the tooth and claw of the hunters!

HUmans will die, because they wish to know too much, and some things you can't reveal no matter how fascinating the find! To what limits man? What does it take to make some people realize that the planet is on the bring of destruction and that the creatures of the land are fighting to save it? Why are people so shocked when theyre dogs attack them, or a bear charges at a hunter instead of running away? Why are they shocked to see the elephants charging and rampaging through the homes of humans?
Why are people shocked?
:3