Storm of the Dead review

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Arathen
Maid
Maid

Post by Arathen »

heh. and now that I've finished the book, I still hold to my theory. Qilue may have said Eilistraee demanded their deaths, but...with how Qilue herself has been acting, I'm not certain I believe that. Especially with what that sword seems to be able to do to people who wield it for too long.
"Courage lies not in the lack of fear...but in doing something you are afraid to."

Check out the progress on my book at http://kaavelbaelithar.deviantart.com/
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Perhaps the Masked Lord is in the blade? After all it would not be the first time a deity hid in a blade *wink*
Arathen
Maid
Maid

Post by Arathen »

hrrm, perhaps *laughs* but it started whispering [i:1kx5tba0]before[/i:1kx5tba0] Vhaeraun died, yes? Unless he hid a piece of himself in it...and it makes more sense to me that Lolth did something to the sword, since she did seem to be behind the events that led to Selvetarm's death.
"Courage lies not in the lack of fear...but in doing something you are afraid to."

Narsia Ny'Dhun
Resident

Post by Narsia Ny'Dhun »

I'm personally holding back any theories until the last book. Why? Because I'm still convinced that having so many different authors trying to work on a story with a preset ending is really screwing things up. So the only way to really know for sure what the hell is going on is to read the ending.
Harl l'drathir udos alure, Eilistraee lu'Anixiel ulu kyorl udossa zuch
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

Post by Unen_Stealthfoot »

[color=darkred:2f11q4bp]Good point. *waggles eyebrows*[/color:2f11q4bp]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Journey before destination
atiguy
Maid
Maid

Post by atiguy »

i really enjoyed it. poo on anyone who doesnt want to accept it as canon
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

Post by Unen_Stealthfoot »

[color=darkred:2eerre8d]Yeah, I'm starting to appreciate the way she's going around killing off evil dieties. :devil: Maybe she'll get around to Gruumsh, then Cyric, and Shar, and how about Asmodeuss? Mwahahahahaha! :devil: [/color:2eerre8d]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Journey before destination
Narsia Ny'Dhun
Resident

Post by Narsia Ny'Dhun »

So we should just accept it as canon that Qilue has suddenly changed personalities from wise, forgiving priestess to zealous crusader just like that? Why not just make a her a paladin then?

Eh, I'm still not downing it because there's potential for it to turn out really well. And don't get me wrong, I like what I've seen so far, I just don't like characters stepping out of their persona with little to know explanation to why just because a separate author envisions that character differently.
Harl l'drathir udos alure, Eilistraee lu'Anixiel ulu kyorl udossa zuch
atiguy
Maid
Maid

Post by atiguy »

if lisa smedman was going to kill off lolth i would assume she would have had htis sanctioned ahead of time by wizards. i assume it fits whatever wizards wants ot do with its direction for forgotten realms. i i didn't mean to come on real strong. after all thats why i said poo and not the other word.
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

From what I've heard from Elaine Cunningham authors are seldom told what the book should contain. But when it comes to such serious matters like those we are talking about, I can imagine a virus that triggers a great sign "THOU SHALT NOT!" whenever someone writes anything out of those "points given".

I don't like anything of what's happening.
Arathen
Maid
Maid

Post by Arathen »

Honestly? I'm flexible. I'm rolling with things. Hell, I'll even go as far as to say I like some of the changes. Qilue acting odd, though? I've already spoken my piece on that. I can [i:17n32qa1]see[/i:17n32qa1] why she is, and I don't like what's happening to her. It's my opinion, and very strongly at that, that the sword is influencing her. It's pretty obvious it's corrupted, to me...after what it was whispering to Cavatina, and how it has made Qilue act ever since she started wielding it...hell, what about the cut on her wrist that couldn't be healed by silver fire?

atiguy
Maid
Maid

Post by atiguy »

i just don't see anything wrong with whats going on. i enjoy the twists and the prospect of the old ways changing. i think it should be accepted as cannon. aside from that i think its a decent piece of fantasy literature and should be respected at least on the grounds of being decently written. what i don't want to see happen to it is see it be labeled something dumb like "alternate-universe canon" but thats my two cents on it. i like lisa smedman so factor that in i guess.
silke_rahn
Regular

Post by silke_rahn »

Being a Neutal Good, Silke Rahn would understand that sometimes the lesser of two evils is just as important as the greater of two goods. As Silke I may not always do something that the Paladin likes, like in the case of my conduct in the original NWN, NWN:SoU or NWN: HoU. I befriended a Kobald rather than kill it, made deals with White dragons then did them in, made a deal with a green dragon and honored it, used unconvential methods to defeat a greater red dragon. It was all so I could get the items need to defeat the threat to my world from the ancient lizard folk, in the Shadows of Unreintide (what ever the spelling) I finally defeated the antagonist by distroying the control units of the ancient city. All to protect the greater good, but in that scenario I let Dekin live though I didn't save the dwarf that came along with me. I think she was still turned to stone by the gaze of the Gorgan (Medusa) that was the antagonist. I have yet to figure out a way out of the eight of the nine hells, but I have redeemed the fallen paladin Aribeth de Telmyrand (again not sure the correct spelling).

Just saying that because I play neutral goods does not mean I try to balance choas with law all the time. I do however do my best for to what is right in the long run for the cause of good, I just don't always stick with the philosophy of what is lawful.
Drow on the Surface face as many dangers as those in the Underdark. Just because the Rivvil is friendly does not mean he wishes to help you, he may just want to get you off guard before knifing you.
Alak Xiltyn
Regular

Post by Alak Xiltyn »

my running theory is that as part of the shift to 4th edition they're going to either lump all Drow together as evil or given the strong anti "good drow" sentiment among many gamers do one of two things:

1. Shift Eilistraee toward neutral to appease the above group

or

2. reveal that Eilistraee is dead but that in absorbing her portfolio Vhaerun was changed for the better and is now neutral.

either way I don't see a future for the good drow in the world, and it pisses me off.
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire
Arathen
Maid
Maid

Post by Arathen »

Well, I have faith that, while it seems Eilistraee absorbed Vhaeraun (and I [i:6jet1ew3]do[/i:6jet1ew3] believe that's what happened.), it won't change her -too- much. And I really don't think they'll just arbitrarily shift the drow toward neutral. I have hope.