Temple of Eilistraee: Forum or Wiki?

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Please read the first post before voting.

It should remain forum based as it is now.
43%
It should remain forum based, but open up the forum to everyone.
No votes
It should be forum based, but with a clean style.
No votes
It should be wiki based with a clean style.
14%
It should be wiki based with a graphical style like now.
29%
Either way is equally good; it's all the same to me.
14%
The whole section should be dropped entirely.
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 7

Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Temple of Eilistraee: Forum or Wiki?

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

The [url=http://www.eilistraee.com/temple/main.php:16uawcd9]Temple of Eilistraee[/url:16uawcd9] section of the site is meant to be a knowledge repository, storing background information relevant to the followers of Eilistraee.

But I’ve had the site up for ages and it’s not really getting off the ground. Partly this is because of me being to busy with various different things to spend much time writing sections for the site and partly because there haven’t been many people interested/active in writing information. This second part is possibly due to the way it’s currently set up; people have to tell me that they want to help and then I add them to the Scribes group which gives them access to the forums where they have to post in a certain way (in a specific thread with each post being a separate ‘section’), etc.

So I’ve been thinking, maybe I should change the temple around to use a wiki system instead. This way anyone could potentially edit pages whenever they want (and the system would hold a history so it’s easy to see who does what and undo changes if needed) while it’d still be possible to restrict certain pages to only certain people (so only the Master/Mistress of Food can edit the Master/Mistress of Food page). It’s also a lot easier to use formatting and all that; formatting isn’t dictated by how the pages interact with the forum posts. And it’s a lot easier to add new pages and separate out information into separate section and all that; wiki is made for being an information repository (while forums are made for discussion).

But there’s already a system in place which, while not brilliant, does work decently. It just requires that people actually put information in there. Also, with a wiki-approach there’d likely be a separate registration to be able to edit the wiki (unless someone knows of a wiki that uses the phpbb user database :p ).

With that there’s also the question of the current style of the page; as most of the website the Temple section is fairly graphic heavy. While that does make it look nice, for an information repository it might be better to have a fairly clean style (think something along the lines of [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page:16uawcd9]wikipedia[/url:16uawcd9]). It’d be fairly easy to adjust the style to either make the wiki also graphic heavy or just do little things like invert the colors (make the background black and the text white for example). I might even be able to find a way to allow for easy inclusion of the parchment style. But a highly graphical style might get in the way of things.

So ignore for a moment the problem that switching to a wiki introduces more work for me (I estimate an evening or so to set up a wiki if I keep the style simple and maybe a day or two if I do more with the style) and tell me which do you think is going to be better? Which makes it more likely that you’ll contribute by helping to fill out the information?

Or should we just drop the idea entirely and remove the temple section?

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
DragonMind
Maid
Maid

Post by DragonMind »

I like the page as is.

Personally I don't wanna be a scribe because I like to invent/create things, and is not very heavy on knowledge written for/about the AD&D(+D20) universe/worlds.

But hey if you're all in for new stuff, that is likely far from what I described above, but trying to be suitable to what is on this forum, and where you wanna take thiings... then sure I'll be writing stuff if you want it.
Morfilmar_Desh
Maid
Maid

Post by Morfilmar_Desh »

I don't think I can give my opinion on this. :(

Or vote, for that matter.

I didn't know the section existed until now, so that just goes to show it's not the reason why I attend these forums.

I like the idea of it though. :)

I'm always happy to learn more about anything, as I'm not very educated in any form of lore :)
Plynn uns''aa tarthe...Sei''lor uns''aa duul''sso...
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

[quote="Morfilmar_Desh":3q5jnohs]I didn't know the section existed until now, so that just goes to show it's not the reason why I attend these forums.[/quote:3q5jnohs]
That's a little on purpose; I don't want the site to be easily found yet since it's not finished yet (in fact there's hardly anything there atm). Once there's more I want to put it up more prominently.

Though you might've noticed the big "Temple of Eilistraee is Looking for Scribes" at the top of the forum. ;)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Rooky
Legend
Location: A spooky wood, with man-eating little giant space hampsters

Post by Rooky »

Hmm...I didn't vote, since I hate voting, but on topic;

As far as the Temple goes we all know that's already been removed from Santa's Christmas list, since nobody has enough brains (apart from the senior staff which includes the High Priestess, Bhaern, Vendrin and a small handful of others) to actually post in the Temple about drow.
Shirl'le has her own problems to worry about so she can't run around neither Temple nor forum to try and bring things to some degree of order...she has diapers to buy...
As far as the Wiki goes, it'd be much easier to make it, and take care of it.
Give a select few* passwords and posting abilities, and we'll see how business goes from there. We don't need to make it neither light on graphics nor heavy, we can make up something in between. Some eye candy is good for business.
We could make up a complete history for the Wiki, a few RP samples, and some artwork that either we make it, or force the High Priestess to put some rags on and go and annoy the other more qualified artists.
That's just my opinion...

*Select Few - all those from level 5 and onwards with notable exceptions.
:3
Merinid Tlin'orzza
Regular

Post by Merinid Tlin'orzza »

I voted either way.
Tyrmer
Hero||Heroine

Post by Tyrmer »

Consider my vote for a "clean wiki" to be a vote for either that or a graphical wiki cos I'm not fussed.
Titles:

Master of the Lady's Dances
Recoverer of the Tome of Moonlight
Scribe of the Dark Maiden's Temple

High Priest of the Church of Rooky :D
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Did some looking into setting up a wiki, which seems fairly straight-forward. Haven't looked into adjusting the style for it yet.

Of course, the more important question is, if I do change it to a wiki, will that increase the likelihood of you (in the general sense) contributing to it? :p

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Tyrmer
Hero||Heroine

Post by Tyrmer »

Possibly...
Titles:

Master of the Lady's Dances
Recoverer of the Tome of Moonlight