Relevant video

Since the Chosen of Eilistraee is a religious oriented player group, naturally there is a place to have theological discussions. That is in-game religions; please leave real-world religion out of it. Debate the fine points of a certain dogma, how a church can enforce worship while staying true to its tenets or simply why one deity is better than another one is. All are free to talk about it here.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Irennan
Champion

Relevant video

Post by Irennan »

Found this video on youtube, and decided to share it her because it reminds me a lot of the kind of approach that Eilistraee and her followers would take for redeeming the drow (and of a perspective that would make the world better as a whole).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jraZdnk9Mk
Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Orin
Maid
Maid

Re: Relevant video

Post by Orin »

I try, more often than not, to think in this way. To try and think of how a person - especially a person I know - might be acting in poor behavior. I can say in earnest that I really do TRY to think in this manner, and maybe that's all that matters for the purposes of the thought experiment expressed in the video. Honestly, I find that when it comes to people being rude, flippant, or aggressive that there usually is something going on with them. There is one person in my life that I'm particularly harsh with in this vein, and her poor behavior, which often manifests itself against my wife, is rooted in her privilege and complete lack of empathy..."sigh" which only makes me more frustrated with her. This person, however, has had a somewhat recent life changing situation on her hands - that of suddenly being responsible for a ten year old boy. Suffice it to say, she's done some growing in the last months. lol. I think this is a great way to approach relationships, or even to meditate upon the days events and, as I said, I more often than not, try to see the world this way.

All of that being said, I often find, even while following through on this method of thinking, that when it comes to more abhorrent or intolerable behavior, people just...well they wanna watch the world burn. Case in point: Back in the summertime, a man who was working on a house a few doors down, came blaring into my, mostly quiet, neighborhood with his stereo bass up so high my windows were rattling in their frames. I didn't think too much of it until a little while later when he drove his jeep, system still bellowing so loud it shook ME while I was sitting in my dining room, THROUGH MY YARD. This meant, just for the record, that he'd already driven it through my neighbor's yard. When I went outside to confront him about it, he had absolutely no explanation for me. It was just more convenient to barrel through my back yard and chew up the lawn and damage a wooden gravel barrier, than it was to back out of his own driveway like a not insane person. He also had absolutely no remorse for his actions whatsoever. I'm not trying to be discouraging, just don't be surprised if this type of thinking is leaves you sometimes at a loss...also I think I just wanted to share that experience, cause it's bananas.
Let not the biting, callous and sometimes cruel words of unenlightened and uncaring minds sway your heart from your passions. For it is your passions that are the language with which your soul speaks to the world.
Irennan
Champion

Re: Relevant video

Post by Irennan »

Oh, I know that there are people who are genuinely terrible but--unless it's due to some kind of psychopathy--that's probably caused by past trauma. Even sociopaths tend to become so after childhood trauma.

I've been trying to think like this for a long, long time, and it's hard. However, I only draw the line at many politicians and the likes of CEOs. In those cases, it doesn't really matter what kind of trauma they went through; they cause way too much suffering while cowardly hiding away (and only deserve what French people want to do to them), and it's been confirmed by various research that those positions tend to be magnets for actual psychopaths (if you look at the indifference that big corporates or politicians can display towards suffering, those results seem to be very fitting).

Now, some may argue that psychopaths (as in someone who's basically free of emotion and empathy) aren't really at fault for being what they are--it's genetic, from what I understand--but that doesn't mean that they aren't harmful and shouldn't be given positions that control people's lives.
Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.